Illuminator 9 inch driving lights (4wd Supacentre)

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Illuminator 9 inch driving lights (4wd Supacentre)

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:52 am

Most of the "waterproof" plugs are limited in their current carrying capacity. Deutsch have a higher current series but they are expensive and need a special tool to fit the connectors to the wires. For everyday use the Narva ones are available at most auto parts places or Jaycar has some that are a little cheaper. Again, you'll need the correct crimping tool, but they're not that dear. I doubt you'll find a much better solution for the H4 plug. I just wrap them up well with tape.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Maxiy on Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:12 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Most of the "waterproof" plugs are limited in their current carrying capacity. Deutsch have a higher current series but they are expensive and need a special tool to fit the connectors to the wires. For everyday use the Narva ones are available at most auto parts places or Jaycar has some that are a little cheaper. Again, you'll need the correct crimping tool, but they're not that dear. I doubt you'll find a much better solution for the H4 plug. I just wrap them up well with tape.

Thanks NFTF

They have arrived. Shall hook them up tonight and post my first opinion of them

Click to view larger picture
Maxiy

Postby coughy on Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:59 pm

there is 3 different sizes in the Deutsch plugs so be warned
in the size of the pins plugs nilly and i mean nilly identical
i work with these every day just so u know
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:25 pm

coughy wrote:there is 3 different sizes in the Deutsch plugs so be warned
in the size of the pins plugs nilly and i mean nilly identical
i work with these every day just so u know

Nice. I'll take a box of each size thanks mate :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:34 pm

yes they dear i see why u wont a box of each
lol work pays for them
yo would cry to the amount i waste hehehehe
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:46 pm

Light s all mounted. Taken a heap of pics. Will put some time aside soon to write something up.

Anyway, first opinions.
Build quality is decent, they seem solid, not particularly fancy engineering really. Just seem simple and solid.

Wiring harness is simple and easy to install, but quality is rubish. Will likely change it when i get the time.

They are bloody bright, i can say that for sure haha. I would describe them as round light bars. Amazing illumination for everything 40 metres 180 degrees infront of the vehicle,

Cant say the distance on them is anything amazing
Has about the same illumination distance as my high beams (have phillips +130 globes) so not sure how they will go witb highway driving

Overall im happy with themb for the money spent, cant say im blow away by them.
6 out of 10 for first impressions.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Maxiy

Postby Maxiy on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:21 pm

ok here are some pictures

this is what you get in the pack
2 x Lights
2 x Packs of fixtures (nuts bolts etc)
2 x Clear plastic covers
2 x ribbed plastic covers (think these are to disperse the light ??)
2 x Mounting brackets
2 x Male Deutsch adapter cables (it comes hooked up with female)

This is the bracket, seems to be made from powder coated 2-3mm lasercut, folded steel plate

Cable connection

Light (front)

Light (back)

This is my low beam headlights (have phillips +130 globes)

This is my high beam (have phillips +130 globes)

High beam + illuminator lights

In conclusion, for the money, they seem worth it. I purchased them Mainly for when i want to go for a 4x4 at night, for camping/setting up camp etc. so th spread of these should work well.

As a driving light, the distance does not seem mind blowing, but does reach as far as my high beams. Im yet to test these on a long trip so unsure on how kind they are to the eyes.

Night blindness, was something pointed out to me in previous posts, yet to test on a long drive so cant comment yet, HOWEVER i can say that it definitely could be a possible problem. Based on the short trip i did last night (on fringes of Canberra) it is a definite deference when you flick from high to low, very noticeable visibility shock going from VERY BRIGHT to low beams. Cant say i experienced what i would define as 'Blindness' but there was ambient city light around, so i can see this 'Shock' being magnified on a dark night drive on a highway.

Will wait and see if they fill with water or not.

Build: 7/10
Price: 10/10
Install: Easy
Flood illumination: 9/10 - very good for lighting up everything within 50 or so metres of car
long illumination: 3/10 - not much further throw than my high beams

overall 7.25/10

will try organise meeting with NFTF so he can cast an experienced eye over them
Last edited by Maxiy on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maxiy

Postby snowman on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:26 pm

watch this about night vision. From Mythbusters. Just go to the bits on the 'eye patch'.

the interesting thing was the time it takes to adjust. Not seconds - more like minutes, albeit from higher light levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-hMnPREi1w
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:52 pm

I'm off to the 2$ shop for an eye patch arrrrr....

------------------------
Cheers VS
I don't miss my old
viking shippy

Postby revolutiontriton on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:08 pm

Nice write up man, there good photos too. To me I can see a noticeably brighter spread at the length of your high beams and a very very large somewhat upward spread in close, I wouldn't have expected them to illuminate so high up close.
They look to go maybe 5m further than your HB
revolutiontriton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:28 pm

That's a first class review there mate, very impressive. Can you buy some more stuff now please so I can read more reviews? :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Jeffoz on Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:01 pm

Got bored at work and finally got around to using the bosses tools to get the lights installed.

