My new Challenger....

Anything specific to the Mitsubishi Challenger goes here!

Re: My new Challenger....

Postby JeepChallenger on Thu May 05, 2016 6:18 am

auskenny wrote:Thanks mani
I've been quoted a price of $1550 fitted for the same bar from fastfit.
Thanks for the info on the cheap snorkel I might stick to a well know brand too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I paid the same..... Took them 3 hours to fit.....
JeepChallenger

Postby JeepChallenger on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:32 pm

Probably the last major addition to the car.... Got new tyres.... Kumho 265 70 16 MT 51....

Hopefully this will set it up for the trip to Uluru.....

Standard Feature for Off Road...
1.Rear Diff Lock

List of mods so far....
1. 37mm Ultimate Suspension Lift
2. MCC Bull bar with Aldi HID Driving lights
3. Dual Battery System with CTek DC DC charger
4. 42 Ltr Companion Fridge
5. Home made false floor with multiple mounting points for mounting Fridge, battery and some crates.
6. SPVi EGR Mod
7. Provent 200 Catch Can
8. Cheap EBay Snorkel
9. GME 3100 radio & Uniden 6.6db antenna
10. Aldi Roof rack on eBay Cross bars
11. 4wd Supacenter Awning and Awning tent.
12. Kumho MT 51 (265 70 17 ) Semi Mud tyres.Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
JeepChallenger

Postby Evil lurkes here on Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:35 pm

The MT51s look pretty trick. I nearly bought set recently but decided to go the KO2s

I will be keen to see how much life you get out of those as well as their performance in all situations
Evil lurkes here

Postby JeepChallenger on Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:50 pm

A friend of mine got KO2s on his Jeep.... These are much more aggressive than the KO2s.... Going camping/4wding next week at Lithgow and will post pics and reviews there....

JeepChallenger

Postby Evil lurkes here on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:26 pm

I only wish I needed such an agressive tyre..........that's why I was looking at them. But the way my Big Horns wore was ridiculous and I didn't want that tread slap uneven ware again. Hence becoming a little soft and getting ATs. Not that there is anything wrong with that!
Evil lurkes here

Postby JeepChallenger on Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:34 am

Hi guys,

Here is a review of the final build.

I went camping and 4wding with a few of mates to Lake Lyell, Lithgow. The crew included my Challenger, 2 Hiluxes similarly setup to my Challenger minus the diff lock and a JK Wrangler running 33s, disconnected swaybars and a LSD in the back. The car towed my 1tonne trailer with no problems at all. We camped at Lake Lyell, Lithgow about 120K up hill from Western Sydney. We did about 50K medium to heavy offroading over 2 days and back home. It returned 13.5L/100 combined for the 3 days which I am happy with. Although I would like to try towing it again without the roof rack and awning on my car to see how much less drag I get.

The rear diff lock was a great thing to have. The Challenger outshone both the Hiluxes and followed the Wrangler 80% of the places using slightly different lines. I managed to damage the sidesteps and slightly dented the fuel tank as the ground clearance and articulation on the Challenger are not very great. I had a little oops moment when I took the Jeep line and nearly ended up on my side due to next to no articulation.

The tyres held up very well. The Kumhos have no cuts, chips or missing lugs to report. I was running them on 16psi and they gripped the terrain very well with minimal slipping.

Now for a problem. I started looking for some rock sliders for the Challenger and couldn't find any. Can someone please point me in the right direction.
Although this car is intended for towing and light to moderate 4wding only but still I would prefer to make it reasonably strong.

I am still waiting for the photos from the guys who took them as I didn't have my camera with me. I will post them as I get them.

Cheers
Mani

JeepChallenger

Postby auskenny on Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:52 pm

Hey mani
Have a look at these new sliders from MCC I've just found on eBay
Item number is

Cheers Shane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
auskenny

Postby JeepChallenger on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:15 pm

Thanks a lot Shane...

I will ring their local dealer to check availability.....

Cheers
Mani

JeepChallenger

Postby Evil lurkes here on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:13 pm

They look interesting - not particularly strong looking I would have thought. Especially becasue it would have been easy to join the two rails at the ends. I assume this was not done due to some side airbag compatibility issue.

Would love to see a pic with them on to see how snug they are too the body
Evil lurkes here

Postby JeepChallenger on Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:27 pm

Evil lurkes here wrote:They look interesting - not particularly strong looking I would have thought. Especially becasue it would have been easy to join the two rails at the ends. I assume this was not done due to some side airbag compatibility issue.

Would love to see a pic with them on to see how snug they are too the body

Thanks for pointing it out mate....

I reckon they left the tubes unattached to give it a bit of a crush zone in case of a sideways collision to prevent premature deployment of side airbags. But if hit from below on the outer tube which is more likely scenario for me the step part has a big possibility of bending into the door sills.

Most snug fit is the XRocks one available from Opposite Lock. But they want $940 for them which I can't justify. If they quoted close to the MCC I would have bought them by now.

JeepChallenger

Postby 711Pete on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:15 am

Hey Jeepchallenger,

I have noticed the Aldi HID's are back in stock and was wondering how yours perform?

Thanks Heaps

Peter
711Pete

Postby JeepChallenger on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:53 am

711Pete wrote:Hey Jeepchallenger,

I have noticed the Aldi HID's are back in stock and was wondering how yours perform?

Thanks Heaps

Peter

They are good.... Take about 30 seconds to warm up and reach full brightness.

Was not an easy install. I couldn't get the spot beam to point where I wanted because of the notches. It was either throwing too high or too short. I had to wedge the front with a cut up credit card to make it point it where I wanted.

If I have to do it again on my limited budget I will rather go some LEDs.

JeepChallenger

Postby 711Pete on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks for that Jeepchallenger,

I am also on a leash... I mean tight budget too and if those lights are good, I will give them a try. I have been reading a bit about spot lights and if I had the money would get some halogen FYRLYT's because they are the best. The HID's are supposed to be clearer than LED's and I already have a light bar and there is not enough depth on the long straight roads out here.

Thanks again
Peter
711Pete

Postby coughy on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:00 pm

well the hids will fill that problem m8 i can see for miles with mine on(not these brand)
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 711Pete on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:24 am

Thanks Coughy.
711Pete

Postby Jacobie on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:31 am

Might be a bit late JeepChallenger, But there are a couple of people who make up sliders for around the 500 mark painted. I could give you more info if you like, if you're still interested.
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby JeepChallenger on Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:49 am

Jacobie wrote:Might be a bit late JeepChallenger, But there are a couple of people who make up sliders for around the 500 mark painted. I could give you more info if you like, if you're still interested.

Thanks a lot Jacob.... I am still looking for a decently priced set. Can you pls give me the details....

Thanks heaps again for that mate....

Mani

JeepChallenger

Postby Jacobie on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:04 am

No worries mate. Check out Wildcat Engineering on Facebook, nice bloke out at ESK in QLD who fabs them up and paints them, also ships If I remember correctly. Got mine for $500 painted, I think I saw somewhat of a sale on them at the moment mate. Check them out.

Southern cross fabs at Yatala also do them.
Ms Tube Fabs.
Dominator 4x4.

Heep's of places mate, if you do a search on facey you will be able to find a few places.
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Previous

Return to Challenger Club