Track based roof racks....why so much?

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Track based roof racks....why so much?

Postby Battle_Scar on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:26 am

I got a quote yesterday from auto one Browns plains. Rhino track mount. 2x aero bars (100kg) $613 installed. Thought that was a pretty tidy price. Im pretty handy but drilling into the roof of my brand new car scares me so I'll get them to do it
Battle_Scar

Postby AussieAnth on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:54 am

Battle_Scar wrote:I got a quote yesterday from auto one Browns plains. Rhino track mount. 2x aero bars (100kg) $613 installed. Thought that was a pretty tidy price. Im pretty handy but drilling into the roof of my brand new car scares me so I'll get them to do it

Yeah that is a pretty tidy price. Retail is $634, so saving $21 and getting free installation is a good deal....as long as they do a good job!!

I've gotta bite the bullet and do the install this week. Tad worried about the drilling & sikaflex steps... :?
MY13 GLX Plus pack dual cab Triton.

My MN & ML Triton WORKSHOP MANUAL page on DropBox. Take a look.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mmyqr05gb8c8hgv/eKE4W216Dj

FORUM DIRECTORY
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8230
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Robby on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:37 pm

AussieAnth wrote:
Battle_Scar wrote:I got a quote yesterday from auto one Browns plains. Rhino track mount. 2x aero bars (100kg) $613 installed. Thought that was a pretty tidy price. Im pretty handy but drilling into the roof of my brand new car scares me so I'll get them to do it

Yeah that is a pretty tidy price. Retail is $634, so saving $21 and getting free installation is a good deal....as long as they do a good job!!

I've gotta bite the bullet and do the install this week. Tad worried about the drilling & sikaflex steps... :?

I did mine recently it was not to hard,although it's a bit nerve racking drilling holes in the roof, everything fitted nicely and the rivets are long enough. The hardest thing I found was locating the selly's butyl mastic recommended in the instruction to seal the holes in roof. I did find some at supercheap auto but it was a product that was no longer being stocked.

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kwyjibo on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Don't be afraid to have a go... I recently install an ARB tradesman rack (sit in gutter and bolt through roof style) for a friend and was very jealous because i've always wanted one myself, but they are very expensive in my opinion, but also very well made.

Honestly the drilling through the roof was not that bad, If you've installed other accessories to the ute then this is no different to cutting the bumper for a front bar or drilling the panel for a snorkel, just be confident, measure twice and drill once :P

So I got a good look at the mounting kit to see if i could recreate it at home... i though why not give it a shot, as long as its functional! :D

Click to view larger picture

Ended up building my own tradesman rack as well as the bracket mounting system, mounting kit made by me (can you tell? haha) cut/drilled out of blocks of steel, and angle for the front-back brackets. The mounting system you see is as close as i could get to ARB, I'm happy with it! 8-) Due to the triton roof line being so curvy, as well as the front/back gutter being different distance apart it was a bit tricky, see in above pic the mounting pads are different distance from edge. Sorry i didn't get any photo of inside the roof where the fish plate meets the bolts.

Not satisfied that you can only buy racks that are 1350 long for dual cabs, so i made mine 1850 instead (flush with windscreen, and overhangs front of sports bar) so it is far more practical, and very low profile so i can still fit in low carparks. Its made of 32mm thick wall (3mm) fully Galvanised pipe, which i scored for free... it is heavier than i wanted but beggars can't be choosers :roll:

I have yet to get it painted... at least in the mean time the gal will keep it from rusting... but damn it looks ugly :lol:

Look at all that space!!!! :D as you might suspect mine is also wider @ 1400mm to ARB's 1250mm

For the whole project to this point has only been $260, the main driving force behind building one that is bigger and lower profile, for a cheaper cost. plus it was kind of fun... except for cutting out 4x of the steel blocks... that was the biggest pain in the ass... still better than paying ARB $270 just for the mounting kit alone :|

Anyway hope this helps someone sum up the confidence to build something custom... I grade myself with a C- (maybe I'll bump it to a C+ after its all painted black :oops: :roll: )
kwyjibo

Postby AussieAnth on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:33 pm

Nice work. Impressive!

FORUM DIRECTORY
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:17 am

Why so expensive
Stops this from happening
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby kwyjibo on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:40 am

How long had they been on there? Did you have pads or the clear plastic to protect the body?
kwyjibo

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:48 am

not too worried about the black marks- its more the "dimple" in the body

have my time again I would go for the track mount system, I would be on the load limit of 50kg with the 2 kayaks on the roof, but taking offroad does not help things, so I may overtighten the screws for added security that it is mounted strong, and the body takes this load.

been on and off for what, around 4 years?

they have seen a lot of the country, just saying now I wish I had of spent the extra, but others can heed my advice/ benefit of experience ;)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby diver albie on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Well I headed to Auto One today and wws quoted the Rhino track system at $634 less 15% then rang Roof Rack City who were $634 + $150 install. So I'm now torn between saving @$250 by installing myself. How hard is it really guys?

cheers
Dave
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Postby mrtuaniiex on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:26 pm

D.I.Y! Save the coin and spend it on something else. Im not the brightest person but i managed to do it myself with ease (rhino platform)

Hardest part was drilling the roof for me. Didnt have a drill stop so just did it slowly.

