towing hitch

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

towing hitch

Postby m sciffer on Fri May 08, 2015 1:42 pm

hi there
A few month ago I purchased a al-ko trailer hitch for my caravan being a swivel hitch for the triton 3500kg type and I fitted to the caravan no problems but when hitched to the triton the load equalizers wouldn't fit . the al-ko hitch was too wide [ load equalizers is a four bar type ] so a mate tried it on his mazda b50 with hayman reece hitch and the same it also didn't fit when purchasing these hitches they don't inform you of these problems that could accrue with these hitches I have sent al-ko a email of the problem and awaiting a response also the top of the hitch locking mech is plastic and one corner has broken which is pretty poor when you are trying to tow a two ton caravan or more and relying on plastic to hold , has any one had this problem when they purchased this item also
m sciffer

Re: towing hitch

Postby biggibbo on Fri May 08, 2015 7:42 pm

Flip the tongue upside down and invert the ball. Worked for me.
biggibbo

Postby m sciffer on Sat May 09, 2015 7:58 am

thanks I will try that
m sciffer

Postby m sciffer on Sat May 09, 2015 9:30 am

hi there
I tried that it don't work . was just reading on the pajero site and other owners have the same problem you can't have sway bars with the al-ko off road hitch due to the unit being so wide and yes I know to take the bars off when going off road . I just need them for towing on road .
m sciffer

Postby m sciffer on Sat May 09, 2015 1:36 pm

up date al-ko off road hitch
I came across a site caravaners forum and found out it is recommended not to use a wdh at all with a al-ko off road hitch any time . this is great when you buy them there is no mention of this but in the fitting instructions it mentions this, it to late you have bought it .
m sciffer

Postby al coholic on Sun May 10, 2015 8:46 am

m sciffer wrote:When you are trying to tow a two ton caravan

If your van is only 2 tonne, you really shouldn't need the equalizer bars, ball weight should only be around the 200kg mark.
I know plenty of blokes on NTN that tow similar weights and don't need bars, on road or off, just upgraded (aftermarket) leaf springs and you'll be laughing ;) Especially if you are still running around on the stock rubbish.....have a chat to Ultimate suspension and see what they can do for you :)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby RHKTriton on Sun May 10, 2015 9:38 am

The equalisers really evolved to compensate for the pissy suspension cars were coming out with and then towing ever bigger vans.

When you see Pwardos touring down the highway with the nose pointing at the clouds towing the retirement present you wonder if some people have a clue about load distribution?

I've towed an excavator and then a Bob cat and it didn't upset the Triton's stance and that's with shot, stock suspension.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby m sciffer on Sun May 10, 2015 11:52 am

hi there
when you consider I tow a boat and also at times a caravan I looked at all the options of air bags , up grading the rear springs due to the lifting of the front of the triton , I know the triton has poor suspension but load devices transfer some of the load to the front of the car to improve the road contact with the front wheels to the road for steering improvements and load bars is recommended by mitsu . If I up grade the springs or use air bags and void my warranty the weight is still over the rear of the triton and if you use the recommended bar weight of 10 percent this could go up to 300kg and put that on the arse end of a nm triton . my van at present has a ball weight of about180kg and Iam sick and tired of having lights flashed at me when traveling at night due to the weight at the rear elevating the front.
the towing hitch was sold new as a 3500kg hitch and no mention of it can't be used with towing aids and putting 350kg behind a duel cab I wouldn't like to drive it but when you do buy it read the instructions after purchase.
also some of unit is also made of plastic when I lifted the unit off the tow ball the palm of my hand was pressing down on the locking device where the pin go through it is in three pieces and one of the ends broke which has a screw through it and using plastic as a locking device to hold the hitch down in my words poor should be metal
m sciffer

Postby v8slrtorana on Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:39 pm

I guess this is a good as thread as any to ask ?
What would be the ideal ball weight of loaded dual axle car trailer ?
v8slrtorana
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:34 pm

v8slrtorana wrote:I guess this is a good as thread as any to ask ?
What would be the ideal ball weight of loaded dual axle car trailer ?

How long is a bit of string??

There is no real correct answer to your question.....as a general rule, 10% off your GTM is usually considered to be about the sweet spot.....
Some trailers this is achievable, some it isn't. A lot also depends on how it sits behind the vehicle, whether it's level, nose high or down etc....and also what vehicle is towing the trailer too
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Return to Exterior Mods