Are MN sliders OK

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Are MN sliders OK

Postby har05l on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:01 am

Snooozy wrote:If your insurance company says its ok to have sliders GET IT IN WRITING do not trust a verbal ok :roll:

What a can of worms I've opened here :D

I agree with this snoozy, Get it in writing and there will be no probs :P

Regardless whether it was frontal or side impact the hit would have to be quite significant to deploy airbags. I'm with aami and they will get a call from me monday and I'll ask the question and report back 8-) . I'm sure each insurer will have a different response but if I get an ok I'll be :D

/ As for the front airbags the GLX-R gives you the option to turn the passenger side off :? , my missus has asked me to turn it off for her so will I void my insurance if I sustain a head on :?: :?:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RockoWallaby on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:39 am

61rth wrote:Based on those quotes CD, then the sliders should have no effect on the airbags. Might set them off sooner as the impact will hit a more solid part of the car sooner, which would then transmit the G-force earlier.

would probably only be a poofteenth of a second though

Laughs! Now there's a word I haven't heard in a long time ;)
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby ultimate on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:18 am

Why not collapsible tubes on the sliders? Hmmm, ARB don't have that one in the budget yet, maybe?

ARB technically don't do a slider. They will always market there gear a side rail/step which does crumble fairly easily. The last I heard they were doing some crash testing on a hilux early this year to approve the bar work.

That's the big issue with this. Common sense says the airbag deployment won't be affected but nobody has had the money to prove it. It's the same issue concerning body lifts. Until somebody runs major crash testing on a new vehicle, there will always be reasonable doubt that the airbag sensors will be affected. I personally don't see the problem with the sliders and think they should be alright. On the other hand I don't have a spare $100,000K to do the testing. I have been trying to get more information on this and should have something through this week.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby 61rth on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:46 am

As for the front airbags the GLX-R gives you the option to turn the passenger side off , my missus has asked me to turn it off for her so will I void my insurance if I sustain a head on

It is the same in my GLR, but the missus does not have this option in the lancer. I am guessing that it is a carry over from the fact the Triton is both single cab and dual cab. It is not legal to have a front airbag operate in a seat where a child or baby is sitting, so in the case of a single cab ute, you don't have the choice of a rear seat for the child or baby, this is why the airbag can be turned off. It would be cheaper for mitsu to leave this feature in than take it out for the dual cab.

I doubt it would void the insurance, it might give the missus a bigger head ache though. Up shot is she can put her feet up on the dash without the worry of getting a knee to he head if you do have a prang as the airbag want detonate.
Why does everything look like a nail when you have a hammer in your hand?
61rth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby josh_cod on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:39 pm

har05l wrote:Regardless whether it was frontal or side impact the hit would have to be quite significant to deploy airbags. I'm with aami and they will get a call from me monday and I'll ask the question and report back 8-) . I'm sure each insurer will have a different response but if I get an ok I'll be :D

Hey har05l,
Did you end up getting onto AAMI about the sliders?
I'm looking at getting on the slider group buy with helicoptercow and then found this thread. Its a pity that getting the Diff Lock also gave me the curtain airbags (GL-R), or I wouldn't have this problem.
Cheers,
Josh
josh_cod

Postby helicoptercow on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:46 pm

they are just an aftermarket step on my insurance.... they look like a step, perform like a step.... not my fault if they are HD steps ;)

i like allianz, tick a box and say how much you think your 'steps' are worth :lol:

i also have an ML so no fancy airbags for me :roll:

"it's so much easier to apologise rather than ask for permission" - gutters

The Cattle Truck

"Wool-Wheat" = Cotton. Warm like wool, but grows like wheat

helicoptercow
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:56 pm

josh_cod wrote:Hey har05l,
Did you end up getting onto AAMI about the sliders?
I'm looking at getting on the slider group buy with helicoptercow and then found this thread. Its a pity that getting the Diff Lock also gave me the curtain airbags (GL-R), or I wouldn't have this problem.

No I haven't called yet :roll: , on my things to do list.

As cow said though I'd declare them as a step only 8-)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:32 pm

I called AAMI today and asked the question that if I installed "heavy duty side steps" to replace the standard steps would that be ok. The response was it would be fine to do and she added it to my policy immediatly :shock: , saves doing later I guess.

So this still goes back to the hazzy grey area but as far as I'm concerned if the worst did happen at least it states that I don't have a standard step on and shouldn't cause me any claim drama's. (touching wood while typing) not that wood :roll: :lol:

If your insurance company has no issues putting H/D steps on I say go for it 8-)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Are MN sliders OK

Postby Diddy on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:43 pm

har05l wrote:I called AAMI today and asked the question that if I installed "heavy duty side steps" to replace the standard steps would that be ok. The response was it would be fine to do and she added it to my policy immediatly :shock: , saves doing later I guess.

So this still goes back to the hazzy grey area but as far as I'm concerned if the worst did happen at least it states that I don't have a standard step on and shouldn't cause me any claim drama's. (touching wood while typing) not that wood :roll: :lol:

If your insurance company has no issues putting H/D steps on I say go for it 8-)

Aami are really good to deal with
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby snowman on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:47 pm

ok i don't have an MN but i am curious on this issue. :roll:

all the sliders do (from a side impact point of view) is project some additional strength from the chassis to beyond the side panels. obviously the questionable issue with them is regarding side air bag deployment, but i was under the impression air bag sensors operate on G-force and not a depth of impact.

a slider (as long as what is hitting you is at that level) will actually transfer some of the point loads across the length of the chassis attached to the slider and in my opinion actually assist in tranferring some of this load to the car without as much 'impact depth' on the bodywork etc (ok i know modern cars have intrusion bars etc.)

so if it was my car i would have no hesitation of adding them.

am i seeing it all to clearly or have i missed something. :? :?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Diddy wrote:Aami are really good to deal with

have you dealt with them recently though Diddy?

just not sure how relevant your comment is with current AAMI service.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:59 pm

To answer both Q's snowie I think your right on the money as per slider fitment, if the bar is strong enough you'll end up with more damage to the chassis than the panel,

and diddy does know what he's talking about ;).............................................for once :lol: :lol:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:05 pm

Yep as I've said before, I can't see how they would adversely affect side air bag deployment. If they did I'd never think about putting them on.

What happened to Diddly? :o

He's got to trade that baby in today or tomorrow :|

OR...is this the real reason for the trade down to the Lux?

Hmmmmm...the plot thickens...comon....spill the beans Hobbit :) what have you been up to?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby har05l on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Tex wrote:What :o Has he had a prang :?:

Unlikely, he needs to trade it tomorrow so it probably isn't getting driven :twisted:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:17 pm

That's what I thought too :?

Hmmmm....something not adding up here :ugeek:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Joe on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:20 pm

^^That's how I read it too :roll:
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby har05l on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:27 pm

^^^This isn't a grape vine is it guys :roll: . Diddy is watching :twisted:
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jop on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Spill it diddy, i'm with aami as well and have always wondered how they would be in a decent accident?

Where you offroad/designated road or beach?
jop

Postby Kegsy on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:16 pm

No one buys a toyota by choice ;)
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:04 pm

AAMI are pretty good, they fixed my missus fourby with very little questions or hassles, very good to deal with.
Last edited by biggibbo on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biggibbo

Postby Diddy on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:26 pm

snowman wrote:
Diddy wrote:Aami are really good to deal with

have you dealt with them recently though Diddy?

just not sure how relevant your comment is with current AAMI service.

yes i have snowy. when i added all my accessories they said there is no problems and that it didnt matter what i added as long as i let them know. and peace of mind knowing that your always covered when driving off road anywhere anytime and you dont have to speak to a machine
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby ag9111 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:49 pm

List it all up and as long as you are legal, you are covered
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony81 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:58 am

Okay so sorry if I am bringing up an old thread but has anyone got a definitive answer on whether or not sliders on an MN are OK or do we simply state that they are just HD Steps ????
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Are MN sliders OK

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:01 am

The concern was that it might interfere with side curtain airbag deployment. Not every MN has those. No consensus on whether it would make a difference really. No one looked at the legalities but the obvious assumption was that interfering with airbags would be a no no.

In the end it's a bit like over-sized tyres. Possibly/technically illegal but it's a personal choice and there are guys who take that risk.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Are MN sliders OK

Postby perko on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:23 am

I believe ARB has ADR'd their side steps for the MN? I know they're not sliders but they'd have to be much stronger than the OEM kit...
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
perko

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods