Recovery points

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Re: Recovery points

Postby Painkiller on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:05 pm

15 pages is a lot to trawl through...is there an answer? Two things I would like a straight answer for:
Are those two things on the front on an ML GLX-R suitable or not for use as recovery points?
If not/better option- where can I get some? Do I have to get them made up?
Noob here, just trying to find an answer... just one.
Oops that's 3 things.
'Don't just stand there watching, ask if you can help'
So much to learn, so little time...
Painkiller

Postby Painkiller on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:35 pm

Cheers... I went from the start- bad idea...
'Don't just stand there watching, ask if you can help'
So much to learn, so little time...
Painkiller

Mn 2014 Recovery points

Postby lachy773 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi guys. anyone know what the rating on the recovery points on the mn triton are on the front? They are good enough for recovery on the beach etc..? Thanks
lachy773

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:06 pm

They are essentially the same as the ones on the Pajero which, following concerns expressed by owners, Mitsubishi tested, in sand, and released a video of the test. With proper techniques they are more than strong enough for recoveries.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby docta.phipps on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:58 pm

If you use both with an equalizer strap you should be fine. I think i read CB Dave??? saying he's yet to hear of someone snapping one of them that way.
docta.phipps

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:10 pm

I wouldn't go relying on that cowboy bloke, he's dodgy as.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I wouldn't go relying on that cowboy bloke, he's dodgy as.

Yep! pretty dodgy I heard :lol: :lol:

Back on topic, isn't one of the "recovery points" simply a tie down hook for road/ship transport?
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Yep, it's supposed to be a tiedown. But if you look at it, it's not tinfoil, there is a little substance to it. The hook on the other side I have seen cop a real beating without failure. Fridgie put his through hell before his bent - still somehow didn't snap.

An equaliser or bridle strap will spread the load across the two. No, they're not rated recovery points. No you shouldn't snatch off either of them if you can avoid it. For that matter I still rate snatching as a last resort recovery method anyway. But, they will get you out of trouble if you're sensible about it.

But see previous comment, and don't trust me.

Cowboy Dave

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:12 pm

I believe off a Triton. Click to view larger picture
L200Shogun

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:18 pm

The T piece on the end doesn't look right? But I suppose that could have gotten mangled too.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Calies99 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:22 pm

I was just browsing through eBay and saw these advertised no specs or dimensions supplied

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291774881105
Calies99
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:53 pm

yes that is what a lot of people are waiting for m8
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dyksy on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:35 pm

So I've just read the 15 pages on recovery points..... with No answers to me question being posted. Does anyone know of a place I can buy recovery points for my MN Triton that has a TJM bar fitted?
I went to TJM today and they had no answers but to try and sell me road safe points which clearly don't fit with they're bull bar!

Cheers,
Dyksy
Dyksy

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Dyksy wrote:So I've just read the 15 pages on recovery points..... with No answers to me question being posted. Does anyone know of a place I can buy recovery points for my MN Triton that has a TJM bar fitted?
I went to TJM today and they had no answers but to try and sell me road safe points which clearly don't fit with they're bull bar!

Cheers,
Dyksy

How old is the bar/ triton.

TJM were one of the first bar manufactures to offer integrated recovery points
Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
might depend on the bar?
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:56 pm

I know this has been said before, but why do you need recovery points to replace those that were installed by the factory and have been proven to work just fine? You don't need lumps of railway track as recovery points if you observe correct methods and don't try to snatch at light speed.

Use a bridle to even the load and you'll be fine. Spend the money on something that you don't have.

If you have to paint them bright yellow, so they can be seen when under muddy water, then do so.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Dyksy on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Yeah mate sadly I have a T15 bar with no recovery points, it was fitted in '15. If only i thought ahead back in the day!!
It seems from all my research that no one as yet make recovery points for MN Tritons with any bull bar fitted other than ARB :x :x
Dyksy

Postby Dyksy on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:40 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:I know this has been said before, but why do you need recovery points to replace those that were installed by the factory and have been proven to work just fine? You don't need lumps of railway track as recovery points if you observe correct methods and don't try to snatch at light speed.

Use a bridle to even the load and you'll be fine. Spend the money on something that you don't have.

If you have to paint them bright yellow, so they can be seen when under muddy water, then do so.

Yeah this looks like what I'll have to do either way! Problem is we are doing a Kimberly trip early is the season so that last thing i need is cause damage to my car in the middle of no where.... guess extra care will be needed....
Dyksy

Postby RockoWallaby on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Old thread, I know, but anyone fitted the Roadsafe rated recovery points to their MN or ML?

Wondered how easy the chassis is to drill, and whether an ARB bar complicates things?
Says OK to fit with an ARB bar, but do you need to remove or move it a bit to get into the chassis after drilling holes, to position the bolts?

For info, see them here...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252605650786 ... EBIDX%3AIT

I mean, they're not expensive, and I wouldn't mind the peace of mind of decent recovery points myself...
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby RockoWallaby on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Dyksy wrote:So I've just read the 15 pages on recovery points..... with No answers to me question being posted. Does anyone know of a place I can buy recovery points for my MN Triton that has a TJM bar fitted?

Cheers,
Dyksy

Were waiting for them to be released last year. Seems they're now available...
Arthur Dent: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe gets that.
RockoWallaby

Postby variflex on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:16 pm

A mate had them fitted to his ML last week, running the ARB bar, I will ask a few questions and get back to you,
I have my Triton going in at the end of the month to have the recovery points fitted, i am running the XROX bar though
variflex

Postby BurLor on Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:52 pm

RockoWallaby wrote:Old thread, I know, but anyone fitted the Roadsafe rated recovery points to their MN or ML?

Wondered how easy the chassis is to drill, and whether an ARB bar complicates things?
Says OK to fit with an ARB bar, but do you need to remove or move it a bit to get into the chassis after drilling holes, to position the bolts?

For info, see them here...

I mean, they're not expensive, and I wouldn't mind the peace of mind of decent recovery points myself...

Hi all,

I fitted the Roadsafe Recovery points to my 2015 MN just before heading to Fraser in January. They worked a treat!

No issues drilling into the chassis, just used a centre punch to get started and worked my way up with a smaller drill bit first, until I got to the right size hole (grab a decent drill bit to make life easier).

The only fiddly part was inserting the nuts into the chassis but if I can do it, anyone can (as per pics in thread).

Great product and no issues at all with an ARB bar.
BurLor

Postby Jatz on Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:35 am

Hi RockoWallaby,
Agree with BurLor.
Drilling was no issue starting with a small drill bit and working up.
Hardest but was inserting the nuts but after a bit of patience and a lot of cursing got them in.
Just had to remove the bash plates. Bull Bar (ARB Deluxe) didnt need moving.
Last edited by Jatz on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jatz

Postby DrewXT on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:55 am

NowForThe5th wrote:I know this has been said before, but why do you need recovery points to replace those that were installed by the factory and have been proven to work just fine? You don't need lumps of railway track as recovery points if you observe correct methods and don't try to snatch at light speed.

Either that, or you can use a bridle looped around there the lower control arm attaches to the chassis as well...

Or pick a better line and don't get stuck... 25 years of four wheel driving and I've never needed a snatch recovery

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
DrewXT

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:38 pm

Yeah, I fail to see the sense in diving into a shit hole when alternatives exist, never mind the fact about dumping a $40k investment into peril. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:48 am

Might as well have just bought a 2wd then.
save yourself the extra $.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Exterior Mods