Power Steering PC Challenger

Anything specific to the Mitsubishi Challenger goes here!

Power Steering PC Challenger

Postby Willg on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:16 pm

Hi all, had a power steering issue today, steering went heavy, lucky I was was only about 500 meters from home, upon inspection and removing bash plates I found one of the pipes going to the steering rack had come undone, I mean I could literally unscrew with my fingers.

All cleaned and reinstalled, topped up with Castrol Power Steering Fluid, going to call local dealer tomorrow to discuss.

Have owned Challenger from new in May, 20k klms.
Willg

Re: Power Steering PC Challenger

Postby coughy on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:46 pm

that is a common issue mate just need to keep and eye on it
check for tightness at services
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Evil lurkes here on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:53 pm

Another thing on the list of stuff you have to look at regularly

Glad yours wasn't a big issue in the end mate
Evil lurkes here

Postby Willg on Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:57 pm

Workshop rechecked all of the fittings on the pump and the steering rack, bled the steering and topped the fluid, Technician told me it's about 1 in 10 vehicles come in with this problem and it should looked at every service, I guess someone for to tell the apprentice lol.
Willg

Postby Tessa57 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:32 am

Yes common problem but a well kept secret at MM. It happened to me on the Bulloo Development road in the middle of nowhere and I had to drive 600km over a couple of days to buy fluid. Dealer was not interested in it at all. Most common on cars driven on corrugations. I carry a pipe spanner on all long trips now and check it enroute. Did the Simpson Desert last year but fortunately it stayed tight the whole time it appears to be most prevalent on low mileage vehicles. The PB had the same problem so why MM have not redesigned the pipe (like using a lock nut) is beyond me - laziness on their part. I wote to them and copmplained and then the dealer changed the fluid but system was bone dry with lots of use so would not have done PS anf rsck any good at all.
Tessa57

Return to Challenger Club