tailgate, canopy window protection

Anything Triton 2016+ related

tailgate, canopy window protection

Postby danm on Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:34 am

I recently had the displeasure of replacing the rear canopy window and repairing the tailgate on my MN due to stone/rock damage from rebounding back from a trailer.
On the way home from this trip I passed a land cruiser with a padded blanket type cover on his back window/tailgate for just this reason, has anyone seen these type of things for sale anywhere?
The other option is a big mud/stone flap on the vehicle but I could see that getting ripped off.
Or a stone gaurd on the trailer, but I often tow two different trailers that are not mine.
danm

Re: tailgate, canopy window protection

Postby Graeme1957 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:05 am

Mate,
The simplest "mod" I have seen to stop reflected gravel from the trailer hitting the rear glass was a piece of 5mm thick corrugated plastic "cardboard" type stuff trimmed to shape and stuck in place with 3M "Protector" easy-peel adhesive tabs on each corner.
As for the tailgate.... same thing but with extra tabs as required to fit the contours of the tailgate skin. (it will fit under the lower edge of your glass canopy window, allowing for easy opening and closing of both and making a better dust seal!!)

Ok, so it blocks out ALL vision through the rear window (but let's be honest... who the heck uses that mirror anyway?)

The most expensive bit is the 3M mounts.... about $20 from Bunnings.

Easy to fit/remove, cheap as chips and no damage from drilling, screwing, silicone or 100 MPH Gaffer tape needed!

Hope this helps. (Well.... for the next trip anyway!) :oops:
Graeme

OR... you could try this.... http://www.obiesoutback.com.au/obie1.htm

EDIT: P.S. My missus just came up with one she uses too..... A couple of $5 windscreen sunshields from anywhere that sell them.... One on the glass (outside) & and one on the gate (outside) held in place with Gaffer tape....
LOVE IT! :lol:
MY15 MN GLX TRITON Diesel Dual cab with a few bits and a never ending list.

"If that's all there is my friend, then let's keep dancing.
Let's break out the booze and have a ball."
Graeme1957
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion