Track based roof racks....why so much?

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Track based roof racks....why so much?

Postby greggwill on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:41 am

Yeah not to sure about the install, I might chase them up for instructions before purchasing.I don't mind drilling the roof,I just don't want future issues arrising from leaks, rust etc, but I guess a quality sikaflex etc would avoid all that? Just need to get past the stress of pulling a new cars roof lining down.... Because no matter what, things like that never seem to go back in quite the same.
greggwill

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:46 am

I've been considering the tracks for a while, as the hook over mounting is just primitive.

Considering how the roof tapers in and that bars tend to only get used in one position, I'm favouring four sturdy flush mounts where bars can be solidly mounted when needed.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kwyjibo on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:40 pm

I had the roof lining folded tighter than a 90 degree angle while I got both hands up there to do brackets, and after I was done and replaced it the creases disappear as if nothing happened, just free up more of the lining so pressure is over larger area, honestly not that complicated. Make sure you remove all hand grips and sunvisors and fold the whole corner out.

If you do it correctly it will not leak, make sure you use the rubber pad below the mounting block, and spray primer/rust inhibitor on the freshly drilled holes, and use a shit ton of silicon, so once you put it all together you are 100% confident that you sealed it as good as you could... Nothing else to worry about!

Measure twice drill once, simple as and don't stress.
kwyjibo

Postby r3in3r on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:04 pm

I had a look at Mitsubishis info sheet and the Triton has only a roof loading capacity of 50Kg!!!!
Put 2 racks on it, thats 5kg, + a basket with 20kg.....leaves just enough for 1 Jerry can :mrgreen:
r3in3r

Postby kwyjibo on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:28 am

Any tradesman rack or high sides version is in the area of 40kg+ just on their own, it can take plenty after that, what about roof top tents with people sleeping (although stationary)... I've seen plenty of heavy gear on top...
kwyjibo

Postby echos1964 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:20 pm

hi all, I just got the rola track racks for 319.00 dollars mailed to my door. Got them from http://www.iracksonline.com.au/. Gave up on Prorack as no one wants to stock parts for them and Yakima.com.au (the distributor or wholesaler) wont deal with the public. Spoke to Iracks in Brissy, Monday, at my door Tuesday. Now to get up the guts to drill the holes in the roof.. :ugeek:
echos1964

Postby gra11 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Sorry lads still trying to figure this out, looking for a decent track mount system that will go into the strongest part of the roof by removing the rubber strip. Im guessing the prorack system does not do that?! So they only real option is the rhino rack system. Just not keen on paying the price but dont want anything that will damage the roof, will probably only ever have an awning mounted but would like the option of a roof top tent
gra11

Postby leighton on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:49 am

I am also in the same position as you gra11, its ridiculous, surely there is somewhere that supplies the same alloy extrusion for half the price!!
leighton

Postby ag9111 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:54 am

As previously stated, the extrusion would only be for the triton roof profile and curves in two different directions. I doubt very much you could get a straight section and get the angles right
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gra11 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:37 pm

Have found another lot that supply racks like above for $360 in malaga perth. so looking into that at the moment. It does say it comes with all mounting parts included so hoping this will include tracks or the mounts in the pictures as it should be more solid. will post pictures and details if it turns out to be good.
gra11

Postby grandchamp on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:16 pm

Got rhino vortex bars and installed for 760 altogether at roof racks galore, did it in an hour on a Saturday morning and they look good
grandchamp

Postby TheEscapist on Thu May 07, 2015 8:39 pm

I've got the clamp on racks (rhino brand I think) and have worn the paint off in parts. No dents like 26, but I think its only a matter of time. Another thing I dont like about them is they seem to work their way loose. Had two kayaks on the roof on the way home from a holiday. Had the heavy one on the roof of the cab (50kg) and the light one on the roof of the canopy (25kg) and the heavy one ended up moving the rear rack causing damage to the yak and more paint off the cabin :(

If I could weld, I'd love something like kwyjibo. That looks great! 8-) Id build it in 2 pieces, one on the cabin and one on the canopy. It's a great low profile - would mean I could put the 2 inch lift on the car and still fit under our (ridiculously) low carport!

If I had to make the decision between clamp and track now, knowing what I know, I would opt for the track.
TheEscapist

Postby Kuff on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:03 pm

Just wandering what the general opinion of Prorack is, also tracks riveted to the roof or the door clamp style?

Thanks, any info would be appreciated, just Repco have a special that can be combined with my RAC membership at the moment, means it works out quite reasonable.
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby ag9111 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:22 pm

Seriously.
read this thread and your answers to rivet or clamp will be answered.
not many happy clamp owners

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:26 pm

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kuff on Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:02 am

ag9111 wrote:Seriously.
read this thread and your answers to rivet or clamp will be answered.
not many happy clamp owners

I read through it but it seems the roof bending issue has happened regardless of clamped vs tracked. I was already leaning towards the track (riveted) as you get a higher load rating. My main reason for posting is just wanted an opinion on the Prorack, it seems most lean towards Rhino bars. Is this because it's a superior product or just cause it comes in black ;)
Petrol '08 GLX-R
Kuff

Postby dieselweasel on Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:34 am

Sorry to hijack this thread but it seems the best place to ask this question.

I have limited knowledge of roof racks, I'm guessing this is a fixed mount to fit things on the roof but are these things universal? What fits on something like this?

I've often thought about taking it off and fitting the standard rubber strip again. However if something would look nifty, I may be interested.?Click to view larger picture
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby dieselweasel on Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:45 am

I think I've made it sound like there's only one of these things but there's one on each side! (Obviously)
dieselweasel

Postby ag9111 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:57 am

That is the Rhino track mount system. When fitting that track they apply silastic to the holes then rivet it down. Would do a heap of damage o remove it I reakon
This is what fits it.
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products/ro ... x2-_rltfmv

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:21 am

I hate to silicone the rivets because triton gets a bit leaky when it rains hard here, mitsubishi fitted them themselves so not surprised they leak. I'd remove it to patch up then fit again
dieselweasel

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:28 pm

I'd go the track any day. Just got to find a suitable profile a the right price.

I assume the valley is flat bottomed under the plastic strip?

Re the hook on bl#£%&y things, they have worked OK so far and was lucky one day backing up a rising conveyor when my ladder clipped an overhead beam and dragged the roof bar forward a few cm. If I'd had a rail or bolted bracket system it would have made a real mess of the roof.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:09 pm

I have the pro rack HD clamp ons and think they're excellent. I wouldn't put a spare rim and tyre up there while driving across a desert but for everyday stuff I reckon they're fine.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:10 pm

I'd go the track any day. Just got to find a suitable profile a the right price.

I assume the valley is flat bottomed under the plastic strip?

Re the hook on bl#£%&y things, they have worked OK so far and was lucky one day backing up a rising conveyor when my ladder clipped an overhead beam and dragged the roof bar forward a few cm. If I'd had a rail or bolted bracket system it would have made a real mess of the roof.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Robby on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:45 am

Small up stand in the gutter

Click to view larger picture

Cheers Robby
Robby
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:57 am

Good picky Robby, thnx.

I thought there must be a ridge along there ( where side frame joins roof section), complicates the options.

So I gather the tracks are extruded to sit over this, or are there spacers, involved?

If I eventually go 'tracks' I'd run neutral cure silicon for the whole length and then plant a few extra rivets.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods