solar panel

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

solar panel

Postby mnbrodie on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:29 pm

Ok so I was wanting to know what size solar panel would I need for when I go camping, would just like to run the radio a few led lights with confidence that my car will start in the morning, do the just clip straight on to the battery? Sorry just don't know much about them
mnbrodie

Re: solar panel

Postby diver albie on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:45 pm

I use a folding 120w to run a 40l engel and lights etc round camp and never had an issue. I have dual battery set up and connect the panels to the ctek but you cn just clip regulated panels direct to your battery
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Postby mnbrodie on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:49 pm

Ok thanks did you buy it of ebay?
mnbrodie

Postby diver albie on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:52 pm

Of course I did :lol: is there anywhere else to shop?? Can't remember the brand, it's in the shed will have a look a bit later and let you know.

Shop around there's a hugh selection available now, I went folding as they're easier to pack.
diver albie

Postby mnbrodie on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:59 pm

Haha spot on I'll check some out, don't want to spend heaps
mnbrodie

Postby Jeff Turner on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:19 pm

I have 120w panel from eBay mounted to canopy roof rack. Into an junction box from jaycar with water proof connectors then drilled into roof down to solar panel regulator then into second battery..when I have money I will get a dc dc with solar regulator . Narva or red arc or ctek what ever. It just runs lights etc. will need another panel when I get a large say 65 fridge freezer .. Most likely a fold away or something I make up.
Jeff Turner

Postby jmjLc on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:33 pm

how do you hook solar panel up to ctek on battery as i have one in back tray and we just hook solar panel direct to battery on camper
jmjLc

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:09 pm

The ctek 250s dual is designed to take two inputs, 1 from the main battery and alternator and 1 from a solar input.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby diver albie on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:16 pm

jmjLc wrote:how do you hook solar panel up to ctek on battery as i have one in back tray and we just hook solar panel direct to battery on camper

Have a read of the instructions really simply to, however you need to disconnect the regulator on the panels first the ctek doesn't like it otherwise. My set up has a 5m lead off the ctek with solar plugs so I can move the panels as required I also put in a couple of extra plugs on the back of the panels so I can reconnect the regulator if required.
diver albie

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:34 am

If you remove the reg from the panels. you need to check the no-load voltage of the panel and make sure it doesn't exceed the input voltage of the Ctek. You should also check if the Ctek has diode protection to the array.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby diver albie on Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:28 am

Ctek's will take solar inputs up to 22v / 300w. They also have inbuilt protection to the best of my knowledge, one of the reasons I put a flying leadoff the solar input was to guarantee I never reversed polarity and it also made it more versatile
diver albie

Postby Nerdy on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:11 am

I found a solar panel on ebay, but I searched according to used panels.
It was a 120w sharp panel, and got it for $80.

Comparing my panel to friends (chinese) panels, mine is much better constructed, with much thicker glass.

Might be worth search the bay?
Nerdy

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:05 am

diver albie wrote:Ctek's will take solar inputs up to 22v / 300w. They also have inbuilt protection to the best of my knowledge, one of the reasons I put a flying leadoff the solar input was to guarantee I never reversed polarity and it also made it more versatile

If the on board regulator is removed from the panel, be careful to check the no-load voltage. It is not uncommon to see panels putting out unregulated voltages that are anywhere from 48VDC to 60VDC.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby N8. on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:17 am

I made up a portable battery box for my auxiliary battery (Deka 105ah) with 50a Anderson plugs for car in, solar in and 175a jumper leads out and a few other 12v outlets using Ctek D250s and there Smartpass with a TBS expert lite battery monitor. my solar panel is a 120w folding panel from Camec which I had to by pass the panels regulator for he Cteks to work, I've been lucky enough that every time I go camping I've had plenty sun to run my 40l Engel and all my led lights and keep battery over 50%. Down the track I am looking at doubling my set up to run a 60l Engel and a few other items as well for longer stays (1 week or more).
N8.

Return to Exterior Mods