Challenger brake upgrade - has anyone done it??????

Anything specific to the Mitsubishi Challenger goes here!

Challenger brake upgrade - has anyone done it??????

Postby Evil lurkes here on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:33 pm

I may be waaaaayyyy off base here but I was wondering what, if anything, has anyone done apart from slotted rotors, upgraded fluid and braided lines to upgrade the braking system of the Challenger or Triton?

I ask this because after fitting the 32s my brake performance on stock pads and rotors is woeful. Being still under warranty the stealership says they can only fit genuine parts which means I live with not only crappy brakes but squeeely ones as well.

So in my frustration my train of thought has moved from a minor upgrade/change to a major one.

I started to look at what, apart from the aformentioned normal upgrades, you can do to make it stop better. Not really being able to take weight out of my rig the next port of call was the calipers. Looking at Redbook I noticed that the NT and NS Poojeros (maybe others) have 4 pot calipers under a 17 x7.5 rim which is the same dimension as the Challenger rim. I have been unable to ascertain the offset of either rim yet to see if they are the same.

Thinking more about that I went on ebay and found some second hand calipers for sale and the pic from behind the disc to the bracket looks very similar to my Challenger....................I am yet to measure how far the bolt centres are apart though.

In summary I am asking if we assume they bolt straight on (and that I may need custom brake lines done to do that) are there any other changes I will need to make to the system (like booster and so on) to get it to work as intended?

In regard to ABS function I do not think it will be an issue as far as I know the ABS sensors are based on wheel rotation/road speed/revs etc so if I have better callipers that create better stopping vehicle those mystical algorithyms will not be changed, ie if the brake locks the sensor says unlock it. I am happy for someone to enlighten me on this issue.

At this point in time I am only spitballing so there is no need to discuss mod plates, engineering or insurance issues. All I want to know is what I need to do to make it work if that is what I decide to do or even if the new calipers will fit under my rims.

I was hoping that someone on the Northside of Brisbane may have a NS or NT Poojero with 17" rims and 4 spot calipers which I could visit to see if my Challenger rim bolt on over your calipers (I have assumed the Poojero hub is the same as my Challenger hub) and also to measure the bolt centres for where the caliper attaches. PM to discuss if you would like to help. I havent looked into it but if a Poojero with 18s has the same brakes one with 17s then they would also come into consideration - does anyone know if they are the same brake package?

Cheers
Nick
Evil lurkes here

Re: Challenger brake upgrade - has anyone done it??????

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:44 pm

Can't help you with the calipers and pajeros but if you're investigating stuff there was a bloke ages ago who claimed that a Camry brake booster, which was larger, was a bolt up fit. Unfortunately he didn't indicate the model involved or produce any photos but it may be something to consider.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

I have tried a multiple of rims and tyres with mates with NS pajeros

Most 17" rims will work with the Pajero calipers

no 16" rims that we tried will fit the long wheel base paj, but do fit the SWB pajero- they have different capipers again

The Pajero offset is +46, but that don't really matter in this instance as I can confirm the triton 17" rims fit the pajero.

I looked at fitting pajero brakes

Gen 2 pajero- don't fit the bolt spacing for the calipers is all different.
the hubs etc make this a no go as they run a torsion front end, so it was caliper transfer or nothing

Gen 3 and gen 4 pajero, from what I could work out, you would need to source the "whole hub"
this would be the easier way to mount up as the bolt holes for the caliper disc's etc are factory.

I was not able to source some cheaply enough to go to the next step
3 things that then needed to work

1.that was to confirm that the spline on the CV's was the same as the triton (that would be a direct fit) through the hub assembly and bearings

2. and 3 mounting brackets and points for the upper and lower control arms.
they look very similar pajero to triton- but they may not be.

so it could be a easy change over, if those 3 things work.......

then a bigger master cylinder (maybe from the pajero) as the volume to "pump the twin pistons" would be required- maybe for engineering.

