Track based roof racks....why so much?

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Track based roof racks....why so much?

Postby Robby on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:21 am

Yep just fit straight over, they really are quite simple to fix just need to be careful drilling.
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kuff on Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:26 pm

Thanks for the info gents.
I'm going to go with the clamps for now and save the extra $300. Can always upgrade the mounts later on if I decide I made a mistake.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby ag9111 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:37 am

Kuff wrote:Thanks for the info gents.
I'm going to go with the clamps for now and save the extra $300. Can always upgrade the mounts later on if I decide I made a mistake.

I made that decision and regretted it. Paint repairs cost me more than the track cost. Then I had to buy new legs as well.
I now have the legs that fit on the tracks that I fitted to my new triton and any future cars that I fit tracks too.
I will never buy clamp on units again
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kuff on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:07 am

ag9111 wrote:

I made that decision and regretted it. Paint repairs cost me more than the track cost. Then I had to buy new legs as well.
I now have the legs that fit on the tracks that I fitted to my new triton and any future cars that I fit tracks too.

.... Just when you think you've made up your mind ... :roll: :lol:
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby Airved on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:16 am

The Rhino clamp-on racks on my MN often decide to shift a few cm during longer trips. The result has been scraping off of the paint on the driver's side door sills. Don't really notice it when the door's closed, but obvious when it's open. I use my racks for either an awning, or our 2 13' hobies (about 25kg each), but always make sure to tie one down at the front to minimise sliding of the racks/kayak. Despite the minor damage they've caused my vehicle, I still wouldn't go track mount rails. I couldn't justify the extra $300 for something I use every other weekend.

If I could have my time over, I would experiment with gluing a layer of rubber under all the clamps where they meet the door sills. For some reason, the passenger side clamps have rubber glued on and the other side are bare metal, which is where the damage has occurred.
Airved

Postby ag9111 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:16 am

Kuff wrote:
ag9111 wrote:

.... Just when you think you've made up your mind ... :roll: :lol:

Sorry ;) ;)
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jas88 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Can anyone tell me whether removing the headliner and drilling holes for a bolt mounted roof rack is an issue on the MN Triton with side airbags. I can see the bags when I peel the liner back from around the door frame

Cheers Jason

quote="Robby"]
AussieAnth wrote:
Battle_Scar wrote:I got a quote yesterday from auto one Browns plains. Rhino track mount. 2x aero bars (100kg) $613 installed. Thought that was a pretty tidy price. Im pretty handy but drilling into the roof of my brand new car scares me so I'll get them to do it

Yeah that is a pretty tidy price. Retail is $634, so saving $21 and getting free installation is a good deal....as long as they do a good job!!

I've gotta bite the bullet and do the install this week. Tad worried about the drilling & sikaflex steps... :?

I did mine recently it was not to hard,although it's a bit nerve racking drilling holes in the roof, everything fitted nicely and the rivets are long enough. The hardest thing I found was locating the selly's butyl mastic recommended in the instruction to seal the holes in roof. I did find some at supercheap auto but it was a product that was no longer being stocked.

Cheers Robby[/quote]
Jas88

Postby Tony81 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:33 am

I just got the prorack Q4 tracks and cross bars to match. Does anyone have any picture of where they mount?

Just not sure if they go inside or outside the gutter channel!

Cheers
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jerry Hatrick on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:30 pm

I used Rhino Tracks then Rhino Backbone System . Just for something different. :shock:
Mounted on these are a Rhino Platform and Bundutop Rooftop Tent.
Was a little unnerving drilling the roof but you get over it and if I can do it most people would be able to.
Jerry Hatrick

Postby Dyksy on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:51 am

Looking into a track mounted roof rack system for my MN triton.
I am just a bit worried about the rivets working loose over time. Has anyone had an issue with this?

Im leaning toward a OCAM roof rack as they bolt into the roof, the problem with them being they don't give specific measurement to fit you feet into your roof? I would have thought some places would have better than others to mount the rack?

Any info would be helpful to help make my decision.

Thanks
Dyksy
Dyksy

Postby moses on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:56 am

I've had my rhino tracks on for a few years now and had no issues with anything coming loose.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kxboss on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:48 pm

I have the track mounted retro fit ones on my MN had them on the pA Challenger as well, was using a rooftop tent at the time and the rivet on roof tracks combine with the heavy duty rhino racks alow you to carry 120KGs rolling wight on the roof with a pair, Iam 110kgs the tent was 60kgs my son was 50kg at the time and no problems eve but My son and I only slept in the tent not tavelled in it.r.
How many of you use TJM or ARB without asking why well rhino racks are like that the best, no im not a rep but they have been terrific on my 4x4s
kxboss

Postby Dyksy on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks for the reply kxboss and moses.
Have you guys done much off road/corrugations and 4wding with the rhino rack tracks?

Rhino rack look like the go just wanting to make sure. My thinking was you can tighten nits but not rivets!

But it most people have had no trouble I'd be happy to go with them.

Dyksy
Dyksy

Postby moses on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 am

Lots of off road, not much in the way of corrugations though. I never have a lot of weight on there.

I'd recommend them (I hate clamp on racks). Depends on your budget and what you want to do.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:19 pm

I have had the track mounts on my ML for 6 years. Done a few trips with corrugations & never had an issue. Would not use anything else.
Make sure you paint the holes & plenty of sealer.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby als1200 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Im planning to get the rhino track mount for mine with the platform set up.
My only problem is what length?
1328 or the 1500 one?
I know its not that much of a difference more a look thing.
Any one with a platform pic on the triton would be great!
als1200

Previous

Return to Exterior Mods