My new Challenger....

Anything specific to the Mitsubishi Challenger goes here!

Re: My new Challenger....

Postby JeepChallenger on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:44 pm

Some images to accompany the post above.....

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
JeepChallenger

Postby JeepChallenger on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:23 am

Did some TLC to my Jeep.... Changed lower control arms......old ones were bent from some heavy 4wding.....Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
JeepChallenger

Postby JeepChallenger on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi guys,

Did my first oil change at 7500K today on my PC Challenger. I am not sure if I did it the correct way. I got an OEM filter from Mitsubishi and Castrol GTX Mganatec 15W40 confirming to ACEA B3/C4 as per the manual (whatever theat means). Drained the oil OK but to reach the oil filter I had to remove the air filter box and disconnect the turbo hose going to the intercooler. I managed to replace the filter and fill fresh oil. Car runs good but just wanted to know if that is the only way to change the oil filter or am I missing something.

Thanks in advance for your valuable advice.

Mani
JeepChallenger

Postby har05l on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:54 pm

The easiest way to get to the filter on the mn is through the wheel arch. Worst place possible as it drops oil everywhere unless you pack a few rags under the filter first. Try it next time
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:58 pm

yes har0 is correct do it through the wheel arch much much easier just shit spot oil every where is not ragged up

ggggrrrr stupid its a mitshy spot
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:02 pm

put a plastic bag around it saves some mes
snakesoup

Postby JeepChallenger on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:39 pm

Thanks guys.....

I didnt think of the wheel arch. I will try that one next time. Spilled some oil from the old filter getting it out.

Cheers

Mani
JeepChallenger

Postby JeepChallenger on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:42 pm

coughy wrote:yes har0 is correct do it through the wheel arch much much easier just shit spot oil every where is not ragged up

ggggrrrr stupid its a mitshy spot

Every auto maker is doing this kind of stupidity now a days.... Try chaging the transmission fluid on a 3.8ltr Auto JK Wrangler......
JeepChallenger

Postby JeepChallenger on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

Got new MCC bullbar fitted today. Good price and workmanship. Snorkel on order from eBay. Suspension after a couple of months..... She is getting ready for a trip to Uluru in September school holidays.....
JeepChallenger

Postby JeepChallenger on Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:26 am

Hi Guys,

Just installed an eBay cheapie snorkel and Ultimate suspension. Raised about an inch off the original height. Will wait for the tax return for new tyres.

After Ultimate Suspension
Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture

Before Suspension upgrade

"Evil Lurkes Here" suggested a roof rack before and I am seriously considering it now for extra diesel, spare tyre and a swag......

Mani
JeepChallenger

Postby coughy on Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:08 pm

what is your EBH pls?? after suspension lift???
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JeepChallenger on Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:22 am

Hi Coughy,

My front dipped considerably after the bullbar install. My bad I didn't note down the figures when the car was fully stock standard. But current EBH after the suspension is as below.

FL 790 FR 787
RL 784 RR 785

Looks like the rear can do with a 10mm trim packers to raise the tail a bit. But I am giving it some time to let the springs settle down a bit and then measure again. Gonna talk Brendon at 1000km suspension inspection.

Cheers
Mani
JeepChallenger

Postby coughy on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:20 am

ebh of 790??
are you measuring from the center of the wheel up the the guard??
790 is to much
what size tyres u got??

should be more like 590 mm to guard
mine is 585 all round very happy with the sus i have in it
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JeepChallenger on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:28 am

Sorry m8 I measured from bottom lip of rim to the bottom of flare :) .... Take out 203 if u want from the center.

FL 587 FR 584
RL 581 RR 582.

Tyres r still stock 265 70 R16.
Last edited by JeepChallenger on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeepChallenger

Postby JeepChallenger on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi Guys :) ,

I am after some advice from the brain trust regarding tyre sizes. I am after either MTs or Aggressive ATs. Stock Size is 265 70 R16, roughly converts to 30.6" in old speak. Next size up is 265 75 R16, Converts to 31.6". Speedo error on my car is 4%. With the bigger tyres Speedo error will be 0.

