Are MN sliders OK

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Are MN sliders OK

Postby har05l on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Whilst at mits today I decided to ask about the legalities in regard to fitting sliders to the MN. Mr mits said they would have no problem at all but I'd have to check with the insurance company before going ahead with this.

He said the sensor is located at the bottom of the "B" pillar and the sensors do need quite a force to be deployed.

If the insurance Co says no probs then thats my mind made up 8-)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Are MN sliders OK

Postby JamoGLXR on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:52 pm

hmmmm watching this one
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby helicoptercow on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:54 pm

... please say yes, please say yes... :lol:

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:57 pm

We should be there to film Ken's reaction when he is on the phone to the insurance company :lol: Will be either :D ..........or :cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby helicoptercow on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:01 pm

i'm sure different insurers probably have different impressions too... so everyone should check their own policy.

i know i recently enquired with aami to see if i was actually covered if something happened while 4wding just incase something happened... and i am :D

what happened with snowman and is bullbar/brush bars??

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:06 pm

We were talking about the MN sliders on a trip recently and came up with the consensus that if the airbag sensor is in the base of the B pillar it would probably be an inertia or G force style set up, meaning sliders would still activate from a side hit.

Looks like that may be the case which is big news for MN owners as they are a necessary bit of gear if you are going to go a bit hard off road IMO
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby har05l on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:25 pm

Very true homer.

The bloke I spoke to told me about a frontal accident where a tri had a nudge bar. The sensors are mounted within the chassis and in this instance the full force was dead centre of the nudge bar(I'm guessing tree). Because of the position of the hit and missing the chassis rails the airbags didn't deploy :o

So in saying that I'm sure if you got a fair wack in the "B" pillar the bags would blow.

Insurance companies wouldn't no what you were talking about anyway if you told them you had rock sliders :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JamoGLXR on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:11 pm

a few impacts i took at sugarloaf im suprised mine hasnt deployed.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby reeldreamer on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:12 pm

My missus caved the nose of my ml in and she actually hit her head on the steering wheel and the air bag didn't deploy and I only had the nudge bar fitted at the time. Must take a fair whack to set em off!
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby Kegsy on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:12 pm

My MN doesnt have side airbags so Im all good :D
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BEN115 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:14 pm

from my dealings with aami, they couldnt care less about mods, they seem to only be 'interested' in the wheel,tyre, suspension mods, and even then if they determine the cause of an accident to be caused by the aftermarket installations then they simply add 300$ to the excess.
BEN115

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:54 pm

Please say NO to the sliders...........I can't afford anymore mods :lol:

I was sure that you couldn't have them with the curtain air bags so they were off my list.

Ok....... back on the list they go ;)
See my build thread ... HERE
See my shed ............. HERE
SEJ GLX-R

Postby amanda on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:58 pm

SEJ GLX-R wrote:Please say NO to the sliders...........I can't afford anymore mods :lol:

I was sure that you couldn't have them with the curtain air bags so they were off my list.

X2 :lol:
amanda
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mooons on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:04 pm

amanda wrote:
SEJ GLX-R wrote:Please say NO to the sliders...........I can't afford anymore mods :lol:

X2 :lol:

X10
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:26 pm

helicoptercow wrote:what happened with snowman and is bullbar/brush bars??

extra bars for sill protection added.

Copy of IMG_0061.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chaser on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:28 pm

I think in a side impact situation that the sliders would still crumble enough to activate the side impact sensor...
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby RockoWallaby on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:12 pm

chaser wrote:I think in a side impact situation that the sliders would still crumble enough to activate the side impact sensor...

Doubt it ;)

Dunno what sliders you have, but I'd kill my chassis rails before damaging the sliders. Insanely solid.

Ran over a big rock hidden in the grass when we were out at Janowen hills last time. Took a huge hunk out of my nudge bar, rolled over the front wheel, had the car airborn while sliding down the rail, over back wheel, and under tray. Apart from grazes on the Slider under, no damage. if I hadn't had them, or had those worthless POS factory steps, I'd have lost the sills along the entire side.

Also, great in shopping centres when some feral tosser opens their door on your car (unless they're in large 4x4's anyway).

Best purchase I ever made.

Think about it tho. If another vehicle hits you side on (which is the situation they're designed for) they'd go straight past the side steps, and hit the vehicle. They'd just cut a groove in the offending vehicle. In a serious enough impact to set off the side bags (ie. say 20+KPH), they'd like make no difference in the sensor fuction. Take a look at crash test vids at 20+KPH. The vehicles crumple the front end in significantly. It'd just conform around the side bars, and hit anyways.

