Why pick the mq

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Why pick the mq

Postby mickkk on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:01 pm

I am interested in hearing on why you picked the mq,
I'm currently in the market for a new dual cab. I was looking at the dual cab cruiser, and keeping it for 8 or more years. But did some numbers and worked out i would be better off getting a new " mid size" dual cab, deck it out and flog it off after 4 years and go again.

My requirements are
Base model
Cab chassis, ( will be putting an alloy canopy on it.)
Auto

It will be decked out with all the gear, bar work lockers etc. But will be keeping weight in mind a lot more. I'm not particularly loyal to any brand, not too fussy on looks. It will come down to a few things
Price,
It has to be fomfortable for both my little missis who is 4'10" and 37 kgs, and me who is 6" and about 115 kgs to drive.
After market accessories availability is a factor.

So this has left me having to make a decision.
AMROK, I ruled out the amrok as I have not heard great things from people who owned then, and the mechanics all hate working on them.
HILUX, don't want the old one as its 10 years old ( new one is not out yet, and can not justify the 10 k Toyota tax they always seem to have.
NAVARA NP300, sounded interesting, 5 link coil rear end, twin turbo pulling crazy power and torque figures but a tad too new and fancy for me ( similar to amrok) not too sure how the coil rear ended will go with a load the on.
RANGER, nice looking truck, could see my self in one for sure. But can not justify the $8k price tag over the

The ones still in the running
Bt50 at 42k
Dmax at 39k
Colorado at 40 ish
Triton gq 43k ish

Will most likely be the bt50, but maybe Mitsubishi will give me a better trade in price, we will see. But I'm very interested how the new owners settled on the triton over others. Or any others opinions for that matter.
mickkk

Re: Why pick the mq

Postby Bigfoot kiwi on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:05 am

Gidday, i do a lot of towing( marine bussiness) ... And especially like the tight turning circle..am able to " u turn" a 20ft tandem at traffic islands and in normal streets..
Also i rekon the usable power delivery is better than most others.. I know on paper it reads differently, but in real world use my colleages with navara and a ranger, cant pull the same boats up the hills and stay with me.( exact same boats, we batch build and go collect them in convoy). And she doesent drop her ass at all ( no engines on boats.. So very tongue heavy). Has great staying power at about 1800-2000 rpm.
Im 6'4" 130kg. And like youself my wife is a shorty and 45kg :) head hight is great and love the tilt telescope steering.. Plenty of leg room! Smooth, quiet, would have another one in a heartbeat.

mq glx 4x4 dc . Factory diff lock, reverse camera, sport leather seats .. 6speed manual

Russ
Bigfoot kiwi

Postby Aquagen0 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:16 am

How did you get factory diff lock? Was under the impression standard on the exceed and unavailable as an option on anything else
Aquagen0

Postby bobski on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:10 pm

I'm new to 4x4s so can't give an opinion on that side of things.

My main ticks were - drives well and feels smaller than it is, is reasonably refined, cheaper, good on fuel and has a 5 year warranty. Sounds like you are driving them all anyway. Its such a competitive market that there's not acres of difference. I drove the Ranger and other than the engine, preferred the Triton - but you could argue long and hard over that one :P Good luck with the buying!
bobski

Postby al coholic on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:27 pm

Aquagen0 wrote:How did you get factory diff lock? Was under the impression standard on the exceed and unavailable as an option on anything else

Believe he's in NZ, different country, different options

I know right........
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Bigfoot kiwi on Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:39 am

Yes.. In Nz so difflock is standard on gxl.. From what i gather, theres a few differences,, gxl here is factory with diff lock, reverse camara, piano black/silver centre panel on dash, chrome interior door handles, cloth inserts on door panels,.. No carpet tho..
Bigfoot kiwi

Postby Aquagen0 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:02 am

Sounds like what I tried to order, gls with hose out interior and diff lock. Was told no chance :cry:
Aquagen0

Postby baito on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:36 am

Man i want a nz special lol
baito

Postby FreestyleCab on Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:32 pm

Diff lock standard on all Ranger 4x4 models. Big mistake by MMA for not including one as standard or $500 option on the lower models.
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby triton_guru on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:58 pm

Pick the mq so you can still be apart of newtriton :-)
triton_guru

Postby Snooozy on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:45 pm

not sure which would be the best thread to place this link. mods please move it if there is somewhere better.

interesting comparison on the current lineup of dual cab utes.

I have not driven any of these so cannot comment personally. Not sure how impartial the judges were.

>>>car advice comparison<<<
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bodia on Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:43 am

These make me laugh. The vehicles I would buy always rate poorly mainly cause the fancy crap doesn't interest me. If I was gona spend that money I would by a dual cab cruiser! I bought the triton based simply on value and if I hadn't it would've been a d22. Like to see how poorly a d22 would rate lol r
bodia

Postby snowman on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:19 am

Snooozy wrote:not sure which would be the best thread to place this link. mods please move it if there is somewhere better.

interesting comparison on the current lineup of dual cab utes.

I have not driven any of these so cannot comment personally. Not sure how impartial the judges were.

>>>car advice comparison<<<

they got the warranty terms wrong. not 130k anymore. only 100k and/or 5 yerars
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby spambot on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:02 pm

snowman wrote:
Snooozy wrote:they got the warranty terms wrong. not 130k anymore. only 100k and/or 5 yerars

Yeah 130,000 on the MY15's.

And hi all first post, apologies for hijacking this thread. But whilst I'm interested in reasons why to buy a triton. I'm also interested in hearing reasons why not?

EGR intake getting blocked after small amounts of km's, interior seats being ridiculously uncomfortable etc? Noisy driveline?

I've been eyeing off a GLS now that the prices have dropped, but starting to question it.
spambot

Postby shortSteve on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:45 pm

mickkk wrote:I am interested in hearing on why you picked the mq,
I'm currently in the market for a new dual cab. I was looking at the dual cab cruiser, and keeping it for 8 or more years. But did some numbers and worked out i would be better off getting a new " mid size" dual cab, deck it out and flog it off after 4 years and go again.

My requirements are
Base model
Cab chassis, ( will be putting an alloy canopy on it.)
Auto

It will be decked out with all the gear, bar work lockers etc. But will be keeping weight in mind a lot more. I'm not particularly loyal to any brand, not too fussy on looks. It will come down to a few things
Price,
It has to be fomfortable for both my little missis who is 4'10" and 37 kgs, and me who is 6" and about 115 kgs to drive.
After market accessories availability is a factor.

So this has left me having to make a decision.
AMROK, I ruled out the amrok as I have not heard great things from people who owned then, and the mechanics all hate working on them.
HILUX, don't want the old one as its 10 years old ( new one is not out yet, and can not justify the 10 k Toyota tax they always seem to have.
NAVARA NP300, sounded interesting, 5 link coil rear end, twin turbo pulling crazy power and torque figures but a tad too new and fancy for me ( similar to amrok) not too sure how the coil rear ended will go with a load the on.
RANGER, nice looking truck, could see my self in one for sure. But can not justify the $8k price tag over the

The ones still in the running
Bt50 at 42k
Dmax at 39k
Colorado at 40 ish
Triton gq 43k ish

Will most likely be the bt50, but maybe Mitsubishi will give me a better trade in price, we will see. But I'm very interested how the new owners settled on the triton over others. Or any others opinions for that matter.

Hey mate, I went looking at the same list recently, the big surprise was that Mazda had dropped the warranty on BT50 to only 2 years/100k km. Dunno if this has changed with the new update model, but was really disappointing!

sS
shortSteve

Postby deermaster on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:49 am

Totota Hilux warrantee is bad too as lad just brought one and only three years or 60000Ks whatever comes first. FMD you would knock up the 60000ks in two years easily and be out of warrantee It goes OK but far too high in gears too as he tows a trailer a lot and is always in third gear when he should be in fourth
deermaster

Postby MilkmanDan on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:51 am

deermaster wrote:Totota Hilux warrantee is bad too as lad just brought one and only three years or 60000Ks whatever comes first. FMD you would knock up the 60000ks in two years easily and be out of warrantee It goes OK but far too high in gears too as he tows a trailer a lot and is always in third gear when he should be in fourth

Not to mention Toyota notoriously bad for warranty claims. Ask anyone that's had issues with hilux/cruisers over last few years and a good percentage will attest to pulling teeth is the best way to describe toyotas dealing with known problems.
MilkmanDan

Postby ben4x4 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:16 am

I just bought a gls mq and I think its a great ute so far. Only done about 500kms but there is nothing I would change so far. Very impressed!
ben4x4

Postby jrs184 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:25 am

deermaster wrote:Totota Hilux warrantee is bad too as lad just brought one and only three years or 60000Ks whatever comes first. FMD you would knock up the 60000ks in two years easily and be out of warrantee It goes OK but far too high in gears too as he tows a trailer a lot and is always in third gear when he should be in fourth

Maybe Kia stole all the extended warranties from the Japanese and that's how they get to offer 7years on all their vehicles...
jrs184

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

The MQ is starting to impress me more :lol:

The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Graeme1957 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:22 am

Loving the dialogue/comments in the clip;

"You know how to handle this car? This is a man's car you know."
"What are you doing???? OHHHH F[BLEEEEEEP]K!"

"I want to go again! Let's go again!"
"No. Let's go back."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thankyou CD,
I think you just introduced me (and about 50 others) to the new object of my desire.....
the car ain't half bad either! ;)
G.
MY15 MN GLX TRITON Diesel Dual cab with a few bits and a never ending list.

"If that's all there is my friend, then let's keep dancing.
Let's break out the booze and have a ball."
Graeme1957
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dan73no on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:55 pm

Looks pretty comfy for someone 4''10 judging by that clip. Hope your missus don't drive like that :shock:
Dan73no

Postby leadfootlodge on Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:29 pm

I was almost settled on a 2015 PX I manual ranger 4x2 well body but as it had been registered for a buyer that backed out last year, it has less than 2yr on the warranty.
I am leaning heavily toward a triton now, which I can get for the same price with the tray and height that I wanted, better towing (on paper), and the warranty length (I just want no bs for 5 yrs).
I asked the qn on a ford forum and had one poster say it was a sensible decision, and he'd gone the same way. Is anyone here going to tell me I'm silly and I should go with my original ranger....?

thanks
leadfootlodge

Postby jerrah on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:23 pm

spambot wrote:EGR intake getting blocked after small amounts of km's, interior seats being ridiculously uncomfortable etc? Noisy driveline?

My EGR has been fine. There is a few MQ's pushing 50,000km and they haven't reported issues.
MQ has been pretty well regarded for seat comfort. I recently drove for 6 days straight averaging 800km per day and felt comfortable at the end of it. I reckon I could easily do 1000km in a day and turn around and do it the next day. I've driven plenty of other vehicles that you'd have to unfold me like a pocket knife at the end of a 500km trip.
My driveline isn't noisy? MQ is very smooth and quiet.

Were these faults you've found with the MQ or just questions?
jerrah

Postby SMHinthewild on Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:18 pm

Click to view larger picture

A quick comment from UK (know specs are different). I have driven most of the manufacturers as standard rentals in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana on gravel roads and sand but in UK I need a family / camping /work farm truck.

The MQ was the best compromise but I would have chosen the Isuzu for an overland off roader and the Ranger for family.

However turning circle in the MQ was brilliant this year on the tight high mountain trails in the alps.

Sent from my Wileyfox Storm using Tapatalk
50 something family guy getting used to life after a LR Defender 110.
L200 (2016) slowly converting to decent off roader as the budget (and wife) permit
SMHinthewild

Return to General Discussion