Bullbars

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Bullbars

Postby deermaster on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:31 am

NowForThe5th wrote:I can't believe I found a picture that shows those holes....but I did. In about 60 seconds. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Look at the brackets in this pic. You can see the slotted holes, which are mirrored in the brackets on the bar. That's obviously so that the bar can be moved around to align with the body. Now look more closely and you'll see two smaller holes, with shiny surfaces where they were drilled. Those holes are 8mm and take an M8 high tensile bolt. (M8 is a metric sized bolt that is 8mm in diameter, not necessarily your friend, although, in this case it could be :P :P )

The holes are drilled after the bar is positioned and once the bolts are inserted and tightened up, prevent it from moving in the slots. They also make re-alignment when re-fitting the bar, a breeze.

They don't have to be in any particular spot, location is largely dictated by where you can position a drill. Obviously, though, not too close to any other holes, slots or to an edge.

Click to view larger picture

This pic was taken after I hit a roo and the locating bolts really did their job of stopping the bar from moving. Instead, the force was taken by the bar itself which just bent a wing a bit.

I think that the idea of using M8 bolts is that in a really big collision they would eventually shear off, but would have absorbed a lot of the impact to do so.

My TJM bar has hit numerous kangaroos in my trips to NT and Cape York and as I said before a Toyota Kluger and my bar has not bent or deformed anywhere at all. No need for any repairs at all, so I have to be more than happy with a TJM bar. I also reckon the way the side bars and steps fit makes the whole lot even stronger.
I also knock a hell of a lot of trees over when making tracks where there is none.
deermaster

Postby Terror on Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:33 pm

schilgsy wrote:Although the cheaper bars do look the same take a really good look at the mounting systems. I am yet to hit anything with my ARB bar but looking at the mounts fills me with confidence it will be multiple times stronger than the Ironman.

Thanks for the tips, I have ruled out Ironman bars for a couple of reasons already.

diver albie wrote:not sure where you are but TJM here in WA quoted me @$1700 fitted and that my friend bets ARB and co by an easy $500+ :lol:

I'm in Sydney and I thought the price was a bit steep, am I supposed to try and haggle with them? I nearly fell over when he said the $1900 just to supply!

NowForThe5th wrote:I don't know why but people always seem to forget the Opposite Lock option. As well made as the ARB and significantly cheaper and, apart from the fog lights they look almost the same.

Oh great more options just what I needed :P I had a look at the OL stuff and they do look good but came in at only $90 cheaper than what ARB quoted me.

JeepChallenger wrote:The crumple zones on the ARB are much better but they didn't want to fit it to a Challenger.

Only have it for a month and no 4wding yet so can't say much about how it goes. But I am happy with the quality for the money I paid.

Thanks for the input on the MCC, I've heard nothing but good things from people that have them, and only comments like "You get what you pay for so only buy ARB" from people who've never even seen an MCC bar :x
Terror

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Terror wrote: I had a look at the OL stuff and they do look good but came in at only $90 cheaper than what ARB quoted me.

Wow! :shock:

When I bought the bar for the Paj it was nearly $1K cheaper than ARB. I got them to quote on a different one a couple of weeks ago and it was $1659.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby schilgsy on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:02 pm

I have never been pro ARB but when I saw the summit range I just wanted one and I've never heard anyone say their ARB barwork is not up to scratch nor TJM for that matter.
I do have a mate that had to send back mcc side rails and steps for.an 80 series because they wouldn't fit and the rear bar wheel carrier is ordinary too. That's why I scratched them off my list.

But, opinions are like arseholes.
schilgsy

Postby coughy on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:06 pm

thanks chris you and garth have answered my questions
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby noob4x4 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:00 am

Not sure if anyone has put one on but I just fitted a rhino bar to my ml, it's the only bar I found I liked the look of unfortunately I don't know how to post photos from my phone on to here
noob4x4

Postby Joel on Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:11 am

I have seen 1 or 2 around and they do look sweet. Most people cant justify the price of them.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby diver albie on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:12 pm

noob4x4 wrote:Not sure if anyone has put one on but I just fitted a rhino bar to my ml, it's the only bar I found I liked the look of unfortunately I don't know how to post photos from my phone on to here

If you don't mind me asking where did you get it and was fitted cost

Dave
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Postby L200Shogun on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:58 pm

diver albie wrote:
noob4x4 wrote:Not sure if anyone has put one on but I just fitted a rhino bar to my ml, it's the only bar I found I liked the look of unfortunately I don't know how to post photos from my phone on to here

If you don't mind me asking where did you get it and was fitted cost

Dave

Ultimate 4x4 Equipment is the WA agent.

$2600 with under body plates.
From a Perth Triton page Noob4x4?

