Bull Bars

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Bull Bars

Postby Grover on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:21 am

Howdy all need some advice from some wise triton sages. I just purchased a new triton a month ago and am going down the accessories superhighway but seem to end up in dead ends :? . I am starting at the front of the vehicle and want to change the GLX-R nudge bar for a bull bar. TJM have a special on at the moment that includes a snorkel thrown in with a bull bar ao I am leaning in that direction but not sure if a shinny alloy bar is the best. My dilema is, that I do like the design of the ARB bar which is around the same price just without the snorkel.

Any comments on best bull bars

Regards Grover
Grover

Re: Bull Bars

Postby Greedy on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:37 am

Alloy bars are weaker than the steel bars. If you are after looks only with reduced protection for the front end, then alloy is the go. These are also lighter so will cause the front end to sag less. Keeping these nice and shiny is a PITA I'm led to believe. A steel bar will offer better front protection from whatever hits you take on the front but are also heavier so will cause the front end to sag more on stock suspension.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Danger on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:03 pm

I'm going through the same dilema as well.

Im thinking the alloy bar is the go for me as im sure itll take on a roo no problem, and if your hitting anthing bigger, its probably going to wreck the front end whether alloy or steel. Nothing looks better that polished chrome/ alloy, especially if youve got the mags to match. ( not that i have yet mind you)

As an aside, a point to think about is whether it has rated jack points, and winch capabilities ( perhaps not for now but the future? )

Check the look of the snorkel, i read in another forum someone got one put on and was V unimpressed with the look, so might be worth the extra coin to pick what you want?
Danger

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:01 pm

Guys, check out the Ironman bar. You can have stainless steel hoops (better to keep shiny than alloy) and a steel bar for a fracion of the cost of ARB or TJM. And...it's winch compatible. Plenty of the guys here have them - browse through a few profiles or just search bullbars.

Living in Canberra I've hit plenty of roos and both alloy and steel have held up without damage.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Choady on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:15 pm

I just had the Sahara bar put on last Friday and very very happy with the look. A little chrome mixed with a great looking bar with the quality that comes from ARB (and australian made).

I looked at the ironman, and while very tempting (excellent price), I've read about some installation dramas with them. I am also not sure if the build quality will be as good. for me, the extra grand in price was well spent, but you do pay for the name unfortunately.

The ironman bars do look good though. They just dont have the smooth finish I like.
Choady

Postby Blue on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:35 pm

Danger wrote:I'm going through the same dilema as well.

Im thinking the alloy bar is the go for me as im sure itll take on a roo no problem, and if your hitting anthing bigger, its probably going to wreck the front end whether alloy or steel. Nothing looks better that polished chrome/ alloy, especially if youve got the mags to match. ( not that i have yet mind you)

As an aside, a point to think about is whether it has rated jack points, and winch capabilities ( perhaps not for now but the future? )

Check the look of the snorkel, i read in another forum someone got one put on and was V unimpressed with the look, so might be worth the extra coin to pick what you want?

Was at ARB Kilsyth last week with my neighbour looking for some Jeep accessories... Got talking to one of the sales guy's who produced some info on their bar testing...

Steel and alloy bars tested with simulated 60kg kangaroo impact on the wings (right and left of centre hoop) at 100kph:

Steel: post impact deviation from true - 12.6mm

Alloy: post impact deviation from true - 280mm, bar impacted tyre and rendered it useless

this, according to his little document, is why they produce steel and not alloy bars... I would be sceptical if not for having an alloy ECB bar fitted to my old rocky, ripped left side off it's mounts after impact with a small wallaby...

Just a bit of food for thought...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jiminy on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:55 am

I purchased a TJM steel bar last year and it does the job well, and wish now I waited to get a free snorkel thrown in as well.

Last September when I bought the bar, I rushed in as steel prices were rising out of sight and the days of cheap steel were long gone.

The world has changed a lot in the last 4 months, partcularly the steel price.
Jiminy

Postby Greedy on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:58 am

Jiminy wrote:The world has changed a lot in the last 4 months, partcularly the steel price.

And the nose-diving $AUS. :x
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Grover on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:16 pm

Thnaks heaps for that

Nowforthe5th that ironman does look good actually your whole rig looks great well done.
Grover

Postby Mud16 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:49 pm

I would suggest looking at all the differnt types on this site and see what you like
Mud16

Postby scubapro on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:19 am

Guys I just came back from the Gold Coast where I saw a ML Triton with a ECB bull bar that does not require the original bumper to be touched at all.

