Qld sliders

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Qld sliders

Postby jop on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:43 am

Ah the infamous ormeau mud pit, that was over a mates (5" lifted, 35" tyre) bonnet a few months ago, that mud stinks :?

Sorry to hear of your dramas oink, hopefully errold will look after you.
jop

Postby oink on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:52 pm

A couple of photos re fitting the sliders.

Click to view larger picture

Last edited by oink on Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spent most of my money on booze, women, guns, utes, motorcycles, fishing & boats.

I wasted the rest!
oink

Postby oink on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:57 pm

Don't know why the third photo didn't work but the other two show using a bottle jack and and a lump of wood to bend the bracket around the main chassis beam after being spread apart with a sledge hammer to fit.
Spent most of my money on booze, women, guns, utes, motorcycles, fishing & boats.

I wasted the rest!
oink

Postby daryn on Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Oink, it needs a square bracket " [ "placed in the beginning, just edit the post and insert.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby oink on Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks for that, another thing learned tonight!

The third photo we were getting ready to bend the slider on the brackets to give it some clearance away from the cab body to stop it vibrating against it, using the hoist and the power of Hydraulics!(They would never of fitted otherwise)

I wasted the rest!
oink

Postby oink on Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:55 pm

I wasted the rest!
oink

Postby oink on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:03 pm

This one sums it up, nothing more to say.

I wasted the rest!
oink

Postby tryhard on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:42 am

you're right - a picture paints a thousand words !

Your chassis rails couldn't have put on weight round the bottom end I suppose ? I know in the 12 years we've been married that part of he missus has grown a bit so maye the same applies to utes ;-)

Seriously though - doesn't really look 'made to fit' ... should be solid now they're on though ?
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Postby oink on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:09 pm

I'm only worried now about them catching up on something, there is still a gap around the the bottom of the mount and it does steal a bit more from the clearance.

I wasted the rest!
oink

Postby tryhard on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:16 pm

oink wrote:I'm only worried now about them catching up on something, there is still a gap around the the bottom of the mount and it does steal a bit more from the clearance.

annoying to lose the clearance, but what about maybe steam cleaning the gaps and filling with Sikaflex to stop anything getting wedged in there ?
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Postby oink on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:29 pm

That's an idea I suppose, but, all in all, I shouldn't have to be doing that.

After today's trip at Newcastle, I'll have look under tomorrow and see the results, there were a few bumps and scraps today.

I wasted the rest!
oink

Postby snowman on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:05 pm

oink,

you are a more patient man than me.

the lesson learned here i reckon (i went through this with canopy and now suspension) is to get the supplier to fit it. then they cannot blame anyone else etc.

now i know it was impossible in this case but i would be having serious discussions with the maker.....

he has made a number of them so why were yours no good? i would be decidedly nervous if i was one of the other guys. Make sure you tell them so it doesn't happen again at least.

good to see you on the weekend again mate......
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:09 am

snowman wrote:oink,

you are a more patient man than me.

the lesson learned here i reckon (i went through this with canopy and now suspension) is to get the supplier to fit it. then they cannot blame anyone else etc.

now i know it was impossible in this case but i would be having serious discussions with the maker.....

he has made a number of them so why were yours no good? i would be decidedly nervous if i was one of the other guys. Make sure you tell them so it doesn't happen again at least.

good to see you on the weekend again mate......

Yep :shock:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby smeghead on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:29 am

I received mine yesterday (finally!).

I did a quick measure of the bracket widths and the chasis rail widths and it looks like its going to be very, very tight, if they fit at all.

Hopefully I will try and mount them this arvo... I will lets you all know how they go.
Sean

'07 | GLX-R | 3.2 DiD | Manual | Gunmetal Grey

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
smeghead

Postby oink on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:43 pm

Hope yours are better than mine, I haven't had a chance yet to ring and complain, I'll try and see if i can do it tomorrow. :evil:

I wasted the rest!
oink

Postby smeghead on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:36 pm

Well... 5 hours later, my sliders are on. What a pr*ck of a job that was.

1st of all, sorry no pics... I will try and take some tomorrow.
2nd, I highly recommend that you do not attempt to do this alone. It is a complete carnt of a job by yourself.

Some of the brackets on mine are just too narrow (around 5mm) to fit around the chassis so by the time you get the base of the bracket up against the rail, the top has splayed apart by a huge amount.

I had to use G-clamps and 2 hydraulic jacks to get one rail on, and I had to drill out one of the holes on the other so that one would fit.

I don't think mine were as bad as oinks but it was still a tough job to get them on. I haven't had much luck with the group buys. First the bashplates I got on here had to be modified to make them fit and now the sliders. :evil:

I think Snowman has made a very good point. I think I will get future mods fitted by whoever I buy it off, that way it is their problem (they can lose the skin off their knuckles ;) )...
But honestly, when you pay just shy of a grand for something I don't think you should have to modify it, kick it, bend it and swear at it to make it fit.

That being said, the sliders are of very high quality and now that they are on I am really happy with them.
I still have to drill the holes to fit the front mounts but that can wait til tomorrow night...

All in all, although it was bloody tough getting them on, I am stoked with them. They look the goods... 8-)
Sean

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
smeghead

Postby kwyjibo on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:05 pm

i also still have yet to drill the outside hole (closest to the sill) on the front mounts, i've just been lazy and didn't have a big enough drillbit in the shed, took too much effort with a 8mm bit to widen the holes enough for just one bolt either side and it looked rough as guts at least u cant see em, but they've held there on one bolt nevertheless, ill get around to it eventually lol :oops:
kwyjibo

Postby oink on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:10 pm

ShiiiT, you took longer than me and ARB! :roll:

I wasted the rest!
oink

Postby smeghead on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Yeah mate... its a nightmare on your own... had to use 2 jacks and whole lot of bricks just to position the buggers! Then the fun part started... the bending and hammering and clamping and cursing...
Sean

smeghead

Postby oink on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:17 pm

I know what a dick of a job you had!

I'm happy with the finish of the product etc, but the measurements are "way out"

I agree with your comment about the price, they are too expensive for something that doesn't fit and you have to modify to fit.

They "bolt on" is just a plain "boltshit" statement!

I hate to say this, but I'm glad I'm not the only one that had trouble, you back up my problems with yours.

It just wasn't ME!

Not happy "Jan" :evil:

I wasted the rest!
oink

Postby oink on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi kwyjibo

Did your mounts fit around the rails ?

Or did you have to spread the top of the mounts wider as well?

I wasted the rest!
oink

Postby kwyjibo on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:21 pm

mmm mine fit with very little effort, i fitted them by myself by pushing the brackets up to fit around the rails (about 3/4 the way on) then used the jack to force them all the way on which widened them further apart at the top, but it was nothing like yours as my bolts had about 5-10mm of room for the nuts and washers to all screw on, i was able to do it by hand, it was a tight squeeze around the fuel tank though (hadto put the nut in place first then slide the bolt through and screw as it came out the hole, i had the nuts on the inside of the chassis)
kwyjibo

Postby King Triton on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:45 am

Oink, Smeghead

You guys are being way to nice. You have paid with your own hard earned cash for something that does not fit, If it was me i would be absolutley pissed and on the phone straight away to let him know and give him a chance to sort it out.
In Errolds defense if someone does not let him know than how can he fix the problem. Every time he makes them they will be wrong. Obviously his template is out somewhere or a couple of measurements are not right.
The minimum i would be asking is for him to pay for freight back to the his workshop, fix the issues and then send them back at his cost.
You need to give Errold the chance to fix his misstakes (especially if he does not know they are wrong) before you give them a bad name on a public forum.
King Triton

Postby Greedy on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:00 am

We measured up the chassis rails on Mr T's and Boycee's cars awhile back and were surprised how much the measurements varied between the two. It doesn't surprise me that some are experiencing problems in the fitting if the sliders been make to the same pattern with no knowledge of the variation. Not that that info helps you guys now. :roll:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby avaerrold on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:32 am

King Triton wrote:Oink, Smeghead

You guys are being way to nice. You have paid with your own hard earned cash for something that does not fit, If it was me i would be absolutley pissed and on the phone straight away to let him know and give him a chance to sort it out.
In Errolds defense if someone does not let him know than how can he fix the problem. Every time he makes them they will be wrong. Obviously his template is out somewhere or a couple of measurements are not right.
The minimum i would be asking is for him to pay for freight back to the his workshop, fix the issues and then send them back at his cost.
You need to give Errold the chance to fix his misstakes (especially if he does not know they are wrong) before you give them a bad name on a public forum.

HI THERE
yes i agree king triton, i realy dont appreciate anyone that gets on the internet and just whinges about somthing with out even a phone call to a manufacturer if there is a challenge with a product of any sort.
And yes if there is a diifference with a model, it is somthing we have not come across.

Errold
avaerrold

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods