TJM aftermarket rated recovery points for Outback bar

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

TJM aftermarket rated recovery points for Outback bar

Postby Triton14 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:25 am

I have noticed that quite a few TJM bars are now coming with rated 8 tonne integral recovery points but not for the Outback T13 on the MN I have.

I have been looking at a few aftermarket versions like roadsafe etc but they are all saying only compatable with ARB or Xrox bars.

Does anyone know of a brand that suits the TJM outback bar without doing any mods??

Cheers.
Triton14

Re: TJM aftermarket rated recovery points for Outback bar

Postby Triton14 on Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:35 am

No one eh :shock:
Triton14

Postby Triton14 on Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:23 am

Bump.
Still looking for info
Triton14

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:36 pm

What in the world do you intend to recover that you need 16 tonnes of capacity for? That is ridiculous! I have some chassis straightening equipment that is capable of a 10 tonne pull. That's enough to stretch the chassis rail on a ute like the Triton. The strongest recovery point that you have on the vehicle is the towbar and that's only rated for 3 tonnes (although would probably take a fair bit more).

The factory tow points have been proven, by Mitsubishi engineers, to take over 3 tonnes, which is more than enough for even a Triton hanging in mid-air.

I've said before, and I'll say again, the whole business of "rated" recovery points is a joke, proposed and perpetuated by sellers to make money from the sale of something that is not necessary. Then made worse by clubs who insist on their installation while not understanding what engineering Mitsubishi have already put into the vehicle. Worse, a lot of the "rated" articles are not rated at all in practice, relying in most cases on a theoretical capacity based on material thickness and fastenings. Change one factor, like direction of pull or the torque used on the fastening bolts and the rating goes out the window.

Learn to recover properly and safely. Put the money you save on BS rated recovery points into something else that is useful.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:18 am

The bigger worry is that some I've seen stick out like blades and others bridge the crumple zones in the chassis rails. This would fail ADRs and your insurance could be worth less than the dunny paper you're going to wipe your ass with after an accident.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby WUNSIE on Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:52 pm

Not to mention some people who go all out and then use cheap arse mild steel bolts from Bunnings because a correct fitting kit might of cost an extra few dollars
WUNSIE

Postby BlueTriton59 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:13 am

RHKTriton wrote:The bigger worry is that some I've seen stick out like blades and others bridge the crumple zones in the chassis rails. This would fail ADRs and your insurance could be worth less than the dunny paper you're going to wipe your ass with after an accident.

Is there any bullbar available that has been crash tested on a Triton to establish its effect on crumple zones and crash safety performance?
BlueTriton59

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:56 am

Nope. Not by the manufacturers anyway. Plenty of owners have done their own crash testing, but that's hardly scientific. Still, having owned a paint & panel shop for the last 20 years I've seen lots of results and, generally speaking, most do the job that they're intended to do. The ones that don't are the crazy 5 post bars seen at ute musters (they're too strong) and the home made jobbies made from mild steel and water pipe.

That said, one needs to understand that their task is not to provide an impenetrable barrier but rather to take impacts up to a certain level and then crumple, absorbing force before it gets to the rest of the vehicle. Well designed bullbars have their own crumple zones and, for winch bars, they're either strengthened across the middle or designed to be used with a winch cradle where strengthening might compromise the impact absorption designed in.

ARB do "impact testing" of the bar itself, by swinging a 44 gallon drum at it. The others? Don't know, but if ARB can't afford to write off a ute for every bullbar model they make then, sure as eggs, none of the others will.

Note that all bullbars should come with a plate or sticker attached that confirms that it's been designed (and maybe tested) to the relevant standard. If a bar doesn't have this (and some don't) then move on to the next one. As for 'recovery points', just ask them for a copy of the rating certificate......and watch them run for cover.

I've seen the same as what RHK's talking about. You don't need a crash test to know, when you see a bar that bridges crumple zones on the chassis, that in a serious accident the result is not going to be pretty.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Exterior Mods