MQ single cab 4x2 GLX

Anything Triton 2016+ related

MQ single cab 4x2 GLX

Postby sierra on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:41 pm

I used to post on a reglar basis when I had my ML GLX 4x2 single cab which I still miss.
In a few weeks I move back onto a rural property and a single cab would be ideal again, so the new MQ is of interest. Has anyone on the forum got an MQ GLX single cab manual or has anyone seen a review of that particular vehicle?

It looks good having the same engine as the rest of the range and a 6 speed box at last. For a while I had my ML 2.5 modified and dynoed with similar figures to this new engine, mine had slightly more torque but who knows in reality. With the relatively light weight it was very quick, so this one should be the same unless the ECU cuts power in the lower gears and through the traction control?

I called into the local Mitsubishi dealer to be told there aren't any single cabs in WA yet but there are about 20 due with a couple going to Perth dealers, 250km away from here. The LSD is an option but the traction control works well on the road, apparently and it's only in sand for a 4x4 that you need a LSD when you turn off the traction control to keep full power in extreme conditions. Sounds reasonable? This is important because a single cab is a lot lighter with stuff all weight over those back wheels empty. With an open diff at traffic lights in the wet it's hard to get traction but a LSD does the job and keeps it straight. The modified ML could spin both back wheels in the wet in 3rd gear but I realise traction and stability control will end that fun, I just hope it's a subtle intervention rather than a power cut job.

The bad news is $25,500 is the best price on the road when I bought my ML for $21,000 on the road a year after the global financial crisis.

The engine sounds sweet in the dual cab I looked at but didn't get to drive.

If anyone has the link to a review of this model or better still, has driven or bought one, I would appreciate their thoughts and opinions.
sierra

Re: MQ single cab 4x2 GLX

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:35 pm

There are tray-less MN for under $20k driveaway
L200Shogun

Postby sierra on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:39 pm

That's interesting, thanks. I'll see how low they will go.
A new tray fitted would have to be at least $2,000.

It's the new diesel, which has a lot more power, along with the 6 speed gearbox and better economy that has me interested in the MQ. It's probably more refined too. I'm not too keen on the new chrome grill.
sierra

Postby snowman on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:43 pm

sierra wrote:That's interesting, thanks. I'll see how low they will go.
A new tray fitted would have to be at least $2,000.

It's the new diesel, which has a lot more power, along with the 6 speed gearbox and better economy that has me interested in the MQ. It's probably more refined too. I'm not too keen on the new chrome grill.

go the MQ. Spec the LSD if available. 8-)

Traction control can be turned off i think. Selwyn may be able to better advise on this from his testing.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sierra on Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:59 pm

snowman wrote:go the MQ. Spec the LSD if available. 8-)

Traction control can be turned off i think. Selwyn may be able to better advise on this from his testing.

Long time no see! :-)

The LSD is available[on paper] for the 4x2 and the traction control can be turned off in the 4x4.
I agree the LSD would be more fun in the 4x2 if the traction control can be turned off, which it would be, all the time.

Can you give me a link for Selwyn testing the MQ? Searching now.
sierra

Postby sierra on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:09 pm

snowman wrote:Selwyn may be able to better advise on this from his testing.

Thanks for the tip. I'm reading all the info right now, it sounds good.
sierra

Postby nicholaswells on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:22 pm

I bought one 2 weeks ago and i love it. Its very comfortable to drive, great on fuel and has got some balls about it.
nicholaswells

Postby sierra on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:09 pm

nicholaswells wrote:I bought one 2 weeks ago and i love it. Its very comfortable to drive, great on fuel and has got some balls about it.

Could you tell me what it cost on the road?
Have you driven the ML or MN version of the single cab diesel?
Have you driven it in the wet yet and if so did the traction control cut in and how did that feel? Did it lose power etc.
Could you let me know the rpm at 100kph in 6th?
If you have driven the ML or MN single cab, is the suspension an improvent unloaded? My ML felt undamped unloaded and I fitted a set of big offroad shocks with GLX-R wheels that helped a lot.
sierra

Postby nicholaswells on Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:53 am

Could you tell me what it cost on the road?
Have you driven the ML or MN version of the single cab diesel?
Have you driven it in the wet yet and if so did the traction control cut in and how did that feel? Did it lose power etc.
Could you let me know the rpm at 100kph in 6th?
If you have driven the ML or MN single cab, is the suspension an improvent unloaded? My ML felt undamped unloaded and I fitted a set of big offroad shocks with GLX-R wheels that helped a lot.

It was $25990 on road.
i have not driven the other versions.
i havent had the car use the traction control yet. so i dont know
it is quite comfortable even with no load in the tray. i have toolboxes and tools now so the ride is even better
and at 100kph it does about 1800rpm
nicholaswells

Postby sierra on Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:46 am

nicholaswells wrote:It was $25990 on road.
i have not driven the other versions.
i havent had the car use the traction control yet. so i dont know
it is quite comfortable even with no load in the tray. i have toolboxes and tools now so the ride is even better
and at 100kph it does about 1800rpm

Thanks for the feedback.
That solves the dilemma of whether to get the MN heavily discounted or not because I want the MQ engine, gearbox, ride and interior upgrades. The only change I would make is to have a LSD instead of traction control and the dealer said that is an option so i'll get the price and availability. Plus some research into the advantages apart from the fun factor of being able to spin both back wheels and have enhanced handling, although stability control might/will spoil that unless you can switch it off?

I would appreciate your experience in the wet, without a big load, to see how it reacts in a straight line pulling away at the lights where it's always slippery and in 2nd at about 20kph stomping on the throttle which would have both wheels spinning with a LSD.
It must have been hard to calibrate traction and stability control for a vehicle that can almost double its weight and vary that distribution too. I'm always careful with a load on the tray but it's empty most of the time for me and that's when I like to play, sometimes.

One other gripe I had with the ML was the gearbox would grumble in neutral, when warmed up with the clutch released.
Apparently it was the gear backlash picking up the resonance from the diesel at idle. A change of oil spec helped shut it up a lot but it's in the garage you really hear it, in neutral, window down foot on and off the clutch, it was louder than the engine.

Thanks again.
sierra

Return to General Discussion