Ironman Bull Bar - Custom Paint Job

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Ironman Bull Bar - Custom Paint Job

Postby daryn on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:35 pm

Hey,

Has anyone colour coded their bullbar from the hammertone to something else ? I have not seen any pics in the shed of any yet ? Its a thought as my triton is red and the hammertone will look out of wack, and it would be close to to a Sahara bar in finish if possible.

Cya

daryn
daryn
Valued Contributor

Re: Ironman Bull Bar - Custom Paint Job

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:08 pm

I guess you haven't seen my ironman commerical bar which i color coded.
Check out the pics below.
Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture
Cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby Blue on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:23 pm

daryn wrote:Hey,

Has anyone colour coded their bullbar from the hammertone to something else ? I have not seen any pics in the shed of any yet ? Its a thought as my triton is red and the hammertone will look out of wack, and it would be close to to a Sahara bar in finish if possible.

Cya

daryn

The hammertone is a tricky one - powder is a bitch to blast - takes for ever and will work out very expensive so a straight repaint is your best option however, the finish will be uneven due to the existing hammertone... You'd be better off doing what Silver has and repainting the commercial bar - 2pack will stick well to powder if it's prepped well and the result should be nice...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Choady on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:21 pm

Silver - did Ironman do the colour coding on order, or did you find your own means ? Also, could it be done so that you leave the chrome as is and just the bottome done ?
Choady

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:29 am

Choady wrote:Silver - did Ironman do the colour coding on order, or did you find your own means ? Also, could it be done so that you leave the chrome as is and just the bottome done ?

Hey there nah my brother-in-law painted for me.
There's no reason why you couldn't just repaint the hammer tone part, you could just unbolt the hoop part, then you could sand blast the hammer tone section and repaint it.
GLX-RSilver

Postby daryn on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:42 am

Silver, so what is the go with the driving lights/blinker setup ? As far as I have seen the commercial is plain jane in that respect.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby GLX-RSilver on Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:02 am

daryn wrote:Silver, so what is the go with the driving lights/blinker setup ? As far as I have seen the commercial is plain jane in that respect.

Hey there Daryn thats a custom job they are from the ironman non commerical bar i just cut them in and mounted them.
GLX-RSilver

Postby tassietriton on Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:25 pm

Note the ironman bar does come in polished alloy - see my profile for pics.
tassietriton

Postby daryn on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:59 am

Yeah I know Tassie, but I already hate polishing what I have got. I like to wash and chamois and thats it.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:42 am

Have a look at my Shed pics. I painted straight over the hammertone (after scuffing well) for the simple reason that flat shiny surfaces on the front of a 4WD get hammered and look the pits after a very short time. The hammertone finish hides this and touchups won't be as visible. The hoops remove easily and painting was straigtforward - I used a colour coat and Dupont 2 pack clear - nice finish but the hammertone texture does make the colour look a bit darker although the paint is an exact match for the wheel arches.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby subi_man on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:13 pm

I had never noticed how good a match your bar was NFT5th, nice work 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby daryn on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks 5th,

And you have a red one too, I have been considering painting the bar red like the truck, your's was so close as you went the way of the guards, at least you have given me the paint answers that I was needing.

Probably one last one for you, how long ago did you do the repaint and how has it lasted painting straight one to the hammertone ?

Cya

Daryn
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:06 pm

Yes, I thought about red for the bar too - for about 2 seconds. Just too "in your face" for me. Grey is also easier to match for touchup and spray work. And....I like the lights red.

I painted the bar a couple of weeks before I actually took delivery of the car last July (the bar arrived before the rest) and I colour matched to the guards on a GLX-R next door. I didn't actually fit the bar for a couple of weeks after the car arrived. Colour coat with a two pack clear has a claimed life expectancy of 10 years (longer with care) and I warrant my work for the manufacturer warranty period for new cars. Here's a twist - because the dealer paid me to do the work (included in the initial purchase price of the vehicle) it is actually covered under Mitsubishi's warranty. So, if it fails, I can claim it under warranty.

Really, I expect the paint to last the life of the vehicle because I know I prepared it properly and applied strictly according to Dupont's instructions. I sleep soundly at night.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Mud16 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:51 pm

I reckon the red looks good and ties in with colour of the whole car but everybodys to there own
Mud16

Return to Exterior Mods