Building a tray - Spare tyre location?

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Building a tray - Spare tyre location?

Postby Headley on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi guys,

At some point in the future, hopefully later this year, i want to build a steel tray to replace the tub.

I was thinking the area under the tray may be a good spot for a few ancillaries; air tank, compressor, deep cycle battery and a 2 kva generator as well as a power/air outlet panel setup to each side.

If tyhat doesn't leave enough space for the spare tyre, is it practical to chuck it on the roof rack? Where is the best spot for a spare if you have a tray loaded up with gear?
Headley

Re: Building a tray - Spare tyre location?

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:50 pm

The spare normally sits under the chassis at the back. So, you'll have a space above the chassis all the way through - where people often put a drawer, plus either side of the chassis at the front and rear of the tray.

I'd say that with the right size tank (maybe 2 smaller ones) you'll have room for all of that and leave the spare where it is. The generator may need to go in a locker/toolbox hung under the tray, as with the compressor, to keep them protected.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Headley on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Yeah i would build a special guard/locker for everything so no stones/rocks will hit them.

Food for thought :)
Headley

Postby DaveXT on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Putting the spare on the roof will increase your centre of gravity and also create more wind drag.
DaveXT

Postby braydenc on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:34 pm

On the roof is pretty much the worst place to put it remember about your back when you have to take it off to replace the flat one.
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby carrrake on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:20 pm

I would say the original spot for the tyre is the absolute best spot. Your spare tyre is more important than all those accessories you've mentioned, so pays to give it priority.

You could always build tray higher off the chassis and make room for other gear, or even used side toolboxes behind the rear wheels, just not sure about the generator.

But, if the spare must go, then the next best spot for the would be on the tray bolted up the headboard.

Just make sure you post plenty of pics when you're done.
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Headley on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 pm

braydenc wrote:On the roof is pretty much the worst place to put it remember about your back when you have to take it off to replace the flat one.

Well the reason i ask is because i am tall and broad, getting things on and off the roof is no problem. Good idea about raising the tray height though, will keep it under there :)
Headley

Postby braydenc on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:25 pm

I tried it and I'm 6,3 its still a massive pain in the ass
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Postby MilkmanDan on Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:35 am

What's going on the tray, toolboxes or dog cage or nothing? Can always weld a bolt on and make a plate/nut to go through centre and it lives in the tray.
MilkmanDan

Postby johno on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:42 am

Headley wrote:Hi guys,

At some point in the future, hopefully later this year, i want to build a steel tray to replace the tub.
If that doesn't leave enough space for the spare tyre, is it practical to chuck it on the roof rack?

You would have looked under a tray obviously... there is a lot of room under there. I've just had a steel tray installed on my triton and looking at it there is a lot of room to spare. Maybe try to get an idea of just how much room you will need for all your extras, and are the extras all needed??
The mob that made mine have just made a new under-tray slide that is now 170mm tall and all they will do is lift the tray 10mm to fit it in. Have you thought about mounting some of the extras into a tray slide?? easy to fit things into, easy to access!, keeps things clean, easy for maintenance ?
As for putting your spare on a roof rack......weigh it up! literally! that is a lot of weight to carry up high, and the hassle of getting up and down.
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby Headley on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:28 am

braydenc wrote:I tried it and I'm 6,3 its still a massive pain in the ass

Good to know haha

I could build the tray a little higher if necessary to ensure the spare fits and i have enough space for all the stuff i eventually want to install there, but it should not be a problem either way.

Spare is definitely going under the tray.
Headley

Return to Exterior Mods