Bullbars

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Bullbars

Postby snowman on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:34 pm

fridgie wrote:
Tex wrote:Fridgie, do your headlight reflect off of the VERY shiny chrome hoop :?:
Looks good mate 8-)

edit- spelling :oops:

I thought it would but as the hoop leans back the top is only slightly illuminated as if someone was shining a torch on it. You can only see the top half of the horizontal section from the drivers seat (maybe more if you're taller than 6ft... :lol: )

what about when driving away from the sun and it reflects back off the hoop? i have encountered this on white bull bars and needed black tape on the back of them.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Bullbars

Postby fridgie on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:45 pm

snowman wrote:
fridgie wrote:
Tex wrote:Fridgie, do your headlight reflect off of the VERY shiny chrome hoop :?:
Looks good mate 8-)

edit- spelling :oops:

I thought it would but as the hoop leans back the top is only slightly illuminated as if someone was shining a torch on it. You can only see the top half of the horizontal section from the drivers seat (maybe more if you're taller than 6ft... :lol: )

what about when driving away from the sun and it reflects back off the hoop? i have encountered this on white bull bars and needed black tape on the back of them.

Sun??? What is sun?? We live in Qld ya know ;) :roll:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby TJR on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:02 pm

For a while now I've been reading this excellent forum trying to decide which bullbar to get - and really like the look and price of the Ironman Protector. So I went down to my local rep and was told that the Ironman Protector was currently unavailable as they are making some changes to it. Apparently the covering on the base of the bullbar which was hammertone grey had some rust issues and is being updated to a powder coated gun-metal grey. This new version should be available by the end of March and should retail for the same price - roughly $1300.

I thought that this was great news as I have a gun-metal grey MN Triton and wouldn't have to worry about the cost of colour coding if it came standard. Has anyone else heard about this update to confirm the story that I was told? Also, what is your opinion on the Ironman Protector bullbar?

-Toby
Toby
TJR

Postby UAV on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:08 pm

hey toby, are you sure they werent meaning the new ironman deluxe?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ironman-Deluxe-S ... _500wt_922
Last edited by UAV on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAV

Postby TJR on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:23 pm

No, definately Protector - the stainless steel loops remain the same (bolted on..) but apparently the base will change.

-Toby
Last edited by TJR on Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toby
TJR

Postby tassie_ml on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:22 pm

TJR wrote:For a while now I've been reading this excellent forum trying to decide which bullbar to get - and really like the look and price of the Ironman Protector. So I went down to my local rep and was told that the Ironman Protector was currently unavailable as they are making some changes to it. Apparently the covering on the base of the bullbar which was hammertone grey had some rust issues and is being updated to a powder coated gun-metal grey. This new version should be available by the end of March and should retail for the same price - roughly $1300.

I thought that this was great news as I have a gun-metal grey MN Triton and wouldn't have to worry about the cost of colour coding if it came standard. Has anyone else heard about this update to confirm the story that I was told? Also, what is your opinion on the Ironman Protector bullbar?

-Toby

yeah Toby, I was told the same thing 2 days ago. I am trying to narrow the field down for a front bar as well and when I spoke to the local Ironman dealer, they told me that they are reviewing the finish on the lower half as the hammertone wasnt holding up. Though, they were not sure when they would be fixed and available again.

I have also noticed that neither the TJM, ARB or Ironman bull bars have recovery points on them. They have high lift jacking points but no where to hook a snatch strap to. Does anyone know why?? or am I going blind but I cant see any on the pics of them.

cheers
Mark

07 Cyber Blue GLX R with a few mods

sent from my mobile rock using smoke signals
tassie_ml

Postby Gfoss83 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:21 am

I have also noticed that neither the TJM, ARB or Ironman bull bars have recovery points on them. They have high lift jacking points but no where to hook a snatch strap to. Does anyone know why?? or am I going blind but I cant see any on the pics of them.

cheers[/quote]

I think thats because your not supposed to tow or snatch from the bullbar, thats not what they're designed for. Russell Coight proved that one for us!!! :lol:
Gfoss83

Postby Naff on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:07 am

Yeah I don't think any bars have recovery points on them. tassie, check out the latest 4WD Action magazine - there is a new company in there and they seem to be doing a few 'look-a-like' bullbars (among other accessories), including the ARB Sahara bar. There is another on in there that looks like a TJM bar. The website is www.mcc4x4.com - no prices listed though.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tassie_ml on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Naff wrote:Yeah I don't think any bars have recovery points on them. tassie, check out the latest 4WD Action magazine - there is a new company in there and they seem to be doing a few 'look-a-like' bullbars (among other accessories), including the ARB Sahara bar. There is another on in there that looks like a TJM bar. The website is http://www.mcc4x4.com - no prices listed though.

I spoke with them this afternoon Naff. The mcc4x4.com website appears to be the importer and the retailer is here at http://www.sportsrange.com.au

I am interested in this bar

Click to view larger picture

obviously for my ML. It is winch compatable and retails for $1309 + freight which is very respectable for an alloy bar.

any thoughts
Mark

tassie_ml

Postby Naff on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Looks good for an alloy bar! Good price too.. I guess the big question will be quality.. bit of an unknown at this stage?

