Good time to buy a MQ? Aftermarket suspension & exhaust

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Good time to buy a MQ? Aftermarket suspension & exhaust

Postby suhua4 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:50 pm

As my MN is at the end of lease I am planning to upgrade it to a new car. Currently I am thinking the MQ exceed or an Amarok in Highline or Canyon, as they are the only fulltime 4x4 utes available (in automatics).

VW is currently doing good deals on Amarok, though the HL is still some $5k more exxy than the exceed. The outright purchase price is not the biggest issue however..... I've heard plenty of unhappey stories on VW, but they are definitely improved lately (dieselgate irrelevant to Amarok/T5). I own a T5 Transporter haven't had any big issues yet but that's pretty much stock. That say I am not sure (confident) the Amarok can take the challenge if I mod up and go tough driving, or if anything happen will VW be able to fix it with minimum dramas. Also the aftermarket mods are more expensive and more difficult to fit than those of Japs and yanks. I will have to spend significantly more amount of money to setup an Amarok than a Triton for exactly the same mods.

Back to the MQ, I have seen few build ups in the forum but there are still very important parts not yet available, even after half year gone on sale..... Apart from Ironman no one else has yet able to supply any suspension upgrades. No one has got any exhaust kits.... no underbody armour, rock slider...... Yeap, eventually they will come just we have to use the "unfinished" vehicle before that happens and not having much negotiation space on the new prices....

The other thing I am concerned is since the new Challenger will have a new 8 spd auto, how long before the Triton will be upgraded with one. If it's not happening in 2-3 years time, that may be just fine for the current MQ. But if MMA does upgrade the Triton with the new 8 speeder in 2016 or early 17, I'd better just wait for it, or take the Amarok instead..... Given the Dmax is having a facelift with new engine and hopefully new tranny next year, I have to say Mitsubishi is a bit short-sight throwing the old 5 speeder into the MQ......

I think I will test drive both in upcoming weeks. Then I will decide if Amarok worth the 10+% more (of anything $ related) than the MQ...... And hopefully if anyone is hearing any updates on MQ parts or upgrade plans that can help me making the decision will be very appreciated.
suhua4

Re: Good time to buy a MQ? Aftermarket suspension & exhaust

Postby adrianp on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:22 pm

8 gear Amarok dropped the low range, I prefer having low range instead a gearbox with more gears
adrianp

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:30 pm

adrianp wrote:8 gear Amarok dropped the low range, I prefer having low range instead a gearbox with more gears

They need all those gears so they can "get going" ;)
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby schilgsy on Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:41 am

ARB have barwork available now, recovery points and underbody protection in november, nitrocharger suspension either nov or Dec and safari snorkel by the end of the year.

I have the six speed manual MQ and it's great, haven't driven the auto but have owned previous model tritons and personally would trust them over Volkswagen with some of the first hand stories i have heard.
schilgsy

Postby ICKIS on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:11 pm

I am taking delivery of a glx dual cab auto in a week or so.... i am going with a dobinson lift... same as my mn... my 4x4 mechanic is confident he can get 3inches of lift.... plus the payload requirements i have as a tradie. This will hopefully give me the room for 285 75 16s... again same as my mn. I am looking at a diff drop kit too.
Mcc in brisi gave some good looking bullbars ... the falcon model is a complete bumber panel replacement.. not a bumper cut so diy is an easy option.
I have also ordered a tjm rear step bar.... looks good and best departure angle.
These are the best pics for me of the now several options available.

By the way an 8 spd auto would be sweet... but maybe in the next one....
ONLY SUCKERS PAY THE STICKER PRICE...............
ICKIS

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Eight speed auto with super select, torsen front diff, slippery rear diff with selectable lockup would be yummy.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ICKIS on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:09 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Eight speed auto with super select, torsen front diff, slippery rear diff with selectable lockup would be yummy.
Where did you find an 8 speed auto triton?
ONLY SUCKERS PAY THE STICKER PRICE...............
ICKIS

Postby Tony on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:01 pm

Where did you find an 8 speed auto triton?

"Would be", could be, they not exist unless vehicle is hybridized.

Mitsu have held off the "BIG" auto as take away pay load on the MQ. Also, the older 5 speeder is not that bad with duel range and also well proven aside of odd safe mode cycle due to overheat/high duty where only protecting it's self from abuse.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rsv4dan on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:09 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Eight speed auto with super select, torsen front diff, slippery rear diff with selectable lockup would be yummy.

torson diff is the same as an open diff when one wheel is in a zero torque situation - ie. a wheel off the ground. Clutch diff would be a whole lot better
rsv4dan

Return to General Discussion