Paddy the 2013 Bitsaremissing Challenger

Anything specific to the Mitsubishi Challenger goes here!

Re: Paddy the 2013 Bitsaremissing Challenger

Postby Evil lurkes here on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:47 pm

And this is the aftermath - no damaage, just mud

Click to view larger picture

Evil lurkes here

Postby Turtlewa on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:58 pm

Looking good now mate :)

How do you like the tyres on and offroad
Turtlewa

Postby Evil lurkes here on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:05 am

On road they have more grip in the wet than the HT Bridgestones that came off it. They were pretty loud on the tar.

Off road they did very well, you could feel them plugging away at the clay and shale to keep forward momentum. On fast dirt they spat up heaops of rocks - it would not have been advisable to follow to close to me.

They only let me down once attempting toi come out of one set of ruts............was a hard test but they climbed everything I asked of them apart from that
Evil lurkes here

Postby Evil lurkes here on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:41 pm

Here are some pics of my weekend at Turon NP

Evil lurkes here

Postby Evil lurkes here on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:17 pm

I have just moved up to Brisbane and I have settled on the Northside.

Love it up here so far, I have had a very minor play in Glasshouse but I am looking forward to exploring some more.

Me and the fambam are off to Levuka for the long weekend. Is anyone from here going?

Paddy has had his lights re-wired. The HIDs, the lightbar (now on the roofrack) and the driving lamps in the bullbar all come on with the high beam. Turns night into day which is awesome!

Will put some pics up once I get back from Levuka
Evil lurkes here

Postby VALERIO on Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:03 am

Really nice setup mate. Love the views on your trips. Do you know if the Challenger´s snorkel is the same as the Triton´s snorkel?
VALERIO

Postby Evil lurkes here on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:42 pm

Hey dude - I do like a good view!!

I think the snorkel is the same for Triton and Challenger but I do not know 100%. It'd be best to ring your chosen snorkel supplier and hit them up for some clarification.

When do we get to see some pics of Venezuela?
Evil lurkes here

Postby Evil lurkes here on Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:38 am

Just posting up my suspension measurements after my lift and parts install as I keep misplacing them at home. Front are Lovells struts, Rear is Ironman shocks. Ironman springs all round.

Drivers front 760mm Passenger front 770mm
Drivers rears 830mm Passenger rear 840mm
(the 10mm difference from side to side if just to do with my driveway)
(Measurements are from the bottom of the 17" rim to the bottom of the flare)

It was supposed to be a 50mm lift rear and about 40mm front - I did not take before measurements. They are the heaviest springs Ironman had to cope with CT and upcoming draws in the rear and dual batteries, bullbar, winch and bashplates at front.

Initially I had Ironman struts at the front and it sat up nice and level (no bar, winch battery and bash plates at that stage) but there was an issue with my intsall which somehow bent the rods and they had to be replaced urgently with what was available - hence they are now Lovells.

I am not 100% sure that the Lovells are giving me any lift in the front at all (as you can see by the nose down attititude of the car) - apart from the nose down attitude the fact that the CVs are dead level tells me I have no lift.

I am hoping some of you may be able to provide standard and after lift measurements so I can verify my thoughts.

I am looking at putting in some strut spacers or maybe going back to Ironman struts, depending on the price, but I am not sure if they will end up being at the same height as the Lovells now that all the gear is on - but as least they come with trim packers for the spring base which I can set the height with.

Has anyone used strut spacers in their 2013 Challenger? If so how do you rate them and what impact, if any, have they had to the performance of the strut?

And can anyone verify that the front suspension in my 2013 Challenger is the same as a 2013 Triton in terms of the strut tops only? I am trying to find out if Triton spacers are the same as Challenger ones.

Thanks in advance
Nick
Evil lurkes here

Postby Evil lurkes here on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:04 pm

I was looking at getting some strut spacers to lift up the front of Paddy. I was at the local Dobinsons up here and we looked underneath to get some measurements the guy noticed that the bushes in the lovells are flogged out. Blow and behold when I have a closer look they are indeed shagged..........................that may explain the really harsh ride.

Ayhoo that rules out strut spacers so I am in the process of getting a quote on some more ironman front struts as they come with trim packers so I can set the ride height. Then I will have to go to a mates place with a press and put them in.................. hopefully sooner than later
Evil lurkes here

Postby coughy on Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:51 pm

yes they are the same in the mn anyhow m8
strut top spacers i have been told
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Evil lurkes here on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Bought some new Ironman struts today..............hopefully they will be going in next weekend and it will make the bugger more level and give me a bit more clearnce under the front bash plate
Evil lurkes here

Postby Evil lurkes here on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:29 pm

So, the Ironman struts I just bought did not come with top bushes....................

Rang Ironman to ask them if it was a packing error. But the guy checked another pair and they had none either. He said he would speak to his tech team and get back to me. That was about midday and there has been no return call.

So we rang around 20 places on the sunshine coast and no one, not even Mitsubishi, had busihings to suit the challenger. ARB and TJM were only interested in selling stuf off their own catalogue and swoare black and blue that there bushes would not fit any other strut. Pedders had them but they came with a strut and were $300 or so each.

In summary Paddy is in pieces in my mates shed. Superpro urethane bushes have been ordered and will be picked up at Beerwah Bursons on Monday and will be installed the same day.

