MQ Passenger side seat and seatbelt rattle

Anything Triton 2016+ related

MQ Passenger side seat and seatbelt rattle

Postby Dropbear67 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:53 am

G'day

Got a trivial but annoying issue with my new MQ. When there is no front seat passenger onboard, the seatbelt buckle rattles like hell against the plastic door-jam. I have to manually tuck the buckle between the front seat and the door jam to stop the REALLY annoying rattle.

Firstly, anyone else have this? and if not, could it be that the seatbelt tensioner needs adjusting in order to get the buckle to sit higher, or tighter or something?
Dropbear67

Re: MQ GLS Pasenger side seatbelt rattle

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:11 pm

Same on ML/MN, and many other cars.

Solution is to train your passenger to release the seat belt so it sits where it should, or get used to doing it yourself.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Dropbear67 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:37 pm

to be honest that's not really a solution, and flies pretty much in the face of "it's just like driving a car".. no car I have ever driven has done that
Dropbear67

Postby Floda on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:32 pm

I am on my third ML / MN and they all have unless you manually place the buckle out of the way. It is a "feature" of the Triton.
Floda

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:50 pm

Perhaps if, during the 4 minutes that elapsed between the time you joined and the time that you posted your first post in this thread, you had read the instructions that come up when you start a new thread and actually done a search, you may have noticed that the subject has cropped up quite a few times.

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/search.php?keywords=seat+belt+rattle&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Let me assure you that it has nothing to do with the tension of the return spring on the seat belt and has everything to do with how the belt is released. If allowed to flick back, the tongue doesn't sit parallel to the plastic trim on the B pillar (not the door jamb) and one end touches the trim. When the car moves, it rattles.

Part of the reason is that the seat sits quite close to the trim since Mitsubishi, and many other manufacturers, try to fit bigger and more comfortable seats into the available space. Another reason is that the trim sits proud of the pillar itself in order to accommodate safety features like airbags. Whatever, the space between the seat and trim isn't big enough to allow the tongue to rotate and so it comes back to how it's released and whether the passenger takes the trouble to help guide the belt back into position.

Taken to extremes it is the same reason that police and security vehicles often have damage to the paint work on the door jambs as the occupants roll out of the seat with the belt still on and let it flick back from outside the car.

I only get to drive 3 or 4 different cars each day so perhaps with your more extensive experience you may have realised that by changing the angle of the seat back or moving the seat base you can expose more of the B pillar which will allow the belt to retract and the tongue to sit where it should. These, although also solutions as valid as those I gave you earlier, may or may not agree with the comfort of your passengers.

If the passenger is a regular (wife, kids etc.) take a moment to explain and encourage them to release the belt so that it retracts properly. That is the solution.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby har05l on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:30 pm

Buckle it up while you don't have a passenger
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Floda wrote:I am on my third ML / MN and they all have unless you manually place the buckle out of the way. It is a "feature" of the Triton.

I can't say I have ever had this problem with my Triton or Pajero.
The drivers and passenger seats are nearly always pushed as far back as possible, as my wife and I are both fairly tall. I wonder if it's purely the position of the seat that's causing the problem?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby mIwoo on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:37 pm

definitely a feature on my MN- drives me nuts also.
welcome to the forum dropbear 67

NFT5th- bad day at the office mate?
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby deermaster on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:21 pm

mIwoo wrote:definitely a feature on my MN- drives me nuts also.

Glad I looked at this thread as I have the most annoying rattle coming from passenger side and its only just started, Its been driving me batty trying to work out whats ratteling. Now I have something to look for in the morning. I will do the bugger up and see if that is the problem :D
deermaster

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:25 pm

The rears do it too. Once they're straight they almost never hit.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Dropbear67 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:13 am

"I only get to drive 3 or 4 different cars each day so perhaps with your more extensive experience you may have realised that by changing the angle of the seat back or moving the seat base you can expose more of the B pillar which will allow the belt to retract and the tongue to sit where it should"

holy crap.. the degree of passive aggressive arrogance in this reply makes me wonder why you bothered at all. Thank you kindly for the information supplied, but with an attitude like that, really, you shouldn't have bothered.
Last edited by Dropbear67 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dropbear67

Postby Dropbear67 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:16 am

al coholic wrote:
Floda wrote:I am on my third ML / MN and they all have unless you manually place the buckle out of the way. It is a "feature" of the Triton.

I can't say I have ever had this problem with my Triton or Pajero.
The drivers and passenger seats are nearly always pushed as far back as possible, as my wife and I are both fairly tall. I wonder if it's purely the position of the seat that's causing the problem?

May be.. my wife is 6 foot tall, so she has the seat back a fair way..

As Mr Angry said in his detailed and amusingly agressive reply, the issue is that the belt buckle seems to sit sideways almost, and rattles against the door jam. apparently this is not a design fault, despite every ever car I have ever driven not doing this.. *shrug*..

it's not a biggy but just wanted an idea whether it was my particular car that had the issue or if it was generic.. I will see if taking the time to release the belt properly and position it in some way makes some difference.. if not then I may have to stick some felt or something against the door jam as it really does give me the irrits.
Dropbear67

Postby Bazzer87 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:15 am

Hi Dropbear,
Welcome to the Forum.

