egr removal because car won't run?

Anything Triton 2016+ related

egr removal because car won't run?

Postby watevadunno on Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:00 pm

I have an mq with about 210,000km on it its had an intermittent problem last 12 months (happened 3 times) where it would loose power in drive would still idle fine but could not accelerate at all. in neutral it would very slowly and roughly build revs if I put my foot to the floor in the past I would turn it on and off and/or build revs in neutral and after a couple minutes it would come good.it never through any codes.
the other day it done it again but this time it didn't come good left me stranded at a busy intersection. mechanics have been trying to figure the problem their conclusion is they think(can't garuntee) its a stuck open egr valve $1300 to replace.

does any one know if this could be right.if it is I'm thinking I might get the car home and try removing and cleaning the egr see if that works before buying a replacement?
watevadunno

Re: egr removal because car won't run?

Postby Tritony on Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:33 pm

To me it would be a very simple way to diagnose it, I would temporarily install a egr blanking plate and see if the issue goes away. If it does, they I'd say there is a good chance it is getting stuck open.
Tritony

Postby gartam on Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:35 pm

A scan tool will tell you how much EGR gasses are going through.
gartam

Postby watevadunno on Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:01 pm

Tritony wrote:To me it would be a very simple way to diagnose it, I would temporarily install a egr blanking plate and see if the issue goes away. If it does, they I'd say there is a good chance it is getting stuck open.

this is what the mechanics did and they said the problem stopped.i took the car home with the blanking plate still in(only a 5 minute drive).I have removed the egr and it looks pretty good. felt a little sticky but I don't think enough to stick it open.i have given it a good clean will put it back together and see if I get stranded again.
watevadunno

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:33 am

The motor in the valve could be cooked. If your mainly doing urban driving the valve could be quite busy opening and closing.

$1300 sounds a complete ripoff. Not like they're a new invention looking to recover development costs.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:45 am

Check out eBay. Egr assemblies for less than $700.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion