Re-fix snorkel pillar bracket.

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re-fix snorkel pillar bracket.

Postby dieselweasel on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:58 pm

Hi all, exactly as the title says, the three stainless rivets on the pillar bracket on the neck of the snorkel have loosened from the vibrations of daily driving. Rivets hold it on well but theres movement. I need it to hold firmly. Its certainly not a complicated procedure but if anyone else here has done the same thing and had a foolproof method where it'll never need redoing again, id be keen to know the details. Only really wanna do this once.

The part of the bracket that attaches to the neck of the snorkel with the three screws, does anyone have any heath robinson ideas for anti vibration? Bushings? Rubber plate? Is it worth it?

Neil
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Re: Re-fix snorkel pillar bracket.

Postby dieselweasel on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:29 am

P.s. have already read a couple of threads on here regarding a similar thing for the pillar rivets but not for my second question. Still keen to hear suggestions though although i think rivet nuts or nutserts are the go
dieselweasel

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:13 am

I used nutserts. I filled the holes with white sikaflex before crimping, to ensure no water ingress.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:14 pm

I used aluminum rivets. ..never moved in 5 yrs ..been up the cape and a lap of the country in there too

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby dieselweasel on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:01 pm

I was intending to use rivet nuts but anything firm will do, i had the feeling when i fitted the snorkel that with the steel rivets, the centre shaft bit snapped off at the first inkling of resistance, rather than the ball pulling itself untill it definitely couldn't pull any more... I think you know what i mean, ... It just didnt pull 100% tight before breaking off
dieselweasel

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:15 pm

ARB used plastic nut inserts that eventually pulled loose.

I used the same holes with alloy nutserts, but I did have to get creative as there is just not the depth available for the standard nutserts and tool as you go lower down the a pillar.

from memory I think I filed the lower nutsert down and had a couple of goes/ squeezes to get it to fit/ fill the hole.

been all good for a few years now and a much better fit and zero movement.

lots of things/ mods starting to need to be redone now my triton is approaching 10 years of hard use.

should see some of the poor "professional fitting" stuff I'm now finding and redoing.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby snakesoup on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:32 pm

dieselweasel wrote:I was intending to use rivet nuts but anything firm will do, i had the feeling when i fitted the snorkel that with the steel rivets, the centre shaft bit snapped off at the first inkling of resistance, rather than the ball pulling itself untill it definitely couldn't pull any more... I think you know what i mean, ... It just didnt pull 100% tight before breaking off
Yes thats the problem with the poor quality steel rivets and very thin material....and is why aluminum rivets do tighten up properly and hence hold quite well... if you were able to add some washers to the back side then the steel ones may be ok but that aint going to happen...id try just replacing with ally and see how you go

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby dieselweasel on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:48 pm

Its quicker for me to try some alu rivets which i have here than go out and pick up the other bits. I've got some tough black foam on a strip that i can use to possibly absorb the shock between the pillar and the bracket. Its thick enough to carve and thin enough not to cause a problem. If i have time to do it tomorrow, ill take photos
dieselweasel

Postby 2ENIL8 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:36 am

I have noticed that on the cars that have the stainless snorkel they use a bracket that goes on the inside of the pillar, I am having the same issue and was wondering if this could be incorporated into the plastic one's. It is hard to explain but if you have a roof mounted light bar with bullz eye brackets it is like that. If that makes sense :?
2ENIL8
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Exterior Mods