2.7 transfer gear PC Challenger manual

Anything specific to the Mitsubishi Challenger goes here!

2.7 transfer gear PC Challenger manual

Postby Ent on Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Bit the bullet and had Wholesale Automatics install the 2.7 transfer gear in my manual PC Challenger. After an installation stuff up it has been an excellent choice as have given the ability to idle up steep slopes and saves a lot of clutch work. Combined with front diff locker and the factory rear diff with taller and stiffer springs along with higher profile tyres the Challenger becomes very caple on tricky tracks. The 2.7 gives major slow speed performance improvement without overly compromising low range top speed.
Ent

Re: 2.7 transfer gear PC Challenger manual

Postby snakesoup on Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:08 pm

hi mate, sounds great, did they supply the gears as well as install ? what was the cost of doing it ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby aids84 on Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:08 pm

Sounds good been thinking this will be my next major mod to the Triton. What was the installation stuff up?
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ent on Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:20 pm

Cost was $2,625. Stuff up was bolts holding the transfer gear box were only finger tight as they were not torqued up. Lucky brother when checking it out noticed the loose bolts so they could tighten them without damage happening beforehand luckily.

Probably gives more off road advantage than the front diff locker especially with the manual.

Gears included in the price and came from Marks.
Ent

Postby snakesoup on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:30 pm

a bit exxy but I bet there bloody good mate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby Ent on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:49 pm

Tested it out on Climies Track in Tasmania turned the PC Challenger into a "proper" off road vehicle. Well worth the money if you are willing to tackle the "hard" tracks. Pity Mitsubishi gave so little thought to off road ratios in the first place but that sadly is rather typical of the city based marketing types that haunt the corridors. It is amazing what sensible gearing allows for. Walking pace climbs and descents with the engine able to idle at 700rpm without stalling.

The cost is rather higher as needed to ship the vehicle across by boat and a week worth of wait but never will buy another 4x4 without 45:1 or better low low.

For those with a mechanical mindset you can buy the gear from Marks for half the price but the big issues is Marks has not much idea what one you will need. Wholesale Automatics have excellent research knowledge but suffer a bit on quality control aspects.

If you like creeping along over rocky tracks then money well spent. For many Tassie tracks ideal ratios. Certainly allows scope for taller tyres which helps even more.
Ent

Return to Challenger Club