I got away with using the factory master cylinder for my rear disc brake conversion- and yes it is engineered and mod plated in QLD

custom mounting brackets and anything is possible.

cue- TMR ralliart triton
http://www.tmraustralia.com.au/tmrtriton.php
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:38 pm

Yikes - TMR big brake kit $4,600 and you need 18 inch rims!
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:06 pm

Just be aware that very few wheels fit the late model Pajero fronts which need a lot of "dish" to fit over the calipers. That's the reason I'm running Prado look-a-likes on my NW.

The bearing retaining nut on the Pajero is 36mm, compared to the Triton's 32mm so that would indicate that the spline shafts are bigger. I have a spare set here so can measure if need be.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Evil lurkes here on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:43 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas
By the sound of it replacing the whole hub and CVs etc means it will be too much of a job..............

I will need to stick to the normal upgrades and maybe find some lighter tyres than the big horns
Evil lurkes here

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:21 pm

What about fitting the Challenger rear disc setup?
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:25 pm

It wasn't mentioned in this thread due to the original poster owning a challenger and already having discs

it would be a good topic and I'm surprised someone hasn't done/ tried this upgrade on a triton

I went a slightly different route with my rear disc brakes on my triton
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby lb84 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:17 am

I've emailed triton wreckers 4 weeks ago and no reply... any more info you could share on your rear disc conversion 4wd26? I have though about trying the challenger setup, hoping it is bolt up to triton axles, but am yet to locate parts economically. Also finding some info on it rather than going in blind would be awesome...
9/2012 MN GLX D/C 4x4 Manual

Butbutbut... mods!
lb84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MilkmanDan on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:23 am

lb84 wrote:I've emailed triton wreckers 4 weeks ago and no reply... any more info you could share on your rear disc conversion 4wd26? I have though about trying the challenger setup, hoping it is bolt up to triton axles, but am yet to locate parts economically. Also finding some info on it rather than going in blind would be awesome...

Couple of people have done it but haven't been able to get any info, would think its the cure for cancer the way they carry on about it. But involved though going from coil axle to leaf sprung so be prepared for a few dollars
MilkmanDan

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:40 am

If you have a mn triton with 9" rear end you should be able to change out axles and hub with a challenger
Same length and splines
Will need to make sure you swap like for like in regard to factory diff lock

If you have a factory diff lock you will need to source a challenger with factory diff lock

Handbrake cables- universal

This is not how mine was done as I have a ml with the larger diff centre so I'm not going off first hand only snipers from the net

Whichever way you go it could get expensive so best to purchase the complete diff brake to brake, they are relalitivly rare due to numbers produced

Braking performance is better with a load in the tub or a trailer, unloaded the front does most of the work and my triton is heavily weight biased to the front so no noticeable gain

Best bit is no brake drums to clean after 4x4ing
Saved me a brake replacement after a wet Simpson trip
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby lb84 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:16 am

I too have the 12 bolt rear diff in my mn. You've said previously you got away with same master cylinder. Is any of the stuff you used for conversion factory? Ie, calipers, rotors, etc?

Butbutbut... mods!
lb84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:44 am

lb84 wrote:I too have the 12 bolt rear diff in my mn. You've said previously you got away with same master cylinder. Is any of the stuff you used for conversion factory? Ie, calipers, rotors, etc?

its all factory gear

gen 2 pajero- have fun.....

some of the problems you will encounter.
handbrake cable
axle length is different (triton is wider than pajero)
the rear wheel bearings are available genuine only and are $600, you need to destroy originals getting them off
the pajero hub is a centre bore of 110mm the triton runs 67mm

cost of rebuilding pistons/ calipers some customisation work, dust guards
new brake pads and discs and then 1000 variables vehicle to vehicle
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby lb84 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:49 pm

Challenger bits sound cheaper and potentially easier at this stage :P
600 for wheel bearings?? I didn't buy an audi ffs.
Gotta love the way car companies carry over technology... but make it a bit different so you can't swap bits around easily. Ah well... a model needs to be a few years old before it's secrets and tricks are all known...

Butbutbut... mods!
lb84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:01 pm

Bargain!!

When I checked what rear bearings cost for my Rocky years ago, they quoted around $350 a piece! From memory there weren't any non genuine available.

Hate to imagine what that equates to in today's dollars.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby zook60 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:55 pm

T
zook60

Return to Challenger Club