It is made of high tensile aluminium which gives it the strength of steel but lightweight 32Kgs.

I contacted their NSW Dealer, Town & Country at Beverly Hills. Cost in wrinkle finish is $1,590-00 fitting yourself.

Downside you cannot fit a winch.

Go to this link & check it out http://www.ecb.com.au/model/triton.htm

Any comments before I commit to the purchase would be appreciated.
scubapro

Postby Sapient on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:28 am

Interesting.......I assume your looking at the "Big Tube Bar"? Would like to see one in the flesh, not sure the photo does it justice.

Being alloy am I also right in assuming no recovery points?
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby scubapro on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:19 pm

Yep the Big Tube Bar for the GLXR. I have pictures on my phone but I am havng trouble accessing them.

I did not think of the recovery point :oops:

They have a Toll Free No 1800 069 145. It is getting too hot at home Sapient I think it is time to go get a nice cool one at the GI :lol: :lol: :lol:
scubapro

Postby subi_man on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:20 pm

The only problem I see with the ECB wraparound bar, is that the front corner of the original bumper and mudguards hang down below the ECB bar. and are a bit vulnerable to damage

Click to view larger picture
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Sapient on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:17 pm

subi_man wrote:The only problem I see with the ECB wraparound bar, is that the front corner of the original bumper and mudguards hang down below the ECB bar. and are a bit vulnerable to damage

And it also looks to be significantly wider than the front guards from the pic too........
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:45 pm

It looks like a big moustache... :lol: :lol:
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby King Triton on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:14 pm

The ECB a bar does nothing for your approach angle and it would add an extra 20cm easily to the length of the car.
I have seen one of these side on and they look pretty hiddeous as it extends the nose of the car to far out and it looks wrong
King Triton

Postby schimno on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:08 pm

I must say..After living up north of WA where hitting kangaroos (large buggers) was part of a daily occurrence, I would not go past anything other than steel. If its a looks thing then its a waste of money in my opinion. Bull/Roo bars a designed for one thing, thats to protect the vehicle occupants. I've hit a roo in my old Ford Courier ute (wearing a TJM Steel Bar), busted a spottie, tilted the bar down a few degrees pushing the roo under the vehicle (as is designed). Allowed me to keep driving and not leaving me strandard.
Go steel...
"Its not what you do, its how you do it"
schimno

Postby KevO78 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi i just got the type 15 bullbar and still waiting on my snorkel, the bar looks great and stood up to the first "bump" (misses hit a roo within the first week of having it so it's paid for itself already). here's some pics
KevO78

Postby subi_man on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:07 pm

Very neat bar Kev 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby cyberhonky on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:12 pm

cyberhonky goes to find his sunglasses :D
Grammar: Lesson 1- Capitalisation.

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BlinkyBuoy on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:29 pm

No question, you gotta go steel with a bullbar.

Jack off it.

Winch off it.

Bash it.

Push pesky scrub down with it.

Strap your enemy's hostages to it.

Steel's just so much more versatile and will get your truck further more often than blingy aluminium.
BlinkyBuoy

Postby Buzzy on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:03 pm

I recon that front view of your truck looks the goods. Had the same bar on my MK
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby patto on Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:58 am

Im defo going steel, going ARB Delux.... I had alloy bar on my mand cruiser - i took a roo on little off dead centre, even though the roo was dead he still won the battle. damaged the radiator and tranny cooler.

As mentioned above when hitting the tracks and there are trees in the way etc, no problem just drive straight over them.

As with Roos my good mate in his hilux learnt a valuable lesson 3 weeks ago... Travelling down the road 110 fully loaded camper trailer and all 150lt fuel 80lt of water and there was a roo in the road usually we will mow them down but having his new girl in the car he opted for going around it. As he does that the roo jumps right into his passenger door leaving a nice big dent in the door.

It was pretty funny for me, but you could see the steam venting from his ears......
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Postby Adz on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:58 am

KevO78 wrote:Hi i just got the type 15 bullbar and still waiting on my snorkel, the bar looks great and stood up to the first "bump" (misses hit a roo within the first week of having it so it's paid for itself already). here's some pics

If you dont mind me asking Kev, what sort of cost was outlayed for the bar?
You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Next

Return to Exterior Mods