Munji EGR causing engine shake on shutdown

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Re: Munji EGR causing engine shake on shutdown

Postby Enid_Triton on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:36 pm

If you're experiencing noticeable differences as you describe then I'd be looking at other things. For example, does the vehicle have a tune? Changing parameters from what's factory set can make a difference if those changes rely on input from a sensor that's now been effectively disabled and is giving the ECU a load of bull.

Well I had my MN serviced by Mitsubishi two days before I went on my trip to Sydney and they said it was running great.
It is only the third service it has ever had and they tested the EGR Valve & said it was working fine too (No EGR Delete connected of course). They then let the ECU relearn its parameters & it ran sweet as.
The only reason I retried the EGR Delete again was because I have had the same comments as yours from other sources so I thought that maybe it was actually my ute at fault, but I can assure you it aint.

The MN only has 45+,000 klm on the clock (as of Today) so it hasn't been driven to death or mistreated. And 80% of those KM's have been on Tar. Mitsubishi actually told me that I really look after it and that it was a credit to me.

Anyway, like I said it goes like a train without it, but soon as I plug in the EGR delete everything goes to Sh** within about 20 K's. The power drops a little, it rattles more & the amount of smoke &n soot it makes with it connected up is crazy. And it does use a little more diesel (Highway driving).

Who knows, maybe I got a dodgy one or something, but I do know for sure that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the MN on the Engine and driveline side of things.
But as I said the difference is like chalk & cheese so I am done with the EGR Delete & I won't be connecting it up again.
EDIT: I also have an iDrive fitted & I reckon they are not worth $250-$300 bucks either. Yes it makes the accelerator react quicker, but I am a big bloke & I had the old Lead foot to the floor mastered anyway. If you ask me I reckon the Triton goes good as it is...was. But you sure can have some fun in a muddy paddock with one of them there thingamajigs, dag nab it, so no I won't be taking it off.
Enid_Triton

Postby colin b on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:03 pm

Some interesting observations here so here is my latest episode.

I fitted a Munji EGR defeat cable to my MN back in December 2019 and since then I noticed no difference in the performance but a slight decrease in fuel consumption confirmed over several tankfuls now.

On my recent caravan trip, though, the car suddenly started that old trick of belching out clouds of black smoke and seeming to run out of steam on hills. I scratched my head, lifted the bonnet and, as a "Hail Mary" effort, removed the EGR defeat, checked the terminals were all clean (they were) and plugged it back in.

Next day towing caravan she pulled like the proverbial train with no smoke.

Now, I used to run a picture framing business and used a computer guided mat cutter. The cutting hardware was connected to the computer and the "black box" controller by several cables with quite elaborate plugs - one with 16 terminals. The advice from the servicing guru was to periodically unplug them all and reconnect them to keep everything clean and running well.

It seems to me that that advice also applies to these modules??
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:50 pm

It applies to any electrical connection, but particularly one in a dirty environment, such as an engine bay.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby no_more_fg_falcon on Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:58 am

Here's an interesting development:

I've had my EGR cable fitted since new. It's been working well with the EGR system disabled for more than two years and 60000kms.

Until now.

I had my 60000km service performed last month (Mid October 2020). This included the scheduled valve adjustment. EGR delete cable was removed prior to taking it in as always. When I picked my MQ up from the dealer, I drove it away a short distance, shut it down and fitted the EGR cable again. Over the next few days, I noticed quite a lack of power in the high RPM range.

As per my scangauge, the MAP sensor was reading a max of about 220 kPa, down from around 250kPa, under full throttle. I removed the EGR cable, and straight away it was reading a maximum 255kPa on the MAP sensor, with a corresponding increase in power. I tried it on and off a few times, and this behaviour can be repeated every time.

Oddly enough though, when the cable is fitted, the engine otherwise runs perfectly fine with no other issues aside from the lack in power. No fault codes are set, and the EGR system is still correctly blanked.

Translation for those who understand PSI boost instead of manifold absolute pressure:
Boost = MAP minus Ambient(roughly 100kPa)
PSI = kPa * 0.147

With EGR cable fitted: 17.6psi Boost maximum
Without EGR cable fitted: 22.8psi Boost maximum

Could Mitsubishi have released an update which somehow detects the use of this cable, or changes the conditions under which it operates? It's almost as though it detunes itself now with the cable fitted. I'm yet to ask the dealer if they updated it as I don't want any warranty issues.
2018 MQ GLX+ / 6MT / Bridgestone AT D697 / TJM: Tradesman bullbar | Rear Step Bar | XGS suspension
no_more_fg_falcon

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:07 pm

There are no software updates for MQ for a concern with the EGR system.

The EGR valve can get stiff in operation through lack of use or carbon build up, nore noticably when defeat devices are fitted. Your device is changing a parameter for air intake temperature, lowering it artificially, to stop EGR working, as it will not operate under certain conditions. This means the EGR motor does not get to open the valve ever, and any build up of carbon or lack of use can jam the EGR.

This in itself would not cause loss of boost only when defeat device is fitted, it would cause it all the time.

If you feel the need to continue using the device, which personally i feel is unnecessary on a MQ, and wish to return it to the dealer, be honest with them. They will waste their time, and your money, looking for a fault that does not appear unless the delete device is fitted.

Why is it your money? Because warranty will not pay for diagnosis if a fault cannot be confirmed or recreated.

They probably will tell you that if the vehicle is performing as normal with cable disconnected it must be the cables fault. As would I.

And i hope you can appreciate that not many dealers will know much about the cables, as we very rarely see them. And they have no data about what they do exactly, and what parameters they change.

My best advice would be to refer you to your supplier of the cable, to see if they will check out the cables operation.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby andelect on Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:48 pm

Hi "no_more_fg_falcon"

I too bought and fitting the electronic device.
I as well, noted slight power and boost drop.
In the end removed the electronic device and fitted Catch Can just to get the boost back and keep the motor to standard ECU control. Worried about issues down the track from not keeping at standard ECU control for Australian conditions, and how it's fooling the ECU its running under Antarctic conditions.What does it do under those conditions?

There is a mulitpage thread on blanking out the EGR. Search for "Egr blanking plate in mq???"
andelect

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:28 pm

MQ doesnt suffer with same problems as ML And pajero did. So EGR defeat devices are pointless, No carbon build up on engines of 120000kms. Pajero and ML had already had one manifold clean by now.

Catch can is a great idea though, stops a lot of oil build up in intercooler and hoses.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:51 pm

A 2k ohm resistor in series with the air box thermistor works perfectly for me. No issues whatsoever.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:55 pm

Looking at my son's MR a couple of days ago, the manifolds are a totally different proposition. It would seem the issues were really related to EGR being retrofitted to older generation engines. My Vito and Put both had high mileages (kilorometreges) and never had any manifold or EGR issues.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bugsquash on Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:43 am

Does a catch can invalidate new car warranty?
Bugsquash

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:55 am

Not as long it is fitted correctly and is not causing any crankcase pressure concerns
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:45 pm

Junior recently bought a catch-can with 25mm plumbing. Over near the fuel filter is about the only practical location for the can. So the larger hose & pipe setup should minimise any restriction to the crankcase ventilation.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to General Discussion