MQ TRITON ROOF LOADS???? ROOFTOP TENT????

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

MQ TRITON ROOF LOADS???? ROOFTOP TENT????

Postby BIGJEZ on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:27 pm

G'day guys Bigjez here. I wondering if anyone out there possibly knows what the static roof loads are for the MQ Triton. I have been in contact with the mitsubishi dealership i bought my triton from and they have told me that the max load whilst moving is 80kg (which seems incredibly light for a tradie vehicle) and there isnt a static load so it too should be 80kg.. Is this serious or does someone actually have figures obtained by MMA.
Any information would be appreciated.. thank yall.
BIGJEZ

Re: MQ TRITON ROOF LOADS???? ROOFTOP TENT????

Postby Merts on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:12 pm

80kg is definitely the specified maximum roof load for an MQ Triton. If you want to carry more than that you need to have a rack attached to the tub, either directly or via a suitable canopy.

I've not seen any separate specification for static vs dynamic loads, but the 80kg is definitely a dynamic load. I would be comfortable personally to put 3 to 4 times the allowable dynamic load on whilst stationary, like for example, a roof top tent with a couple of people in it. I've seen some comps done comparing forces produced by loads whilst driving on corrugations, compared to sitting still, and it works out around 10x. So theoretically, if the static roof capacity is 80kg, you could put around 800kg on it if it was sitting stationary.

The other thing to factor in with most rooftop tents is that some of the load is taken by the ladder when it's opened up and occupied, so not all of the weight of the tent and occupants is on the roof.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BIGJEZ on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks MERTS im fine with the dynamic/moving load although it does seem light for a trade vehicle.. its the static load.. you believe it would be safe at around 350kg?? If so im more than happy to stick a tent on it im just waiting to see what the weight of my rhino backbone system and pioneer platform come in at so i find a tent that when combined with these comes in under the 80kg.
Cheers bud.
BIGJEZ

Postby Merts on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:15 pm

I'd be comfortable with a rack and tent up to the stated load capacity of 80kg, and then a couple of people and their clothes etc climbing in to sleep. Obviously I'm not going to advise you that it's okay for you to do it, only that I would.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Exterior Mods