I think confusing side steps with side impact protection is pointless.
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby chaser on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:26 pm

RockoWallaby wrote:
chaser wrote:I think in a side impact situation that the sliders would still crumble enough to activate the side impact sensor...

Doubt it ;)

Dunno what sliders you have, but I'd kill my chassis rails before damaging the sliders. Insanely solid.

Ran over a big rock hidden in the grass when we were out at Janowen hills last time. Took a huge hunk out of my nudge bar, rolled over the front wheel, had the car airborn while sliding down the rail, over back wheel, and under tray. Apart from grazes on the Slider under, no damage. if I hadn't had them, or had those worthless POS factory steps, I'd have lost the sills along the entire side.

Also, great in shopping centres when some feral tosser opens their door on your car (unless they're in large 4x4's anyway).

Best purchase I ever made.

Think about it tho. If another vehicle hits you side on (which is the situation they're designed for) they'd go straight past the side steps, and hit the vehicle. They'd just cut a groove in the offending vehicle. In a serious enough impact to set off the side bags (ie. say 20+KPH), they'd like make no difference in the sensor fuction. Take a look at crash test vids at 20+KPH. The vehicles crumple the front end in significantly. It'd just conform around the side bars, and hit anyways.

I think confusing side steps with side impact protection is pointless.

like i said in a side impact situation the airbags will still go off, as in a direct t-bone accident situation...
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby 61rth on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:31 pm

I like what I am reading. My bank account doesn't though.

Like most of you, I don't understand why it would make much difference. The only difference it may make is that it won't see them off. In that case, it makes my vehicle no different to an MN without the side airbags. And considering the side airbags were a no cost add on to the GLR Activ, then I haven't spent money on them if they are useless. I might have a different opinion if I crack my scone on the B pillar in a prang, but that's not really part of my plan.
Why does everything look like a nail when you have a hammer in your hand?
61rth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:38 pm

If your insurance company says its ok to have sliders GET IT IN WRITING do not trust a verbal ok :roll:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:47 pm

There are crush cans on some airbag compatible bullbars. Why not collapsible tubes on the sliders? Hmmm, ARB don't have that one in the budget yet, maybe?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:55 pm

This is all interesting but I am not sure I get the insurance issue.

If you're modifying the vehicle so that there is a risk of airbags not deploying then the only insurance you're going to effect is your greenslip on account of the (potential) extra casualties in your truck. Won't make a difference to your comprehensive I wouldn't have thought.

All your comprehensive insurer should be concerned about is either additional mods to cover (ie extra value in the car increasing their potential payout) or mods which change your risk profile - because they hot up the vehicle for example. I don't see sliders having too much impact either way there. :?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:00 pm

How about if you were at fault and the sliders resulted in damage to the other vehicle that might not have happened with the standard steps. Wouldn't your insurance company be up for more than otherwise? It is possible to increase the risk. Best to get their ok first (easy sell - just tell them it will reduce damage to the sills) to be on the safe side.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:03 pm

From the MN manual:
The side impact sensor is installed in the lower parts of the centre pillar inner panels. The side impact sensor transmits acceleration data to the SRS-ECU. The SRS-ECU then determines if the side and/or curtain air bags should be inflated, and sends an ignition signal. The side impact sensor also diagnoses itself, and sends a diagnosis code to the SRS-ECU if a problem occurs.

and
SRS-ECU uses data of the side impact sensor and G-sensor (in SRS-ECU) to calculate collision severity, during side collision. SRS-ECU judges necessity of side-air bag and curtain air bag based on the calculated collision severity.

also re the front airbags, it says this:
The SRS-ECU incorporates an analogue G-sensor and safing G-sensor for frontal collisions.
In frontal collisions, the driver’s and passenger’s (front) air bags deploy only when both the analogue and safing G-sensors detect simultaneously a collision-induced G of a level exceeding the threshold as in the case with the conventional system.

which may explain why they don't always go off for frontal impacts - if not severe hits.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby 61rth on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Based on those quotes CD, then the sliders should have no effect on the airbags. Might set them off sooner as the impact will hit a more solid part of the car sooner, which would then transmit the G-force earlier.

would probably only be a poofteenth of a second though
Why does everything look like a nail when you have a hammer in your hand?
61rth
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to Exterior Mods