front bumper chop

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: front bumper chop

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:16 am

If calling out a bullshit argument for being bullshit is bullying then clearly I need a new dictionary. Sometimes we end up too afraid to call a spade a spade - it ends up being some sort of reverse bullying mentality.

The stupid thing about all of this is that I was actually trying to help the bloke. He asked for advice and got it but chose not to consider any of it in preference for relying on telephone advice which was no better than useless. My attempt to highlight how nonsensical that advice was has been taken as a personal attack when it was never that at all.

In the end for all the excitement we're right back where we started - the OP has no idea at all whether this is legal or not but is going ahead regardless. Which led me to wonder out loud whether he really wanted help at all - and I suppose that's bullying too.

Honestly people need to stop applying the victim label so readily and have the courage of their convictions and be prepared to back themselves instead of calling anyone who disagrees with them a bully.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby triton_guru on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:50 am

With all due respect cd you dont know whether it was legal or not the man at regency park ( the place where you take your car to get it off defect) might have a better idea. Now regency are great at telling you what is and is not legal. I asked the question mainly because I knew a few members had done a side chop on their front bumper and I wanted to know whether they have had any trouble with police etc and whether they had sourced legal requirements before doing the chop. Isn't that what this forum is about? I think you have taken it far too personally and should not let the comments get to you. Ive managed to get the info I needed from the helpful people on this thread so as far as I'm concerned you can delete the thread. I'm over it and wont be asking anymore questions
triton_guru

Postby mickkk on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:13 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:
Honestly people need to stop applying the victim label so readily and have the courage of their convictions and be prepared to back themselves instead of calling anyone who disagrees with them a bully.

I did, and my comment was deleted with in 5 mins along with someone else's who agreed with me. Unfortunately it seems if you do what you suggest you do you get censored out pretty quickly. This really shits people to no end.
You asked the question I gave the answer. If you (the mod team in general) choose not to do anything about it people will continue to turn away, especially now there is an alternative.
mickkk

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:32 am

Mick as you know I didn't moderate your post and you've had a detailed explanation as to why that occurred. It wasn't you being moderated for disagreeing with a moderator is was a belated attempt to keep the thread on topic which as it turned out hasn't worked at all. You can choose to call it a conspiracy but it just wasn't so and I thought you had accepted that by now.

Guru I'm only taking personally the comments where people have taken to calling me a bully or having some issue with me expressing a contrary view. It seems that people think once you're a moderator you should keep your mouth shut and never disagree with another member.

If you getting advice of the sort you described in this thread from your phone call is enough for you then as I've said that's your issue. All I was pointing out to you was that as I read that advice it wasn't advice at all. All they seemed to have said was well a cop can defect you for whatever you want so why worry about it? If there was more to the phone call than what you've published then that's cool too. All I was trying to do was point out the risks in relying on something that didn't sound at all reliable to me. If somehow that makes me a bad person then none of us have any bloody chance.

Cowboy Dave

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:58 am

Which is why Facebook pages are so popular. Plenty of people telling you what you want to hear.
L200Shogun

Postby twinny on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:49 pm

facebook is so freaking ghey...
twinny

Postby Rd1 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:05 pm

On Facebook you can disagree with someone else. Here it's do as I do, and as I say. No changes, just follow every one else. On Facebook you get to argue your side. Everyone puts their say in. Then it's all over, start the next post.
Rd1

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:17 pm

On facebook if you disagree with the prevailing view you get peppered with insults, offensive memes and names that wouldn't pass the swear filter here. At least that's what occurs on the triton groups I've seen on there.

As for the rest of your post well I disagree with you, but you were expecting that. But it isn't do as I do and do as I say despite what you claim. People are perfectly free to express contrary views provided they abide by the ordinary rules of civility and whatever other forum rules might apply.

The result is that here there tends to be a vigorous exchange of views with some useful cautionary advice thrown in. On other sites if you say you're keen to fit 35 inch tyres and some wheel spacers everyone will gather around you for a group hug and pat you on the back for your unoriginal thinking and no one will point out until it's too late that what is proposed is illegal and likely to lead to other failures like busted CVs and so on.

If you prefer everyone agreeing with you all the time and no one disagreeing with you then maybe internet forums aren't really your thing?

Cowboy Dave

Postby Rd1 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:29 pm

Gold Dave ,I see you over there on Aussie 4wd Triton. On Facebook or Disney land you can have standard height or maxed out with 35's. People get an open mic, you normally get in trouble for being a hater. As in the bumper chop. Bit like the thread on fitting 33's. There was more posts hating it from the mods then any other. I hardly get on here anymore and after the bonfire stories, won't be coming back in a hurry. So no more platinum membership for me. I will spend my $50 on beer and drink it while I read Facebook.
Rd1

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:52 pm

Well at least you've been open about your affiliations and sympathies and we now see why you're over here trying to cause trouble again.

Cowboy Dave

Postby biggibbo on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:56 pm

Rd1 wrote:Gold Dave ,I see you over there on Aussie 4wd Triton. On Facebook or Disney land you can have standard height or maxed out with 35's. People get an open mic, you normally get in trouble for being a hater. As in the bumper chop. Bit like the thread on fitting 33's. There was more posts hating it from the mods then any other. I hardly get on here anymore and after the bonfire stories, won't be coming back in a hurry. So no more platinum membership for me. I will spend my $50 on beer and drink it while I read Facebook.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out
biggibbo

Postby Rd1 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:57 pm

I read both forums and 3 different Facebook groups. Put a little into each. Gave a fair bit of info over here on body lift for a dual cab MN. Ben did single cab but could not answer a few things. I sent a lot of MPs to help people same as I have been doing on Facebook. So no affiliate apart from being a member of all groups.
Rd1

Postby mickkk on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:00 pm

I disagree with you on many fronts. One of them is I could fit 35's perfectly legal where I live by simply filling out a tac form if I choose to. I would not be breaking any laws at all. But according to you it is fact that it is ill illegal. If you are so concerned about enlighteningeveryone of legalities of everything you may want to add "depending on what state you are in."
mickkk

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:06 pm

Geez Mick if you're going to pick on every word of every post I make it's going to be a slow old road for both of us. I notice you left the spacers alone. I was just giving an example of the contrast in approach not trying to write some guide to the niceties of compliance with different state laws.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Lunny on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:46 pm

So hows the guard chop coming along??
Lunny
Lunny

Postby mickkk on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:47 pm

Haha, spacers are illegal no matter what state, as are extended shackles.
It's a it ironic that one of the only states you can go alittle more extreme, there's not the terrain to justify to 5 to 8k to beef up everything else to make it all work properly and reliable
mickkk

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:56 pm

You know, I was going to stay out of this thread but some of the preceding posts simply demand a response and this thread has gone so far off topic that my resisting the temptation will have no effect anyway..

So.....let's go back a ways
NowForThe5th wrote:We're talking about a bumper chop here, not other mods. Let's restrict the discussion to the topic, please.

At that point, the only posts which had been removed were the result of a member swearing and a couple of responses to that. This is a family forum and swearing is out. We all know that and the only ones who do swear are either trying to provoke a response or incapable of expressing themselves otherwise. No dramas there, the posts I quoted were just the last two and they were neither removed nor anything other done beyond my simply asking that the thread be kept on topic, nicely, with a 'please'.

Now, get this. One of these blokes took offence at being asked nicely and came back with a response that was out of order. The other just hitched a ride, unfortunately on the wrong cart. Those posts were removed. Why? Well, that's an interesting story....

Firstly they were off topic when I'd asked to keep the thread on topic. So, contributed nothing to the thread. Removed and both got a PM explaining why. Now here's the interesting bit. The primary reason why I'd asked for the thread to be kept on topic was to allow further discussion on the OP's subject of chopping his front bar. Never mind that I'd been vocal about my doubts on the legality of the mod - that's my opinion and was there so that others who may have the same idea were able to read through the thread and get a balanced view of the subject. So here we have a situation where a Moderator is looking after a newer member, trying to make sure that his thread gets a fair go and he takes his bat and ball and changes neighbourhoods. Seriously? I wish I had a Moderator shepherding for me when I first joined this forum, just as it would be a pretty nice thing on some of the other forums that I visit.

L200Shogun wrote:Which is why Facebook pages are so popular. Plenty of people telling you what you want to hear.

But isn't that the problem? I know I'd rather post here and get some serious replies, both for and against, than say something on FB and either get sworn at by the bogans or, from people who have absolutely no idea, a zillion likes which are worth about the same as a Vietnamese Dong. Why bother. I don't need my ego stroked that much that I'd seek support from a crowd like that. Nor is the grass any greener, despite protestations to the contrary, in the other neighbourhood. Try pointing out the legality of a mod and get shut down because you don't have 33" tyres and a home made diff drop kit.

And, while we're on the subject of big tyres, this whole paranoia on being bullied because you want big tyres is as much rubbish as I've ever heard. Just look at members like kwyjibo, or johnno or, more recently, Naff, whose mods have been lauded by all. It's not the modification that brings the response, it's the childish way that the responses are taken that causes the problem. Like many of the members on here I use my car for work and my licence is absolutely essential to my being able to earn a living. So, there's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion from that perspective. I can tell you though, the first time I saw johnno's Triton in the flesh you would have needed a mop to clean up the drool.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:20 pm

Sarcasm doesn't have a font!

The term is Cognitive dissonance (Wiki is close enough.)
L200Shogun

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:22 pm

L200Shogun wrote:Sarcasm doesn't have a font!

The term is Cognitive dissonance (Wiki is close enough.)

I got where you were coming from and agree wholeheartedly. I'm not sure Chris was disagreeing with you, more taking what you said and building upon it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:38 am

Exactly. In simpler terms, for those who missed the sarcasm and actually see it, and others, as an alternative. ;) And, because it supports what I was saying.

The question then is whether my magnanimity was an application of the Benjamin Franklin effect or genuine altruism? :?
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby snowman on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:39 am

Well there's about three words i had to look up :oops: :oops:

I didn't realise cutting your front bumper was so bloody complex......... :? :?

No wonder bullbars are so expensive. :lol: :lol: :lol:

......on topic i would be investigating if the chopped bumper, which now has less material, will flap in the wind at speed. :?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:40 am

I see the NTN 'Weed out the " plan is in full effect :lol:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: swearing
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:40 am

LOL
I vote altruism
The franklin effect would imply some sort of planning for a higher purpose. Scheming if you will.

Got to love psychology.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:59 am

ag9111 wrote:The franklin effect would imply some sort of planning for a higher purpose. Scheming if you will.

Probably right there. I'm not that smart. :D
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby c-dale on Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:50 am

Kegsy wrote:I see the NTN 'Weed out the " plan is in full effect :lol:

I see are not swear words. If only the teachers when I was at school knew this, the trouble I could have avoided...
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: swearing
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods