Triton v Challenger

Anything specific to the Mitsubishi Challenger goes here!

Triton v Challenger

Postby Newton1! on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:01 am

The wife was asking me the other day whether the Triton and Challenger are identical builds apart from panels (obviously :D)

That is, but is the suspension, gearbox drive train and chassis identical. Will an unmodified Triton and Challenger drive identically?

She loves the Triton but not real practical for her daily needs and thought this might be an option?
"I get knocked down but I get up again" Usually!
Newton1!

Re: Triton v Challenger

Postby killa on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:09 am

Yes, except the Challenger has rear coil springs, not leaf springs, so the ride is a little more comfortable.
Engine is the same.
Gearbox is the same.
Interior is the same up to the rear seats. Second row seats are similar to the fronts, they have rails to slide forwards and also tilt back, good to get the kids to sleep on longer runs.
Tyres are slightly bigger (265/70 R16 on the base model Challenger vs 245/70 R16 on the Triton)
Fuel tank is smaller 70L vs 75L on the Triton
Cheers,

Cal
killa

Triton v Challenger

Postby tukadafoonday on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:21 am

Pretty sure that the tires and rims on the challenger would not need to be load rated either as it's not a utility.
tukadafoonday

Postby fraz91 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:22 am

The Challenger has the same drivetrain as the GLX-R Triton and comes standard with the rear diff-lock. You can only get the manual in the base model Challenger, otherwise they're all the 5 speed Sports Auto. The Challenger is also a little more luxurious inside, although you'd come to expect that from it being a Passenger vehicle and not a commercial vehicle.

Suspension-wise, they're different. They run the same IFS setup, but where the Triton has leaf springs in the rear, the Challenger has a 3 link coil-sprung axle with a sway bar. While they are similar to drive, the Challenger will tend to roll more through the corners until you upgrade either the shocks, coils or sway-bars (note: you can't upgrade the coils without doing shocks as well, the original equipment won't be up to the task of controlling the higher spring rates from a raised height coil).

Best thing would be to test-drive both vehicles and to make up your own minds about them, as they are both very capable vehicles. Hope this has helped.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby fraz91 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:25 am

tukadafoonday wrote:Pretty sure that the tires and rims on the challenger would not need to be load rated either as it's not a utility.

They also come out at 265/65R17 instead of 245/65R17. This means that you can fit a 32" tyre legally, and a 33" tyre isn't as frowned upon

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby killa on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:33 am

Base model doesn't have the rear diff lock anymore.
Cheers,

Cal
killa

Postby Tony81 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:40 am

If you look on the Mitusbishi website you can download the actual brochure on each vehicle, they have all the different specs and everything ..... Lots of reading though :| :|
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:11 am

2.5 engine output might be more in the challenger
like the 3.2 in the paj was higher :!:
mad992

Postby Newton1! on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks everyone for the info
"I get knocked down but I get up again" Usually!
Newton1!

Return to Challenger Club