MQ snorkel

Anything Triton 2016+ related

MQ snorkel

Postby Joel W on Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:00 am

Hi all, has anybody noticed any difference after fitting a snorkel? I previously fitted one to my BT50 and lost a heap of power and economy. :( The ram air effect was lost by the long and tourterous path the air had to go just to enter the airbox. The mq has a much shorter so im hoping any potential loss will be at a minimum

Cheers
Joel W

Re: MQ snorkel

Postby Lastchance57 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:50 am

I picked up my MQ with quite a few options just before Christmas. It has a snorkel fitted by TJM. I have only done around 500k but have not noticed any difference in performance between mine and the demo that I drove before ordering. Not technical at all I know but an opinion. No comment on fuel economy, I'm still on my first tank.
Lastchance57

Postby Dilligara on Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:20 pm

Its a diesel, it shouldn't matter
Andrew - White MY17 Auto.
Dilligara

Postby Joel W on Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:51 pm

Hi Andrew, I'm hoping it won't negatively affect the mq like it did the BT50. I lost 50km a tank with the snorkel connected. I used to refit the rubber joiner before I'd go bush and play then remove again after. That gets old fast,
Joel W

Postby MilkmanDan on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:00 pm

Don't be fooled, no intake 'Rams' air. If you do the maths then you will have an answer to your BT50, and also the MQ.

Thing with snorkels is, unless you are planning a trip where more than likely you will need it then you buy one for purpose. If you are not going to do such a trip then don't bother. I bet my left nut a good 3 of 5 snorkel fitted cars never see more water than a bit of rain on the road.
MilkmanDan

Postby oodLes on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:36 am

MilkmanDan wrote:Don't be fooled, no intake 'Rams' air. If you do the maths then you will have an answer to your BT50, and also the MQ.

Thing with snorkels is, unless you are planning a trip where more than likely you will need it then you buy one for purpose. If you are not going to do such a trip then don't bother. I bet my left nut a good 3 of 5 snorkel fitted cars never see more water than a bit of rain on the road.

Agreed, the argument I heard for them around my office was that it got the cars intake up away from the exhausts from other vehicles.. :lol: :lol:
[RALLIART Colt ////// Triton GLS]
oodLes

Postby Deano197 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:06 pm

And there I thought the turbo charger rammed the air into the inlet.. Gees I had it all wrong.
Deano197

Postby koshari on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:14 pm

oodLes wrote:Agreed, the argument I heard for them around my office was that it got the cars intake up away from the exhausts from other vehicles..

Bit of bad luck if you get caught behind a WB ute with oversized mudflaps and hi-rise chrome exhaust stacks then.
koshari

Postby Duck on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:31 pm

If you are losing economy there is something wrong with the install.
Only need one if you are doing water crossings above the air intake, but if you are doing 4wheeling then sometimes you just may have to do a crossing to keep going, good insurance if you are going offroad.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Duck wrote:Only need one if you are doing water crossings above the air intake,

I beg to disagree, Duck.

I blew up an engine in my MK Triton in water that was barely deeper than the official "wading depth". In that case the engine fan flicked water up into the air intake. Not much, but enough to bend conrods, destroy bearings and require a $5K rebuild.

Luckily it was a V6 petrol engine so, even damaged, it still got me home. How tough are those 6G7's? :D

I've had snorkels ever since. ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby snakesoup on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:30 pm

mate 5th exactly as you described there happened to me me in my old mk v6 , I was on the border track and she still got me home back to Mildura !! didn't sound to good but got me home all the same, changed oil a couple of times on the way home hoping for the best and the amount of water that came out of the engine !!! full rebuild also, but damn that was a hood truck!! to bad it drank so much juice!!!
snakesoup

Postby Tim650 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:52 am

With a manufacturer specified wading depth of 500mm or 600mm at low speed, water shouldn't be a problem for the air intake ..... but I got a snorkel fitted to my MQ anyway :lol:

Anyone know why exactly the wading depth is so piss poor anyway? I've heard something about electronic components being mounted low in the engine bay?
Everyone has 20/20 vision in hindsight, yet few people can see bugger all right in front of them!

Regret hurts more than failure ....
Tim650

Postby MilkmanDan on Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:56 am

oodLes wrote:
MilkmanDan wrote:Don't be fooled, no intake 'Rams' air. If you do the maths then you will have an answer to your BT50, and also the MQ.

Agreed, the argument I heard for them around my office was that it got the cars intake up away from the exhausts from other vehicles.. :lol: :lol:

May have posted this in another thread but this is the intake I had on my old ute. Angry enough 5.7, made a touch over 400 horses at the wheels.

Basically the idea is to have the shortest path to the intake no restrictions, this case can't get much more direct. Inlet air temps would creep up at standstill and once moving drop down maybe 2 deg above ambient. Maybe a bit of dirty air but what you lose there you have gained much more by losing the factory intake.

A snorkel is only taking air higher up, no ramming. You are governed by the pipe size through the guard and then the factory air box which I'm sure is efficient enough to suit the airflow (would Mitsubishi [censored] that up? Who knows).

Click to view larger picture
MilkmanDan

Postby rsv4dan on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:14 pm

Fitted my tjm last weekend. $360. Not bad. Good kit and fits well
rsv4dan

Postby Deano197 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:30 pm

I do like the Tjm snorkel over the mitsi one, did you fit it yourself or was it fitted for $360?
Deano197

Postby rsv4dan on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:51 pm

Fitted it myself. $360 trade price
rsv4dan

Postby Tome on Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:11 pm

Anybody know where together a metal one fitted in Melbourne??
ie 3inch or 4inch round black pipe??
Tome

Postby Kowboy23 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:33 am

Hey guys i have a Mitsubishi snorkel on my MQ GLS. Ive heard these are not waterproof at all. Just wondering what i need to do yo it to make it waterproof so i can wade some deeper water.

Cheers
Kowboy23

Postby jerrah on Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:47 pm

Kowboy23 wrote:what i need to do yo it to make it waterproof
I'd take it apart, find all the joins and seal them!
jerrah

Postby triton guy on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:39 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
Duck wrote:Only need one if you are doing water crossings above the air intake,

I beg to disagree, Duck.

I blew up an engine in my MK Triton in water that was barely deeper than the official "wading depth". In that case the engine fan flicked water up into the air intake. Not much, but enough to bend conrods, destroy bearings and require a $5K rebuild.

Luckily it was a V6 petrol engine so, even damaged, it still got me home. How tough are those 6G7's? :D

I've had snorkels ever since. ;)

Mine was just insane, LSD and could fry two wheels into third gear, but yep the economy was brutal
triton guy

Return to General Discussion