Purchasing 2010 PB Challenger TODAY!?

Anything specific to the Mitsubishi Challenger goes here!

Purchasing 2010 PB Challenger TODAY!?

Postby Lowlyf7 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:59 am

Hi Guys,

I've near on purchased a 2010 PB Challenger from a dealer in Brisbane and shown the intent to purchase etc and I've recently discovered the terminology used to describe these engines as "Grenade Engines". Now this sparked my interest and I decided to investigate further and that has essentially lead me here. Reading up on the MMA recall and the various horror stories of peoples engines blowing up and the like.

My question to you challenger and triton owners is, Should I continue on with the purchase of this vehicle?!? :?:

I do have a few other questions regarding this issue though:
1. If I ring a local dealer and give them the VIN # of this car, will they be able to see if this car has been seen to?
2. If the car was sent back for the "recall", will that issue now no longer be of importance and all is great with the car again?
3. If the car has previously been used to tow a decent sized caravan, is this a potential issue for the future of the vehicle?
4. This car has an Exhaust upgrade, HR towbar, torque convertor lock up kit and rear airbags installed...red flag or okay?

Thanks for the read guys and any information right now would be of great use as this deal is nearing completion.
Lowlyf7

Re: Purchasing 2010 PB Challenger TODAY!?

Postby aids84 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:56 am

I would probably call a dealer and ask if they can do a VIN check on your vehicle, this will let you know if there are any outstanding recalls that you can book in to have done free of charge. They can also see what repairs have been carried out under warranty over the life of the vehicle although they may not be willing to give you this info.

Being a 2010 model and assuming it's still on its original engine I would be fairly confident that you are unlikely to have any problems with the overheating issue now. If the cooling system recall hasn't been done yet then I would avoid having it done for the simple reason that lots of mechanics out there don't take the correct steps to bleed the cooling system properly. This can be the start of the problems.

Due to it being a recall the engine is covered even though the warranty has expired. They can't knock back a claim because the recall hasn't been performed yet, but they can knock it back if the service history isn't up to scratch so I would make sure the book has been stamped or you have invoices.

The overheating issue seems to be more prevalent in 2012-2014 vehicles from what I have seen working 8 years in a Mitsu dealer workshop. My 2012 MN hasn't had any problems at 130,000 kms (touch wood)

Hope this helps
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby TheSheepKed on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:27 am

I think the one thing you should ask yourself is whether you will lose sleep over a 'grenade engine'.
If you're happy to deal with the engine issue if it arises, then I would say go ahead. I enjoy driving my 2013 Triton. Yes I did worry about the engine issue for quite a while, but I figured I would shut up and just enjoy using the car. I plan to keep it for a while and if there is an engine issue, so be it. These things happen in life.

But if you're going to be constantly worried about it, I'd say go for something else. There are a lot of other 4x4 wagon options on the market at various prices.
Challengers are a nice car though. I've seen some with basic mods on them and they look great.

At the end of the day, isn't the point of buying a 4x4 to enjoy it? If you feel like you can't, then go for something else.

Best of luck with your purchase!
TheSheepKed

Postby Lowlyf7 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:34 am

TheSheepKed wrote:I think the one thing you should ask yourself is whether you will lose sleep over a 'grenade engine'.
If you're happy to deal with the engine issue if it arises, then I would say go ahead. I enjoy driving my 2013 Triton. Yes I did worry about the engine issue for quite a while, but I figured I would shut up and just enjoy using the car. I plan to keep it for a while and if there is an engine issue, so be it. These things happen in life.

But if you're going to be constantly worried about it, I'd say go for something else. There are a lot of other 4x4 wagon options on the market at various prices.
Challengers are a nice car though. I've seen some with basic mods on them and they look great.

At the end of the day, isn't the point of buying a 4x4 to enjoy it? If you feel like you can't, then go for something else.

Best of luck with your purchase!

aids84 wrote:I would probably call a dealer and ask if they can do a VIN check on your vehicle, this will let you know if there are any outstanding recalls that you can book in to have done free of charge. They can also see what repairs have been carried out under warranty over the life of the vehicle although they may not be willing to give you this info.

Being a 2010 model and assuming it's still on its original engine I would be fairly confident that you are unlikely to have any problems with the overheating issue now. If the cooling system recall hasn't been done yet then I would avoid having it done for the simple reason that lots of mechanics out there don't take the correct steps to bleed the cooling system properly. This can be the start of the problems.

Due to it being a recall the engine is covered even though the warranty has expired. They can't knock back a claim because the recall hasn't been performed yet, but they can knock it back if the service history isn't up to scratch so I would make sure the book has been stamped or you have invoices.

The overheating issue seems to be more prevalent in 2012-2014 vehicles from what I have seen working 8 years in a Mitsu dealer workshop. My 2012 MN hasn't had any problems at 130,000 kms (touch wood)

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply lads. It's a 2010 model and only has 88,000kms on it and I talked the dealer into doing the 90k km major service into the deal.

I've rung MMA and they confirmed that all recalls on the vehicle have been adhered too so that makes me feel a lot better. I got a list of them emailed to me as well from MMA themselves so its all legit.

Now we wait to collect the vehicle and enjoy!
Lowlyf7

Postby TheSheepKed on Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:20 pm

Congratulations - be sure to post up some pics of the car when you get the chance.
I am sure you will enjoy driving the Challenger.
TheSheepKed

Postby DaveXT on Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:25 pm

There was never a recall on Engines only a cooling system Campaign to try to weed out faulty engines. Mitsubishi have been replacing engines outside of warranty but I wouldn't expect tat to continue.
I sleep better now that I have sold mine.
DaveXT

Postby Lowlyf7 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:34 pm

Click to view larger picture

Here she is. The new rig
Lowlyf7

Return to Challenger Club