Lucky I already had Monday off
Evil lurkes here

Postby Evil lurkes here on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:37 pm

Below are some pics of the end result of the new Ironman struts install................I am very happy with the result as I now have a truck that sits level and rides and drives a whole lot better.

We also made up some new brackets for the light bar so it is now tucked under the roof rack and it no longer lights up the bonnet.

1st pic is a close up of the CV angle which is pretty good.

The next two are self explantory

Now the front suspension measured from bottom of 17" rim to the top of the flare (just like I did before)

Drivers front 806mm which is a gain of 46mm
Passenger front 811 mm which is a gain of 41mm

Also as a random measurement the bottom of the winch opening on the bullbar is now 85mm higher than it used to be.

You can't really see it but Ironman sell a spacer which sits under the spring cup/seat (you can just see the nickely plated thing under the spring cup/seat) - I have installed a 10mm one and looking back I don't think it was needed but it is in now.

According to my mates measurements and calcs he thinks that with the strut and the point it is on the bottom of the wishbone for each 1mm of extra height at that point you get 2.11mm of extra height at the hub. All the stuff I had read said it was 1.6:1 so that is why I put the spacer in................. and why it probably wasn't necessary.
Evil lurkes here

Postby Ent on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:20 pm

On measuring suspension height the standard is eye brow height and is measured from the top of the wheel arch to wheel centre, ie middle of the Mitsubishi wheel badges.

Factory front 542mm
Factory rear 552mm

With an allowed +20mm

Beware as some suspension shops remove the front droop bump stops to get clearance on high lifts and the CVs do not enjoy this treatment.
Ent

Postby JeepChallenger on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:16 am

Thanks for the heads up about the bumpstop....
JeepChallenger

Postby Evil lurkes here on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:45 am

Taking off half my 17" rim (216mm) gives us figures of

Drivers front 590mm which is 48mm more than factory
Passenger front 595mm which is 53mm more than factory

Taking into consderation the +/- 20mm from the VDI sheet means I really only have lifted it 28 and 33mm respectively which is not extreme by any measure.
Evil lurkes here

Postby Ent on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Your lift should mean there should be a gap between the front arm and the droop bumpstop. Apparently they can be reversed to get a bit more droop but at the risk to loading up the CVs.

I went 25mm from standard so 567 front and 577mm rear preserving the 10mm rake. Also now running 235/85R16 to sneak an extra 15mm ground clearance. Used custom made King rear springs with variable wire from 10mm to 16mm, and Drummond front with 800lb springs to get this lift. Aim was to keep drive train bits in their happy place as front diff locker puts front CVs and other driveline bits under increased strain.

Wheels are off a Triton, just have to love the young lads going for low profile tyres and selling their rims at a good price.

The longer Bilsteins rear damoeners meant all lines had to lengthen at the rear. Pays to check this if rear lifted with longer dampeners. No need with factory length rear dampeners

Works well
Ent

Postby Evil lurkes here on Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:03 pm

I have never thought about the rear brake lines..............will flex it up and give it a look see

I would love some 17" triton GLXR rims as they look sooooo much better than mine but I can't justify that expense ATM
Evil lurkes here

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:02 pm

You might someone who is prepared to swap rims. I would if my glxr rims weren't as badly worn as they are. No one else would want them. :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Evil lurkes here on Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:43 pm

[censored] Auto [censored] went into limp mode again on the weekend. This is the 3rd time it has done it to me. This time all I did was town the CT up the Maleny Road at a well below speed limit rate............. I think I will have to have some strong words with Mr Mitsubishi and force him to do a transmission service on my rig.

Once it is out of warranty I will take it to a trans place to maybe replace the cooler with a bigger one and also possibly relocate it
Evil lurkes here

Postby coughy on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:20 pm

probly not the auto m8 more like a over boost runnaway causing it
so it happened after or during a long incline???
abs asc and went into limp mode 2 gear??
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JeepChallenger on Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:09 am

coughy wrote:probly not the auto m8 more like a over boost runnaway causing it
so it happened after or during a long incline???
abs asc and went into limp mode 2 gear??

Hi Coughy....

Sorry for the thread hijack....

Same thing as you mentioned yesterday. The ABS ESC lights came on, the car had no power. I was towing a 1 tonne camper trailer and 5 people in the car. I assumed it was due to the car spinning wheels on take off due to the wet weather. I cleared the codes and attributed the power loss to bad fuel. Filled up at the next pump and it was back to normal.

This is my first diesel. Can you explain what went wrong.

Thanks
Mani
JeepChallenger

Postby coughy on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:46 pm

i will pm u to keep this thread on topic
carry on pls back on topic
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JeepChallenger on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:39 pm

Thanks m8...
JeepChallenger

Postby Evil lurkes here on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:42 pm

No lights came on the dash for any or my experiences. Also each time it was going up hill, once towing the camper (1300kg) and twice not. With the times not towing I would describe my driving style as enthuisiastic so there would've been boost and gear changes. But when towing I was pretty sedate.

MItsubishi have explained to me the 1st 2 times that is what happens and they checked the ECU and confirmed it was a sorta limp mode on the Auto.............. I asked why the AT temp light didn't come on and he gave me some guff about that only happening at higher temps.

I never thought about the engine going into limp mode..... hhhmmmmm will have to look into it
Evil lurkes here

PreviousNext

Return to Challenger Club