L200Shogun

Postby revolutiontriton on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:42 am

Looks pretty sweet!!
revolutiontriton

Postby deermaster on Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:49 am

I don't think that would have saved much on all the kangaroo strikes I have had, would have dented gaurds and broke headlights without the extra bars covering them. It looks good for what its intended,and would take a heavy knock for sure. :D Around the town I reckon that's all you need, but for me out in the bush all the time knocking trees down and hitting wayward animals very often, I need the extra protection and side bars as well.
deermaster

Postby diver albie on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:08 am

Agree there's not a lot of protection there, however if looking fo something you could mount a winch in may be ideal. Quite expensive for though
“Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.” –Edward Abbey
diver albie

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:28 am

deermaster wrote:I don't think that would have saved much on all the kangaroo strikes I have had, would have dented gaurds and broke headlights without the extra bars covering them. It looks good for what its intended,and would take a heavy knock for sure. :D Around the town I reckon that's all you need, but for me out in the bush all the time knocking trees down and hitting wayward animals very often, I need the extra protection and side bars as well.

Agree, I'm in the same boat - although I don't knock down many trees. :lol: Pretty useless against animal strike, but, for the 'burbs and for those who want a winch mount, it's a nice looking bar and would give decent protection against small knocks.

Interesting. Isn't that loop forward sloping like the one that used to be on the Xrox and had to be changed since it didn't meet the ADRs?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Duck on Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:09 pm

Looks different, Colour coded it would look more factory.
Always good to see what people put on their cars, if we all did things exactly we'd be stuffed finding our cars are in a carpark :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby deermaster on Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:22 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
deermaster wrote:I don't think that would have saved much on all the kangaroo strikes I have had, would have dented gaurds and broke headlights without the extra bars covering them. It looks good for what its intended,and would take a heavy knock for sure. :D Around the town I reckon that's all you need, but for me out in the bush all the time knocking trees down and hitting wayward animals very often, I need the extra protection and side bars as well.

Agree, I'm in the same boat - although I don't knock down many trees. :lol: Pretty useless against animal strike, but, for the 'burbs and for those who want a winch mount, it's a nice looking bar and would give decent protection against small knocks.

Interesting. Isn't that loop forward sloping like the one that used to be on the Xrox and had to be changed since it didn't meet the ADRs?

Ha ha, places I go at times there is no roads and we have to make our own, sometimes trees and stumps have to be moved and the bar moves them nicely, except for the one that stopped me and dented my new 4mm Stainless underbody protective plate. Good to have it there though. That little bar looks neat and like some say it would be good for mounting a winch and for sure it would be good for touch parking in tight spots :lol:
deermaster

Postby Clarkalot on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:21 pm

Just need some reassurance guys. Just got a TJM fleet bar installed and the fitting looks great. Perfectly straight, pinch weld is nice and neat all round. Couldn't be happier. But... The inner plastic guards have been removed at the front and it just seems like there is so much exposed stuff under there now. Not to mention a big hole where the washer bottle used to be directly above the wheel.
I've read the fitting instructions myself and the local blokes seem to have done it to the letter. Am I just being paranoid?
Left hand side. You can see here the hole right into the engine bay. Lots of nice wiring too.

Right hand side. Not as bad but there is still some wiring to the new indicators further forward that I'm worried about.
Thoughts gentlemen?
Clarkalot

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:45 pm

opposite lock they cut the front half of the splashguard short and refit it to cover that area. i think arb does too? not bare like that anyway.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Clarkalot on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:27 pm

Dammit. Hopefully I can see them tomorrow to get something sorted out.
Clarkalot

Postby OffRoadDave on Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:24 am

What happened to the washer bottle, is removal of this part of the install? I assume they've replaced it with something else.
OffRoadDave

Postby Clarkalot on Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:57 am

Yeah it's replaced with a smaller one in the engine bay. Got a feeling I'm going to run it dry quite often.
Edit* Went down this morning and they were closed. One of the mechanics was there working on his own car and agreed that it would be best to fill it in. They are going to knock up something for me( my bits might already have been taken to the dump. The skip was picked up that afternoon.)
Can't blame the poor buggers as the instructions say nothing at all about cutting/refitting them and I'm pretty sure I'm the first Triton they've had come in for accessories.
Clarkalot

Postby moses on Tue May 24, 2016 7:39 pm

Anyone got the instructions to fit a TJM T13 bullbar? Deciding whether or not to pay for install
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby davo94 on Tue May 24, 2016 8:18 pm

moses wrote:Anyone got the instructions to fit a TJM T13 bullbar? Deciding whether or not to pay for install

If your getting it new the instructions will be in the box with templates. Just fitted the T13 bar to a 2013 hilux.
My17 GLS Manual. Impulse Blue
davo94

Postby moses on Tue May 24, 2016 8:19 pm

Yeh getting it new, just wanted to see what I was in for before committing to doing it myself.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jacobie on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:45 am

How easy are the Xrox bar's to fit? Got a pretty good deal lined up with OL.

Also does anyone have a Single loop Iron man bar with picks?
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby mav2528 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:08 pm

Has anyone been able to get a troy concepts bar?
mav2528

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods