Snorkel sock filter

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Snorkel sock filter

Postby sydneymark on Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:56 am

Thought about titling this thread 'snorkel sock filter fail' but on reflection perhaps if i had been taking it out and re-oiling every 6 months it would be ok

The filter sock I got off eBay about 2 years ago, perhaps time to get another :)

Click to view larger picture

my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Snorkel sock filter

Postby sydneymark on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:41 am

they say confession is good for the soul, so might as well get it over and done with.

Wonder if I will get better fuel economy now? LOL

Realised that the uni-filter hadn't been changed/cleaned in almost 2 years also....

my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JohnC-08 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:38 am

I run the sock too, but only when I am doing a lot of dirt roads.
Works well.
Read some where in the instructions not to use it over 80km/hr?
Restricts the air intake too much?
JohnC-08

Postby sydneymark on Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:27 pm

JohnC-08 wrote:I run the sock too, but only when I am doing a lot of dirt roads.
Works well.
Read some where in the instructions not to use it over 80km/hr?
Restricts the air intake too much?

I have the top of the snorkel off until the new one comes along so can put my hand over the intake, gee whiz it sucks some air, doubt another foam filter would give much resistance.

might test and see if fuel economy changes over the next week or two though
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:21 pm

Yeah I though the same, low speed off road only? The main filter doesn't look too bad for 2 years old so the sock has been doing something.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby schilgsy on Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi mate, I have been using unifilter products for many years, on my ML I ran one for about 6 or 7 years.
I found with a snorkel you get a lot more bugs and general road grime into the airbox, even dirt and gravel.
I never went more than 5 000 klms without a cleaning and re oiling and after 250 000 klms + it was still in great condition.
I have never used a internal sock like yours but used an external ram head cover when going off road and in dusty conditions you could easily see how much dust it was stopping from entering the airbox, a quick clean and re oil after a trip would keep it ready for next time, but I think uv must deteriorate it a little, and snagging on bush and branches didn't do it any good.

Haven't seen an MQ uni filter replacement yet but will definitely buy one when I do. Does anyone know if it's a carryover from the ML or MN?
schilgsy

Return to Exterior Mods