For the guys running bigger tyres with auto transmission how much difference in fuel usage and drivability have you noticed. Most of my driving is in the city with 1-2 day trip out in the bush per month, one 4 day camping trip every 3 months and one big trip (1-3 weeks) every year. On the big trips I will be towing a 1 Tonne trailer.

I was doing this with a Petrol 3.8 Auto Wrangler running 33" tyres and the fuel usage went up approx 15% with bigger tyres but I didnt feel much change in drivability.

Cheers
Mani
JeepChallenger

Postby Banjo16 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:01 pm

Will be watching with interest..
My stock are 265 65 r17 & would like to go to 265 70 r17 when the stock are done. Fuel consumption is not really an issue for me,more concerned with low range towing etc.
Banjo16

Postby shortSteve on Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:32 am

JeepChallenger wrote:Hi Guys :) ,

I am after some advice from the brain trust regarding tyre sizes. I am after either MTs or Aggressive ATs. Stock Size is 265 70 R16, roughly converts to 30.6" in old speak. Next size up is 265 75 R16, Converts to 31.6". Speedo error on my car is 4%. With the bigger tyres Speedo error will be 0.

For the guys running bigger tyres with auto transmission how much difference in fuel usage and drivability have you noticed. Most of my driving is in the city with 1-2 day trip out in the bush per month, one 4 day camping trip every 3 months and one big trip (1-3 weeks) every year. On the big trips I will be towing a 1 Tonne trailer.

I was doing this with a Petrol 3.8 Auto Wrangler running 33" tyres and the fuel usage went up approx 15% with bigger tyres but I didnt feel much change in drivability.

Cheers
Mani

Am running 265/75/16 D674 muddies on my auto pc at the moment, fuel usage went from around 10.5L/100km to a bit under 12's. That's about 50% highway and 50% urban/school runs/shops etc. But as a direct comparison, used to get sub 10's on a nice highway run to work (40km), now struggle to get low 11's. Auto behaviour hasn't changed much, a little longer before lockup in 5th in drive (more like 80km/hr) but no heat issues with box, still runs around 70-80deg c most of the time.
shortSteve

Postby JeepChallenger on Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:10 pm

shortSteve wrote:Am running 265/75/16 D674 muddies on my auto pc at the moment, fuel usage went from around 10.5L/100km to a bit under 12's. That's about 50% highway and 50% urban/school runs/shops etc. But as a direct comparison, used to get sub 10's on a nice highway run to work (40km), now struggle to get low 11's. Auto behaviour hasn't changed much, a little longer before lockup in 5th in drive (more like 80km/hr) but no heat issues with box, still runs around 70-80deg c most of the time.

Thanks Steve,

Great info. So the consumption will go up about 10-15%. I can live with that. I will probably go the size you are running.

I need some more info if someone can help. I have a calibration thingi (AEV Procal) for my Jeep where I can tell the computer if I have changed the tyre size, diff ratios, transfercase ratios etc among many other functions and the computer will change the odo, speedo and gear shift patterns. It plugged into the OBD port and reprograms the computer. Takes seconds to do the set operation and then removed from the port. It cost me only $200 and it was totally reversible in 1 minute flat with no trace left behind to maintain warranty. Is there any thing like that we can buy for the Mitsi or an expensive reflash is the only option here.

Cheers
Mani
JeepChallenger

Postby Evil lurkes here on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:13 pm

Hey Mate

I am running Maxxis Bighorns in your suggested new size. With them, the lift, all the weight I carry, the roof rack and auto I pretty much get mid to high 13LPH around town which moves to high 12 to low 13 LPH on the hwy. I am not gentle on it though and do the speed limit.

When my wife drives around town she gets mid 11LPH so if you are sensible that should be acheivable.

