2017 Pajero Sport Instrument Cluster in 2017 Triton

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Re: 2017 Pajero Sport Instrument Cluster in 2017 Triton

Postby Genebaby on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:08 pm

I found the switches on Ebay, probably going to cost more than the wheel, but now I see that they come in two parts for the wheel, not four like I previously thought.

Are you able to use the right hand side switches at all currently? Is it just the bottom buttons that have nowhere to go?
Genebaby

Postby Genebaby on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:36 pm

Hi, any update on this?

Can I just get the cluster for now and ignore the wheel switch until later?
Genebaby

Postby 01omd on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:33 am

when fitting the paj sportcluster,do you retain your original speedo klm reading?
01omd

Postby Rhamer on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:26 pm

01omd wrote:when fitting the paj sportcluster,do you retain your original speedo klm reading?

No, the odometer readings are in the cluster.
Rhamer

Postby bobbiebird on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:36 am

I have fitted a Pajero Sport cluster and am loving it. Has anyone found a work around to get the page button to work.
bobbiebird

Postby Rhamer on Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:49 pm

bobbiebird wrote:I have fitted a Pajero Sport cluster and am loving it. Has anyone found a work around to get the page button to work.

Not yet, but that’s mainly because it dropped down my list of jobs. I think it’s only missing a ground, but the sports does have an additional module that the triton is missing.
Rhamer

Postby Cavegod on Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:39 am

Any update on this, It also looks like you can use the series 6 cluster as all wires and plug the same
Cavegod

Postby Cavegod on Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:32 pm

Just an update, I have got the steering switch to work, you need to connect pin 3 of the instrument cluster to the switch + (pin4) and then just earth the switch - (pin9) it is an analogue ground and from what i read this is a low noise ground, I added a diode to the earth to prevent any voltage spike going back through the switches, whether this made any difference i do not know. however the the steering wheel switch is the same as the switch on the cluster but just means you can access it easier.
Cavegod

Re: Pajero Sport steering wheel controls

Postby Cavegod on Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:40 pm

Rhamer wrote:Got me a new Pajero Sport........ or did I ........

Click to view larger picture

More to come soon.

Rohan

Are you still around?
Cavegod

Postby Rhamer on Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:19 am

Cavegod wrote:

More to come soon.

Rohan

Are you still around?

Yes I am.
Rhamer

Postby Cavegod on Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:30 pm

Rhamer wrote:
Cavegod wrote:

More to come soon.

Rohan

Are you still around?

Yes I am.

Ok great,

ive got the steering switch working apart from the return button, but ive ordered the gateway ecu to see if that solves it. but whats strange is that when i first turned it in i got the mitsubishi animation and revolving car gif on the cluster, but it has never done that since, also in your pictures when does it show the door opening image? Also have you got the image that shows the 4wd mode? I'm hoping that the gateway will do something but as far as im aware it is just to let the ac and stereo talk to the other ecu's in the truck?
Cavegod

Postby Rhamer on Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:16 am

Cavegod wrote:
Ok great,

ive got the steering switch working apart from the return button, but ive ordered the gateway ecu to see if that solves it. but whats strange is that when i first turned it in i got the mitsubishi animation and revolving car gif on the cluster, but it has never done that since, also in your pictures when does it show the door opening image? Also have you got the image that shows the 4wd mode? I'm hoping that the gateway will do something but as far as im aware it is just to let the ac and stereo talk to the other ecu's in the truck?

It’s been sometime since I looked at this, and I’d have to look at the wiring diagram again, but this is what I remember off my head.

I don’t see the revolving image either. I vaguely remember seeing it once as you did, but I can’t be sure.
The door open icons just worked, but only for the front doors. I assume the main ECU is the limiting factor here.
The 4WD indications shows up as small words up the top, and not the big central style like the original cluster.
I don’t know the purpose of the gateway box, but it is what provided the ground for the additional steering wheel switches. My guess is it was something to do with enabling/disabling the switches for the surround camera display, but that is just a guess.
Rhamer

Postby Cavegod on Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:52 am

Ahh, I have the page button working on the steering wheel but not the return. as far as i can tell the switch just needs an analog ground wereas at the moment i have a common ground. The gateway ecu has this and only requires batt live ign live and earth aswell as 4 can wires connecting, 2 i can grab from steering sensor and the other 2 are connected to the head unit and ac ecu. but on the series 5 the ac ecu is connected to the same canbus as all the other ecus. once it arrives i shall wire it in and see if anything different happens you never know it might translate the ecus for the dash as according to the manual it should have writing under the warnings and not just a picture.
Cavegod

Postby Rhamer on Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:48 am

Cavegod wrote:Ahh, I have the page button working on the steering wheel but not the return. as far as i can tell the switch just needs an analog ground wereas at the moment i have a common ground. The gateway ecu has this and only requires batt live ign live and earth aswell as 4 can wires connecting, 2 i can grab from steering sensor and the other 2 are connected to the head unit and ac ecu. but on the series 5 the ac ecu is connected to the same canbus as all the other ecus. once it arrives i shall wire it in and see if anything different happens you never know it might translate the ecus for the dash as according to the manual it should have writing under the warnings and not just a picture.

Ok, I’m interested to know exactly what vehicle you have and what vehicle the new cluster is from.

Mine is a 2018 MQ exceed (with the new style radio) and the cluster was out of a Pajero Sport that from memory was also a 2018.

I could never find online a user manual for the Sport, but perhaps someone has posted it by now.

I did get the wiring diagrams for both the Triton and the Sport from that Russian website when I initially did the conversion.

I was going to get the gateway module from the same Sport the dash came from, but I couldn’t get the wrecker in QLD to understand what I wanted and exactly where it was. Given I didn’t have one as a reference and didn’t know what they actually look like, it was difficult to explain. What I really needed was an actual car that I could pull out the bits I wanted. Where did you get yours?
Rhamer

Postby Rhamer on Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:03 am

I’d also be interested to know if you press the start button (twice) without your foot on the brake or turn the key to accessories, do you get a warning about water in the fuel filter?

Mine has done that since the moment I changed the cluster, but the filter has been drained and all is ok.

I suspect the sensor is wired differently between the Triton and the Sport somehow, and perhaps the sport cluster is expecting the input to arrive in a different way.
Maybe via the Gateway ECU?
Rhamer

Postby Cavegod on Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:31 pm

yes i did get water in fuel warning but not since i cut the can wires to the head unit. mine is a 2016 series5 barbarian, the cluster is out of a series 6 barbarian, but from what i can tell itsthe same as the sport. I got the gateway ecu part number from the epc and ordered one from lithuainia. its from a pajero sport butis same part number for l200. Im curious about the start up logo as there is a pause were it should be but doesnt show and like i said it did show the first time i turned it on. the user manual ison the russian site.
Cavegod

Postby Rhamer on Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:59 pm

Cavegod wrote:yes i did get water in fuel warning but not since i cut the can wires to the head unit. mine is a 2016 series5 barbarian, the cluster is out of a series 6 barbarian, but from what i can tell itsthe same as the sport. I got the gateway ecu part number from the epc and ordered one from lithuainia. its from a pajero sport butis same part number for l200. Im curious about the start up logo as there is a pause were it should be but doesnt show and like i said it did show the first time i turned it on. the user manual ison the russian site.

Ok, sounds like your in a bit deeper than me.
I am keen to see how you go with the gateway ECU and how you connect it up.
Rhamer

Postby Jeff on Mon May 17, 2021 10:31 pm

Hi, so now that a few of you have done this swap, are you having any functionality issues just using the button on the dash (or multipage button on the steering wheel if you have it). I don't think i'd worry about the steering wheel buttons but just wanted to check it is ok without them.

Is the water in fuel warning just on accessories and always clears when you start the car? i.e is this not a big deal. Are you confident that if you do actually get water in the fuel it will set off like it should?
Cavegod what did you do to get around this and has it disabled the light completely/permanently?

And just a question regarding the odometer, have you guys (other than Rhamer who didn't need to) been able to get it adjusted at a Mitsi dealer?
Jeff

Postby brekyl on Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:06 pm

im also very interested in this swap. So its just take the triton cluster out and put the sport cluster in?
brekyl

Postby brekyl on Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:26 pm

does anyone know if an MR cluster will fit in an MQ, maybe the buttons will all be the same?
brekyl

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:28 pm

MR info button is on steering wheel. On MQ it is in the cluster
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby 74chy on Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:31 am

Hi guys, I have just installed the cluster in my 2016 pov pack MQ triton. Everything works as it should except I'm getting the water in fuel warning ( clears when car is started) and also when i put it into 4x4 it doesn't show up on the dash. Any ideas?? Also, is there any way to get additional information displayed like the eco mode etc as it doesn't come up? Not even in the settings menu? Cheers guys. It looks so much better than the orange!
74chy

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:56 am

You'll probably find that a number of things are still missing, like required sensors, computer modules and physical wires in the cable looms.

Even the software in your ECU and/or ancillary modules could be different to the donor vehicle. You know the old line "garbage in garbage out" well "no garbage in...........".
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby JasonN on Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:05 pm

Hi everyone,
I just did this upgrade on the strength of this thread in my 2018 GLX+ Triton.
Looks so much nicer than the one colour lcd screen of the original cluster... I can access the settings menu by long pressing the button on the cluster if that helps anyone here. The only problem I can see with this upgrade for me has been that there is no image (or any text) to show 4wd has been activated on the screen, but everything else is mint. Nice that that gauges illuminate on start upand stay on. The front doors show up on the screen when they are open but not the rears as others have said. The swap was easier than I thought too. So thanks to the original poster for sharing.
JasonN

Postby 74chy on Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:36 pm

Good news! have managed to fix the 4x4 non display plus a bunch of additional menus and options. I may do a write up soon I just need to tackle a more pressing mechanical issue first
74chy

Previous

Return to General Discussion