All you need is tape measure, hacksaw to cut trimming (i used a dremel), galvanize, sikaflex, rivet gun and drill and 5 or 6mm bit i think
mrtuaniiex

Postby triton_guru on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:58 am

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages ... usnuts.asp

Anyone tried something like this? Cant justify rhino racks prices lol especially when these ones are like less than half the price
triton_guru

Postby Jerry Hatrick on Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:06 pm

triton_guru wrote:http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/yakima-54-inch-track-with-plusnuts.asp

Anyone tried something like this? Cant justify rhino racks prices lol especially when these ones are like less than half the price

No but am interested. Just searching and there is an Aussie Yakima site.
http://www.yakima.com.au/
Jerry Hatrick

Postby pyr081 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:04 am

triton_guru wrote:http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/yakima-54-inch-track-with-plusnuts.asp

I have used the prorack tracks,

I chose them because I already had the cross bars from a previous car, and they seem alright.
pyr081
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton_guru on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:26 pm

if you dont mind me asking what was the price for the rack?
triton_guru

Postby Robby on Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:22 pm

pyr081 wrote:

I have used the prorack tracks,

I chose them because I already had the cross bars from a previous car, and they seem alright.

I had a similar system fitted to my first triton in Tassie first heavy load bent my roof.

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby pyr081 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:10 am

triton_guru wrote:if you dont mind me asking what was the price for the rack?

I'm not sure of the total cost but the track itself was about $70, I think I ended up getting repco to order me one in as it is not something they normally stock. I also had to get the fitting kit for to suit the track for another $50.

This kit uses the same part numbers that I have http://www.powerful4x4.com.au/whispbar-toyota-hilux-roof-racks-and-cross-bar-hd-bar-t16-bar-k327-q4/

Robby wrote:I had a similar system fitted to my first triton in Tassie first heavy load bent my roof.

Cheers Robby

Thanks for the warning. I usually keep the real heavy things off there anyway, 90% of the time it is camp chairs and similar bulky but light things, but I'll keep it in mind.
pyr081
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kwyjibo on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:53 pm

This is why your roof may bend if you load something heavy on to roof racks that are not installed to the gutter.

The gutter has multiple folds of pinch welded steel for reinforcement... Strongest part of the roof, the rest of the roof is single sheet wafer thin... Not a good idea to mount tracks on it.

kwyjibo

Postby Bigbirdalx on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:57 pm

kwyjibo wrote:This is why your roof may bend if you load something heavy on to roof racks that are not installed to the gutter.

The gutter has multiple folds of pinch welded steel for reinforcement... Strongest part of the roof, the rest of the roof is single sheet wafer thin... Not a good idea to mount tracks on it.

Great pic showing how it exactly mounts and what to
If im posting, im either on the toilet, at work or both
Bigbirdalx

Postby AussieAnth on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:25 pm

Great pics Kwijibo

I looked into another track mounted brand, and was warned I would need to remove the inside ceiling cover and drill bolts in, etc. But looking at your photos, its really not that daunting.

I just installed my Rhino track mount system on the weekend, which is drilled and pop-riveted in. My mate and I were both a little miffed as to how a rivet would hold them down as well as bolts, etc. If I was running big loads up top, I'd now consider drilling the rivets out, and running small bolts through. If all I have to do is peal back a bit of the ceiling trim to get good access, then thats not a difficult job.

FORUM DIRECTORY
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kwyjibo on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:31 pm

When i installed an arb tradesman rack for a mate we pulled out the roof lining because the instructions said so, when I made my copy brackets I just folded back the lining where needed, didn't damage it or anything, and was much faster
kwyjibo

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:59 pm

That's good to know, it always looked to me like it was the sort of stuff that would crease and leave a mark?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Jerry Hatrick on Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:36 am

kwyjibo great pics and thanks for that.
Can you advise if they are of a Triton please ?
Jerry Hatrick

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:28 pm

Yeah he has an ML triton - so maybe no side curtain airbags like a lot of the subsequent MNs but otherwise should be the same.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby greggwill on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Great read guys, I'm actually looking at a painted Alloy Cage on Ebay for $499 (plus 120 to ship to 1770 Central QLD)- made by OCAM Industries in Tullamarine Vic. Has anyone had any experience with this brand? Or can anyone recommend an alloy cage manufactured in QLD - as I have had trouble finding anyone around here that sell them. Cheers!!!
greggwill

Postby mattyk87 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:47 pm

Was looking at the same one I reckon, installation scares the crap out of me but, not that handy. How difficult are they to install?
mattyk87

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods