MY16 MQ GLX - review by an MN owner

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Re: MY16 MQ GLX - review by an MN owner

Postby triton guy on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:56 pm

A few things, almost every auto I have driven in the last three years needs your foot on the brake,(is this a legal requirement?)

If you push start without your foot on the brake it turns on the mmc I think?

You are right it's so easy to creep up and up in speed in the auto so I use the limiter or cruise a bloody lot.

I don't look that the wheel is off center it will do my head in haha

At the RRP the exceed is a big jump up but if you haggle it can be had for about $41,000 and there is an art to the haggle I have learnt and at this price it is great buying but makes me think of its more for a work truck how much could a glx be haggled down to and upgrade tyre, suspension and still have money left
triton guy

Postby Merts on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:51 pm

destorman wrote:My first one relates to what I wrote about the MQ GLX:

destorman wrote: ... I found my right leg rubbing the the door quite a lot, and my arm hitting the door trim a lot. The steering wheel being off centre was also quite noticeable, to the point of slight annoyance ...

Sheesh, the exceed is TOTALLY different. No leg rub at all! Don't know why or what, but the door trim is not impacting my right leg at all. I'm not going to have to look at a GLX to check again. Maybe there was an upgrade since drove the MQ last year?

Oh, yeah, the steering wheel does still feel off centre.

If you reckon the steering wheel is off centre I think you need to see a chiropractor or an optometrist. I've never noticed anything of the sort, and after reading your comments I've had a straight edge lined up from the middle of the seat to the middle of the steering wheel. They are lined up perfectly.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby destorman on Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:26 am

Merts wrote:
destorman wrote:My first one relates to what I wrote about the MQ GLX:

destorman wrote: ... I found my right leg rubbing the the door quite a lot, and my arm hitting the door trim a lot. The steering wheel being off centre was also quite noticeable, to the point of slight annoyance ...

Sheesh, the exceed is TOTALLY different. No leg rub at all! Don't know why or what, but the door trim is not impacting my right leg at all. I'm not going to have to look at a GLX to check again. Maybe there was an upgrade since drove the MQ last year?

Oh, yeah, the steering wheel does still feel off centre.

If you reckon the steering wheel is off centre I think you need to see a chiropractor or an optometrist. I've never noticed anything of the sort, and after reading your comments I've had a straight edge lined up from the middle of the seat to the middle of the steering wheel. They are lined up perfectly.

Hmmm, ok, was the straight edge then parallel to the door?

I too can line up a straight edge from the middle of the diamond on the steering wheel to the centre of the seat ... BUT it is running off at an angle when compared to the drivers door, proving that the steering wheel is off centre.

Or, try sitting 'square' in the seat, with your body 90 degrees to the door, then put a ruler from the middle of your chest to the steering wheel... it will be about an inch to the right of the centre of diamond on the steering wheel.
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby Merts on Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:10 pm

destorman wrote:
Merts wrote:
destorman wrote:
Hmmm, ok, was the straight edge then parallel to the door?

I too can line up a straight edge from the middle of the diamond on the steering wheel to the centre of the seat ... BUT it is running off at an angle when compared to the drivers door, proving that the steering wheel is off centre.

Or, try sitting 'square' in the seat, with your body 90 degrees to the door, then put a ruler from the middle of your chest to the steering wheel... it will be about an inch to the right of the centre of diamond on the steering wheel.

How do you know the door lining is parallel with the axis of the vehicle?

I reckon I had more chance of lining a straight edge up with the centre of the seat than you do holding a ruler in front of your chest. How do you know you are sitting exactly in the middle of the seat, or that you are sitting exactly upright, or that the ruler is square to your chest or the seat? The answer is you have no idea.

I've since parked the car on a flat level surface (checked with spirit level), and turned the wheel half a turn so the gap between the spokes at the top of the wheel is directly below the symbol in the middle of the wheel. When I suspended a plumb bob from the middle of the wheel, it hit the seat less than 5mm from the seam in the middle of the seat. I checked that the seam is in the middle of the seat. It is.

The bottom line is, the steering wheel is very close if not precisely above the centreline of the drivers seat, which is what you sit on to drive the car. Claiming that the wheel is off centre is nonsense.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:30 pm

Can we get a laser scanned 3d rendering so we can all play along at home?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Merts on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:03 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Can we get a laser scanned 3d rendering so we can all play along at home?

I can post a photo of my plumb bob if you like Dave?

:lol: :lol:
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gregned on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Maybe someone is sitting half arsed?
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby snowman on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:14 pm

destorman wrote: I found my right leg rubbing the the door quite a lot, and my arm hitting the door trim a lot. The steering wheel being off centre was also quite noticeable, to the point of slight annoyance ...

I'd like to know more about this from MQ owners. Is the drivers door trim different between models?

Leg room is a big deal to me. even some large 4wd's don't have much.

at least they went telescopic with steering in the MQ. Still don't have that in the Ranger which is a bit crappy IMO.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:30 pm

Merts wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:Can we get a laser scanned 3d rendering so we can all play along at home?

I can post a photo of my plumb bob if you like Dave?

:lol: :lol:

That would be good.
Is it a nut(not the type your wife wears around her neck) tied to a piece of string?
What size nut?
High tensile? If it's got a gal or zinc coating it may be uneven and throw it out of balance. What sort of knot have you used? It really needs to be balance as some knots aren't even a could give a false reading.

If it's a proper plumb bob when was the last time it was calibrated? Do you have a certificate of calibration.
Has it been dropped since calibration?

There are so many variables.
CD is on the money and you should be using a laser
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Crash486 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:52 pm

I realise this is about the MQ but my MN steering wheel is at an angle so I find it quite reasonable that the same is true in the MQ.
Crash486

Postby Merts on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:54 pm

Crash486 wrote:I realise this is about the MQ but my MN steering wheel is at an angle so I find it quite reasonable that the same is true in the MQ.

Lol. Whether it's reasonable or not isn't really relevant.
The fact of the matter is it isn't at an angle. :roll:
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:59 pm

snowman wrote:
destorman wrote: I found my right leg rubbing the the door quite a lot, and my arm hitting the door trim a lot. The steering wheel being off centre was also quite noticeable, to the point of slight annoyance ...

I'd like to know more about this from MQ owners. Is the drivers door trim different between models?

at least they went telescopic with steering in the MQ. Still don't have that in the Ranger which is a bit crappy IMO.

No idea about the GLX as I've not driven one, but as far as the GLS goes, in my normal driving position my right elbow is around 2 inches from the trim on the door. I've never hit my elbow on the door.

My left leg is always very close or basically resting against the side of the centre console. It was noticeable initially but I got used to it quickly and it doesn't restrict where I want my leg to be. I have plenty of room between the door and my right leg.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jerrah on Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:50 pm

snowman wrote:I'd like to know more about this from MQ owners. Is the drivers door trim different between models?
From my sitting in various models in the dealership I thought all the MQ's were the same but with different colours and trim.

I'm 6 foot 3 and I have so much leg room I actually scoot the seat forward so I can press the clutch comfortably. If I had an auto I could probably sit further back but I'm not sure I'd have it in the rear most setting. In comparison in the MK the seat was slammed to the rear most setting and never moved in my entire ownership. I've had no issues with my knee hitting the armrest and I've never hit my elbow on the door.

I have a GLX+. I've never driven an Exceed.
jerrah

Previous

Return to General Discussion