Your initial response to NFT5th may have been read as rude, (you may not have meant it that way) when I first read it I took it that way. But everyone reads and interprets things differently. That's the joy of writing.

Let's all try get along :D

My back seatbelts in the MN rattle like crazy, but I kind of like it... it's rather soothing and doesn't bother me.
As soon as my wife gets in the car though she starts complaining big time! haha
MY12 MN Triton
2" Ultimate lift, 285/75R16 Wrangler Duratracs, 1" Body lift, Factory Rear Diff Lock, ARB Canopy, ARB Alloy Roof Racks, Xrox Bullbar, Roo Systems Roof Top Tent, Dual batteries, Draw System
Bazzer87

Postby fergy1927 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:41 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Perhaps if, during the 4 minutes that elapsed between the time you joined and the time that you posted your first post in this thread, you had read the instructions that come up when you start a new thread and actually done a search, you may have noticed that the subject has cropped up quite a few times.

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/search.php?keywords=seat+belt+rattle&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Let me assure you that it has nothing to do with the tension of the return spring on the seat belt and has everything to do with how the belt is released. If allowed to flick back, the tongue doesn't sit parallel to the plastic trim on the B pillar (not the door jamb) and one end touches the trim. When the car moves, it rattles.

Part of the reason is that the seat sits quite close to the trim since Mitsubishi, and many other manufacturers, try to fit bigger and more comfortable seats into the available space. Another reason is that the trim sits proud of the pillar itself in order to accommodate safety features like airbags. Whatever, the space between the seat and trim isn't big enough to allow the tongue to rotate and so it comes back to how it's released and whether the passenger takes the trouble to help guide the belt back into position.

Taken to extremes it is the same reason that police and security vehicles often have damage to the paint work on the door jambs as the occupants roll out of the seat with the belt still on and let it flick back from outside the car.

I only get to drive 3 or 4 different cars each day so perhaps with your more extensive experience you may have realised that by changing the angle of the seat back or moving the seat base you can expose more of the B pillar which will allow the belt to retract and the tongue to sit where it should. These, although also solutions as valid as those I gave you earlier, may or may not agree with the comfort of your passengers.

If the passenger is a regular (wife, kids etc.) take a moment to explain and encourage them to release the belt so that it retracts properly. That is the solution.

Wow. what a nasty post.
fergy1927

Postby rsv4dan on Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:20 pm

Mine rattles. Except it's actually the belt buckle sitting on the little circular knob on the belt which stops the buckle from sliding down the belt. Try reaching over and holding it. It goes away. If i jiggle it on that little plastic knob it makes the exact sound i here. I've considered maybe putting a dab of clear silicone on it to isolate it.
rsv4dan

Postby yeahbutnah on Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:46 pm

NFT5th
nice way to welcome & encourage new members...NOT
take a pill or give up.
yeahbutnah

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:04 pm

Um, you do realise that was like 4 months ago right? :roll:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:26 am

um troll??
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:39 am

No, not a troll, Pete. Unfortunately OP edited his original response so my post appears to be overly aggressive, but is, in fact, now completely out of context. I couldn't be bothered going back and tidying it all up.

Enough of that. Let's keep the discussion to rattling seat belts.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Dunga71 on Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:01 pm

I have the seat belt rattle and also had it in my MN,but whats more annoying in my new MQ is the passenger seat rattles like a bastrad
Believe all ya see and half what ya hear
Dunga71

Postby GLRkenny on Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:39 pm

Dunga71 wrote:I have the seat belt rattle and also had it in my MN,but whats more annoying in my new MQ is the passenger seat rattles like a bastrad

Yep same happens in my mn, only on certain sections of road but still bloody annoying
GLRkenny

Postby smouch1975 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:23 pm

deermaster wrote:
mIwoo wrote:definitely a feature on my MN- drives me nuts also.

Glad I looked at this thread as I have the most annoying rattle coming from passenger side and its only just started, Its been driving me batty trying to work out whats ratteling. Now I have something to look for in the morning. I will do the bugger up and see if that is the problem :D

The same thing happened to me this morning
Then I dropped her off at the train station!
Mark

Dirty woman, Clean truck :-)

View My Build Thread Here
smouch1975

Postby JKAY on Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:38 pm

Ive had that same issue , pulled the adjustment to the top and seat belt sits better , ive found it gets caught on the airbag, therefore its on a slight angle to the B pillar.

However , ive found that the passenger seat is also rattling over certain road surfaces. If I bump the seat by the bolster it has a rattle as if something is loose. Anyone else have this issue?
JKAY

Postby TIS on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:40 pm

yes, exact same rattle - over slightly bumpy roads or hitting it from the drivers side. not the seatbelt, its the seat itself and its annoying. having 15k service soon and will mention this (not putting much hope in having it rectified tho... will see)
TIS

Postby shawty950 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:09 pm

Re seat rattle...yep mq exceed with 9000ks
Asked to get it looked at when 1500 inspection..reply yep it rattles no mma wont do anything
Just fixed...pretty much...by putting the owners manuals and racq map pouch in rear passenger pocket.
Seems to have added some weight to counter balance or slow it down so it doesn't get the right harmonic to make it rattle.( except for bigger bumps...but much better)

Re seatbelts, fixed that by putting some 5mm x 50mm approx stick on foam from clark rubber on the pillars where the buckles would normally hit the plastic.
shawty950

Next

Return to General Discussion