Nobody post the price up of the Sahara look-a-like because I will possible cry like a big girl (no offence intended to female members).
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tassie_ml on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Naff wrote:Looks good for an alloy bar! Good price too.. I guess the big question will be quality.. bit of an unknown at this stage?

Nobody post the price up of the Sahara look-a-like because I will possible cry like a big girl (no offence intended to female members).

yeah, the price is good. Is there a member in WA that could check out the quality and report back?? they have shops in Welshpool and Wangara ;)
Mark

tassie_ml

Bullbars

Postby fridgie on Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:44 pm

Naff wrote:Looks good for an alloy bar! Good price too.. I guess the big question will be quality.. bit of an unknown at this stage?

So you don't wanna know that I found one ages ago (ironman) but haven't seen it since..... Sahara look alike for $1200 ;) was on eBay but may be an overseas thing :(
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby UAV on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:39 am

hey Brendan, do you or does anybody know if MCC are the manufactures these bars?

UAV

Postby Eureka on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:08 pm

That looks tuff UAV. Not much room for lights though.

Rear bar/rack looks like the MCC one in Brandans other thread.
Eureka

Postby Kegsy on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:00 pm

That's gotta be a custom job I reckon, look at the radius' etc on it. A lot of work went into that bar.

Looks awesome.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby andyj on Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:53 pm

I agree Kegsy nice looking bar doesn't look to have a mount for lights at all look where the UHF ariel is mounted..
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby RockoWallaby on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:20 pm

Jesus, has anyone else seen the MCC bar on their site with all the pretty LED's around the foglight shrouds?
Awww, so pretty.
They'd make you feel like a man, for sure!
And having one of those bars, you'd prolly get one ;)
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby ultimate on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:32 am

:lol: Yeah everybody has different taste.

That bar is actually very good. It's for the new Y62 Patrol. A vehicle which everybody said you can't make a bull bar because of the solid once piece bumper. MCC's design staff spend about a year in Dubai engineering it and the final result is pretty good in my opinion ;)
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby RockoWallaby on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Well, I've heard of a roobar, and a bullbar, but I never really considered there to be much of a need for a gaybar :lol:
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby mjwilmo on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:48 pm

evening gents.. looking at getting a bullbar (TJM or ARB) and snorkle fitted shortly. Wondering if I should get the bullbar with the fog lights integrated or just go with spotties..

QUESTION: If I go for a bar without fog lights and go spotties, can you wire the spotties into where the OEM fog lights were (so you can use existing switch to turn on, use existing power source etc)? Anyone done this?

Cheers,
M
mjwilmo

Postby Racer on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:16 pm

G'day mate, I have the Ironman Commercial bar on mine. I have done away with the fog lamps, you don't miss them, I run Roo lites. I sold em for about a couple of hundred on ebay...and if I had my time again I would go the ARB Bullbar. We have them fitted on all our work trucks (Pajero has the Smart Bar). Where I work from, I am often on the beach and the Ranger has seen salt water on several times..The ARB bar's are good quality and have consistently performed.

The Ironman on mine is starting to show signs of surface rust 8mths old and has never even been sprayed with salt.....or knocked about...the weld spatter is the first place to rust at this stage. A shame you known, I recommended the Ironman to a lot...in saying this however Ironman are not away as yet and I have heard their customer service is pretty good. Maybe it was a manufacture fault?
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:33 pm

mjwilmo wrote:evening gents.. looking at getting a bullbar (TJM or ARB) and snorkle fitted shortly. Wondering if I should get the bullbar with the fog lights integrated or just go with spotties..

QUESTION: If I go for a bar without fog lights and go spotties, can you wire the spotties into where the OEM fog lights were (so you can use existing switch to turn on, use existing power source etc)? Anyone done this?

Cheers,
M

Rather than bore you with a diatribe about rust and irrelevancies on Ironman bars, maybe I'll just try to answer your questions:

Foglights or just driving lights? We live in Canberra and there's plenty of fog around here, as you would know, sometimes until early afternoon in the winter. You will use the foglights, I'm sure, so recommend you go for these.

If you decide to go without foglights and just have driving lights can you wire the driving lights into the foglight circuit? Certainly, but be aware that the factory loom is designed for not more than 55watt globes. It may not cope with high wattage globes.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mjwilmo on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:48 pm

thanks 5th, wasnt sure about the wattage limits.. i'll be sure to stay away from Ironman bar (was leaning towards ARB or TJM anyway), and will prolly go for the bar with the foggies integrated.. can always add the spotties later. tks mate.
mjwilmo

Postby Racer on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:50 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Rather than bore you with a diatribe about rust and irrelevancies on Ironman bars, maybe I'll just try to answer your questions

While you attempt to sound like an educated boffin, maybe I was trying to encourage the purchase of an ARB bar. Good one dickhead.
09 ML GLX-R 3.2
Racer

Postby Blue on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:19 pm

mjwilmo wrote:thanks 5th, wasnt sure about the wattage limits.. i'll be sure to stay away from Ironman bar (was leaning towards ARB or TJM anyway), and will prolly go for the bar with the foggies integrated.. can always add the spotties later. tks mate.

Grab the one with the fogs integrated AND add spotties... I have tweaked my fogs to point further sideways and they help illuminate the side of the road greatly - helps you keep an eye on those giant grasshoppers...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods