Moving to Darwin - how do they perform in the tropics

Anything specific to the Mitsubishi Challenger goes here!

Moving to Darwin - how do they perform in the tropics

Postby Lowlyf on Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:57 am

Hey guys,
I've recently accepted a position in Darwin and I have 8 weeks left in Brisbane then I'm off to the Territory.
I've been looking around at all types of 4x4's and for what I want and need, I am seriously considering a 2010 my11 challenger. Do you guys have much experience with travel up there or even just north Queensland with similar climate? I'm trying to gauge how this thing will perform in tropics.

Cheers
Lowlyf

Re: Moving to Darwin - how do they perform in the tropics

Postby bluetriton08 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:22 am

You needs to make sure your tank is full or if you don't run it often get some deisel algae clean as the added humidity may give you issues.

I've lived here for 6 years and drive trucks it happens over Xmas break sometimes.
bluetriton08
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lowlyf on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:51 am

bluetriton08 wrote:You needs to make sure your tank is full or if you don't run it often get some deisel algae clean as the added humidity may give you issues.

I've lived here for 6 years and drive trucks it happens over Xmas break sometimes.

Can you elaborate on that a bit more please mate? What do you mean make sure the tank is full? I will probably be driving everday but maybe short distances (looking to move to nightcliff and working in the city) so short trips except for weekends. I may give it a good squirt most weekends.
Are there many Mitsubishi's in Darwin? I am a little concerned about parts etc. I'm sure its flooded with yota's like most cities.
Lowlyf

Postby hvac guy on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:09 am

Sister took her tri up there 2 years ago no probs
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Crash486 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:16 am

Just drop some fuel doctor in each fill that takes care of water and algae
Crash486

Postby mickkk on Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:26 pm

Haha, darwin is not a little country town mate, it has everything here.... Well most things. What ever car you decide to get ya will be fine. Would recommend getting a snorkel tho, can come in handy, even if you intend to just stick to the black top haha. Other than that it's no different up here than anywhere regarding parts etc. some times you have to wait a while for larger parts like steering rack etc as they won't go in a plane. But it's pretty uncommon , and nothing to really worry about.
You may get a bit of shock when it comes to customer service when you get here tho. A lot of business seem to think they are doing you a favour just talking to you. They call the place the NT as it stands for not today, not tomorrow, not Tuesday, not Thursday. They you can get other unexpected delays such as build up, run off, spring tides, neap tides, full moon, no moon, glass off, and any other possible excuse as the "perfect fishing conditions"

How long do you plan on coming up for. There seems to be two ways people seem to go. You will hate the heat, the cost of everything, etc etc and leave ASAP. Or you come up for 6 months work, and still find your self here 20 years later.
mickkk

Postby Lowlyf on Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:58 pm

mickkk wrote:Haha, darwin is not a little country town mate, it has everything here.... Well most things. What ever car you decide to get ya will be fine. Would recommend getting a snorkel tho, can come in handy, even if you intend to just stick to the black top haha. Other than that it's no different up here than anywhere regarding parts etc. some times you have to wait a while for larger parts like steering rack etc as they won't go in a plane. But it's pretty uncommon , and nothing to really worry about.
You may get a bit of shock when it comes to customer service when you get here tho. A lot of business seem to think they are doing you a favour just talking to you. They call the place the NT as it stands for not today, not tomorrow, not Tuesday, not Thursday. They you can get other unexpected delays such as build up, run off, spring tides, neap tides, full moon, no moon, glass off, and any other possible excuse as the "perfect fishing conditions"

How long do you plan on coming up for. There seems to be two ways people seem to go. You will hate the heat, the cost of everything, etc etc and leave ASAP. Or you come up for 6 months work, and still find your self here 20 years later.

That's great to hear mate. What do most people drive up there? Sedans? Or 4wds?

Yeah I've heard life is pretty relaxed up there. I'm just hoping we can afford the move as everything seems so over priced.

Is it too hot for camping trips in the dry season? Or would you call that perfect? Haha

We plan on staying for around 2 years and we will go from there. It should be a great challenge... And a fitting vehicle for it too! Haha
Lowlyf

Postby PhatVelvet on Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:57 pm

I've been up here for 5 years, had the triton for nearly 2, you wont have any issues. There's more Hilux's up here it seems, but the other makes are starting to catch up. I moved up from Canberra, once you're used to the heat its not too bad. Dry season is perfect literally, best weather in Austraia IMO, it's just buildup and wet that get a little bit much. As Mickkk says though you'll either love it or hate it, just spend at least a full year up here with a solid dry season of camping/fishing and I reckon you'll be hooked.
PhatVelvet

Postby Lowlyf on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:34 pm

PhatVelvet wrote:I've been up here for 5 years, had the triton for nearly 2, you wont have any issues. There's more Hilux's up here it seems, but the other makes are starting to catch up. I moved up from Canberra, once you're used to the heat its not too bad. Dry season is perfect literally, best weather in Austraia IMO, it's just buildup and wet that get a little bit much. As Mickkk says though you'll either love it or hate it, just spend at least a full year up here with a solid dry season of camping/fishing and I reckon you'll be hooked.

Thanks mate. How have you found the price of living up there?
Lowlyf

Postby N.T.TRITON on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Plenty of Tritons up here . You will ether love it or hate it up here . I came up for a holiday 14 years ago still lovin it and the Triton as well .
N.T.TRITON
Platinum Subscriber

Postby v8slrtorana on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:51 pm

A 4wd in the NT is a must.
----- If you want to live the dream :D

As far as the weather. Well i walked 1.7km one way from the car park @ SandyCreek Litchfield National Park to the waterfall. Took my time and did it easy. When i got there my shirt was saturated with sweat. Yep, you would have thought i had already jumped in the water. Its hot.
Where is SandyCreek. Its on the Reynolds River 4wd only track.

Camping is best in the dry. So many places closed or access is cut off during the wet.
v8slrtorana
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mickkk on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:35 pm

Lowlyf wrote:
PhatVelvet wrote:I've been up here for 5 years, had the triton for nearly 2, you wont have any issues. There's more Hilux's up here it seems, but the other makes are starting to catch up. I moved up from Canberra, once you're used to the heat its not too bad. Dry season is perfect literally, best weather in Austraia IMO, it's just buildup and wet that get a little bit much. As Mickkk says though you'll either love it or hate it, just spend at least a full year up here with a solid dry season of camping/fishing and I reckon you'll be hooked.

Thanks mate. How have you found the price of living up there?

Rent is expensive, fuel is a little more then anywhere down south (12 c cheaper in Katherine, although they take offence if you call them southerners.

But it is all relative. Most propel are on more money up here than what they would be down south. Some are on massive money.
The main killer is rent, but make sure you are sitting down when you get your first power bill. Not that power is a lot more than other states, but you can use a bit ofit. Espleshy if you get here in the build up.

As to the dry it is perfect weather for camping.... Well for anything. Only problem wrong with the dryf you have 3 or 4 events of you wasn't to attend. I went camping 6 weekends straight last dry. Didn't unpack my truck the whole dry, is pose I should do that soon tho haha.
Build up is good if you are keen on fishing, winds die off and you can head out wide. Also the cycads bursting bright green keep you sane.
Wet is great seeing the place come to life and green up, then start filling up. Then throw in a few monsoons to flood everything. Fishing for Barra whilst standing on a tared highway is pretty special thing. Not to mention the storms displays.
Then the run off, and watching everything drain is cool. And the stories of big Barra being caught.
Post card sunsets everyday year round.
When the weekend comes and you have to decide weather to go camping, 4wding, fishing, markets, or just stay home and tend to my acreage. The last thing I think about is cost of living, what ever it is it's cheap IMO.
mickkk

Postby SPB on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:35 pm

I agree with everyone so far. Ive been here ten years and even camp through out the build up and Wet. For the car the air con filter is the best thing I have done.
SPB

Postby Lowlyf on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:58 am

SPB wrote:I agree with everyone so far. Ive been here ten years and even camp through out the build up and Wet. For the car the air con filter is the best thing I have done.

And you drive a challenger or triton mate?
Lowlyf

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:06 am

2012 glx by the look of it
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby GLX58 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:59 am

mickkk wrote:Haha, darwin is not a little country town mate, it has everything here.... Well most things. What ever car you decide to get ya will be fine. Would recommend getting a snorkel tho, can come in handy, even if you intend to just stick to the black top haha. Other than that it's no different up here than anywhere regarding parts etc. some times you have to wait a while for larger parts like steering rack etc as they won't go in a plane. But it's pretty uncommon , and nothing to really worry about.

What Mick said!

Don't live there but have visited friends, saw plenty of tritons when there (between gaps in the 79 cruisers :lol: ). A 4wd is a must. Person I know who has a Tri up there has had no issues (bar the usual NT 'customer service' issues explained lol)

Don't know if further research would be need for other makes than Mistu, Toyota, Nissan but it is prob worth mentioning I know somebody with a (new) Suzuki Vitara which is probably now one of the most expensive in Australia...after a major engine issue to which the locals just said 'nope, can't do it' or 'not touching that' it went on a trip to Sydney on the back of a truck and this along with airfares etc became quite pricey...
GLX58

Return to Challenger Club