One big thing I noticed is that under brisk acceleration from standstill the larger tyres have created a big gap between 1st and 2nd gear. This means it does drop off boost whilst the auto swaps cogs.

EDIT - Sorry, just noticed we are runing diferent tyres. Mine ar 265/70/17. I think the ones you mentioned wre 265/75R16 and I think they are overall about the same size.

Also I think that the bighorns I have are pretty heavy compared to other tyres so that is most likely contributing to my poor fuel consumption.
Evil lurkes here

Postby JeepChallenger on Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:09 am

Evil lurkes here wrote:Hey Mate

I am running Maxxis Bighorns in your suggested new size. With them, the lift, all the weight I carry, the roof rack and auto I pretty much get mid to high 13LPH around town which moves to high 12 to low 13 LPH on the hwy. I am not gentle on it though and do the speed limit.

When my wife drives around town she gets mid 11LPH so if you are sensible that should be acheivable.

One big thing I noticed is that under brisk acceleration from standstill the larger tyres have created a big gap between 1st and 2nd gear. This means it does drop off boost whilst the auto swaps cogs.

EDIT - Sorry, just noticed we are runing diferent tyres. Mine ar 265/70/17. I think the ones you mentioned wre 265/75R16 and I think they are overall about the same size.

Also I think that the bighorns I have are pretty heavy compared to other tyres so that is most likely contributing to my poor fuel consumption.

Thanx Evil.... The tyres u r running are the same OD as I want. I will now definitely go bigger tyres.

Thanx again

Mani
JeepChallenger

Postby JeepChallenger on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:59 am

Hi guys,

Took both my cars on an easy 4wd run to The Lost City yesterday. Big thumbs up for The Ultimate Suspension. The dampers and springs worked in perfect harmony with each other. Not too stiff and not too soft. Lifted wheels in some places but that was expected being an IFS vehicle. Car felt solid and cruised over the corrugations at 60kph without any problems. Filled me up with confidence for the upcoming trip to Uluru, just need to put better tyres on.

It returned 11.5 ltr per 100 combined. Which I am happy with as I was not light on the throttle driving up to Lithgow.

Couldn't be happier with the choice of vehicle for a long range tourer in the limited budget I had.

Cheers
Mani
JeepChallenger

Postby auskenny on Wed May 04, 2016 6:37 pm

Looks good mani
How do you rate the MCC bar? I'm also looking at this bar for my PC did u fit it yourself ?
Also have u got a link to that snorkel from eBay
Cheers Shane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
auskenny

Postby 4wd26 on Wed May 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Good news
They are a jack of all trades, enjoy your trip to the centre

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby JeepChallenger on Wed May 04, 2016 6:55 pm

auskenny wrote:Looks good mani
How do you rate the MCC bar? I'm also looking at this bar for my PC did u fit it yourself ?
Also have u got a link to that snorkel from eBay
Cheers Shane

Hi Kenny,

Mate, the MCC bar is good. My primary objective behind the bull bar was to protect the intercooler and the transmission cooler which hangs very low and is not protected at all by the plastic bumper. Good quality, I have no complaints at all. Supplied and fitted by Fastfit bullbar, Leichhardt. Silvestro was very good to deal with. Will recommend him any day. U can go to his shop and he will show you all the bars he can supply.

The snorkel was a $100 cheapie from OCAM Industries on EBay. But if given another chance I will get TJM or some other known brand for snorkel. The $100 cheapies are a hit and miss event. Mine was distorted a bit, didn't match 100% with the template and took a bit of adjustment to fit. The adaptor on the air box needed a bit of grinding to fit. So wouldn't recommend a cheapie.

Cheers
Mani
JeepChallenger

Postby auskenny on Thu May 05, 2016 5:00 am

Thanks mani
I've been quoted a price of $1550 fitted for the same bar from fastfit.
Thanks for the info on the cheap snorkel I might stick to a well know brand too

auskenny

PreviousNext

Return to Challenger Club