Holy cow they are bright but like previous assessments they don't have much depth. Certainly more than my smaller light bars but the brighter light is like a brute force approach. I think I'll get a single HID to get some depth in the light and sit it in the centre of the two.

Jeffoz

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Just seen these listed for today only, so I jumped on them at that price! Usually around the $220 mark delivered, but these are $199 and Inc 10 issues of their mag. Not a bad deal so I thought I'd share it!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Tasc4life

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:19 pm

$800 lights for $100? Yeah, right. :roll:
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Tasc4life on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:36 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:$800 lights for $100? Yeah, right. :roll:

Yeah I know right!! Oh well, they got my money lol [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Tasc4life

Postby ag9111 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:41 am

Come on Chris, that's only an 87.5% saving. :D

Sounds about right to me

Hater :lol: :lol:
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby revolutiontriton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:01 pm

Yep, about spot on % savings if you read their marketing!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is a pretty sweet deal though. I've turned off 4wd action somewhat with the birth of the low range guys, but I'd still rather read that than nothing!
revolutiontriton

Postby JBH23 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:45 am

The thing that annoys me about these blokes is their use of the word 'worth'

Their interpretation of the word worth means that they can import a cheap driving light and compare it to a big brand name light that costs $800 to purchase in Aus. Because that $800 option exists, they say their product is 'worth' the same price. In reality they are built, bulk imported and sold for a fraction of what the rest of the markets main competitors cost. Their use of the word worth means jack.

I'm not knocking their product as I haven't had any experience with their lighting, but go and compare their lumen and lux ratings to other brands, Stedi for example. They aren't that much more expensive but difference soon becomes apparent.
JBH23

Postby Blue on Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:06 am

Having seen them side by side with the ARB offering, they are either worth $800 or the ARB jobs are worth $250... The ARB are suddenly very underwhelming for the $$$
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JBH23 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:15 am

Id like to see them side by side after 12-18 months of use
JBH23

Postby Blue on Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:34 am

JBH23 wrote:Id like to see them side by side after 12-18 months of use

That's fair, having said that though, the same was said for the budget ebay snorkels which are holding up just fine after 8+ years... Time will tell, my cheapy lightbar is aging as well as Narva etc over the same time... I'm now working in the lighting industry I'm seeing just how much "quality" product comes out of a non-descript box, gets relabeled, appropriately marked up in price and shipped out... As an example, the under cupboard LED strip lighting my builder charged $130/m for when I designed my kitchen, I now book to a job (stock cost) at $7/m and supply to the builder at $95/m labelled as a "quality" product people are happy to pay top dollar for - on name alone...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:24 am

Just an update for those interested

Lights still going strong, no problems yet, have not given them a good beating yet however (bog holes, rough dirt roads or river crossings) but have had them on through heavy rain and snow, no visual signs of wear or decrease in performance.

Time shall tell
Maxiy

Postby braydenc on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:43 pm

JBH23 wrote:Id like to see them side by side after 12-18 months of use

but for that price you can go through 4 sets for the same price as a single set of ARB... that's if they stay the same price as they seem to be dropping every day.
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:10 pm

But why go through the process of buying 4 sets when you could have bought one, of better quality?

I appreciate that some people have budgets to live within but I consider my vehicle and its accessories as just the same way I consider my tools. They're a means to achieve an objective safely and efficiently. There's no way that any tool that doesn't come with a lifetime warranty makes it into my toolbox and I take the same approach with things like lights.

Manufacturers, including the one who makes these lights and whose factory I visited recently, are not about real quality. Corners get cut in every part of the process - it's a competitive market at the bottom end. There is little, if any, real R&D in these products so the compromises aren't just in the product materials but also performance as well. So, you buy four sets of cheap lights for the same as one set of good quality and put up with less than optimum lighting for no saving over the long term.

Seems flawed logic to me. Like putting retreads on your car, because they're cheaper, then heading off to the Red Centre.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby braydenc on Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:38 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:But why go through the process of buying 4 sets when you could have bought one, of better quality?
I appreciate that some people have budgets to live within but I consider my vehicle and its accessories as just the same way I consider my tools. They're a means to achieve an objective safely and efficiently. There's no way that any tool that doesn't come with a lifetime warranty makes it into my toolbox and I take the same approach with things like lights.

look I agree on the quality side but I could never justify the price of some spotlights and after seeing these on my brothers 79 series I cant see the price difference with the light they put out either.

We had the ARB AR-32 flood installed on a patrol and the Dominators installed on the 79 series side by side lighting the same area which was a open grass area great for spread etc Yes the ARB had a tad and when I say a tad longer distance maybe 20-50 meters but he paid $1450 for his that was discounted as well.

The quality sure is better they looked better built but the thing you buy them for is light and in my opinion if a cheaper set can do the same job why would you invest $1251 into the ARB units?

my money says no but I don't speak for everyone but I have ordered the Dominators and 2x 7 inch versions for the top of my triton and as I said out side of the 12mnths they break I will buy another set and have a spare each time.
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods