Bluetooth issues - constant connection dropouts

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Re: Bluetooth issues - constant connection dropouts

Postby JBH23 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:00 pm

ilium007 wrote:my head unit seems to fit further back than yours.

yeah the factory brackets will do that.. I had the same problem. I bought the fascia off ebay and it came with a set of mounting brackets that has the mounting holes much further forward.

This is the one I bought. I know the add says MN but it's the same fascia
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBISHI-T ... 1786524521?
JBH23

Postby ilium007 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:07 pm

JBH23 wrote:It should probably also be said that replacing the radio unit with another mitsu one will most likely not improve any bluetooth issues. As far as I know, the bluetooth and usb is handled by a module separate to the radio unit. Any issue someone is experiencing regarding bluetooth performance would probably not change with replacement of the radio unit alone.

Tritons are not the only vehicles that suffer from bluetooth issues using genuine hardware. Its strange how even the cheapest of after market BT head units rarely suffer from problems

I misread your post. I missed the bit about replacing it with another Mitsubishi one. Apologies
Last edited by ilium007 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilium007

Postby ilium007 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:09 pm

JBH23 wrote:

yeah the factory brackets will do that.. I had the same problem. I bought the fascia off ebay and it came with a set of mounting brackets that has the mounting holes much further forward.

Great - thanks.
ilium007

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:10 am

JBH23 wrote:
ilium007 wrote:Do you think the factory head unit is worth selling ?

I personally wouldn't bother. There may be a few people chasing one somewhere down the track but I'd say the majority of people would go for an aftermarket unit when their genuine one dies

You never know your luck in a big city...

You might find someone who wants a straight swap for a broken one, or someone with an ML or MN looking for a factory look replacement or whatever.

Mine has the MMCS, older style, which most regard as a POS and yet I've seen them sell for way more than you'd expect on ebay. Admittedly they were a kenwood unit and actually sound pretty good but the point is you never know.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ilium007 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:12 am

Any ideas for replacing the USB socket in the centre console (I have a GLS) ? The new head unit has a standard USB plug on the rear, would be good to have the socket where the factory one was but the factory USB connector has a non standard USB plug on the back.

I thought of hacking up the factory one, but then I can't put the old head unit back in if needed. Does anyone know of any MQ Tritons being wrecked yet? Surely someone has binned one.
ilium007

Postby bobski on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:37 pm

I've had zero issues with my GLX MQ and a couple of recent android phones (hell even the voice commands work well). There are simply so many variations of devices its impossible to test them all, so its no surprise to me that some people luck out. Ironically, the only bluetooth problems I've ever had in a car were with a hired BMW and an iPhone. You'd think Apple would be the first devices you test!

Good thread though, upgrading the head unit for a reversing camera is still on the list and this has answered a few questions. Thanks for the info!
bobski

Postby JBH23 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:55 pm

ilium007 wrote:Any ideas for replacing the USB socket in the centre console

Currently my usb cable comes out into the pocket area in front of the gear stick. Something I'm planning on doing when I can be arsed is disconnecting the factory usb cable from the module and plugging it into the aftermarket unit to utilize the factory usb location. This would of course depend on wether the factory cable had a true usb end on it. Even if it diddnt, it wouldnt be much mucking around wiring one.
JBH23

Postby ilium007 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:58 pm

JBH23 wrote:
ilium007 wrote:Any ideas for replacing the USB socket in the centre console

Currently my usb cable comes out into the pocket area in front of the gear stick. Something I'm planning on doing when I can be arsed is disconnecting the factory usb cable from the module and plugging it into the aftermarket unit to utilize the factory usb location. This would of course depend on wether the factory cable had a true usb end on it. Even if it diddnt, it wouldnt be much mucking around wiring one.

Nah, it doesn't have a standard USB fitting on the OEM cable. I didn't want to cut the end off the factory loom to break out the cables. I am going to try and get an OEM USB socket and cut it up and then interface with the Alpine standard USB fitting if that makes sense.
ilium007

Postby ilium007 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:10 pm

JBH23 wrote:

I have a GLS - is the plastic surround the same shape ? The A/C controls are different in my MQ. What is the fascia plastic quality like compared to the factory plastic ? Hard to make it out in the pics.
ilium007

Postby JBH23 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:01 pm

I dare say the radio unit would be the same shape therefore the fascia should be the same. Plastic quality is good. It's a gloss black so does differ from the rest of my dash slightly, but not enough to stand out IMO. A/C controls in yours may be electrical therefore may not have all of the cables if any that need to be disconnected before the radio fascia can be removed.
JBH23

Postby ilium007 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:58 pm

JBH23 wrote:I dare say the radio unit would be the same shape therefore the fascia should be the same. Plastic quality is good. It's a gloss black so does differ from the rest of my dash slightly, but not enough to stand out IMO. A/C controls in yours may be electrical therefore may not have all of the cables if any that need to be disconnected before the radio fascia can be removed.

I have got all the A/C stuff out, one plug. I was more concerned if the actual Mitsubishi plastic dash was the same. My dash surrounding the head unit is already gloss black.

I am thinking of buying this fascia from the UK. It is $$$ but comes with new steel brackets that fit a standard double DIN head unit perfectly with their fascia. Also comes with the Connects2 steering wheel control interface. It works out (with postage form UK) $10AUD more expensive than buying the 2 x Aerpro ISO harnesses, an Aerpro fascia and an Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel interface.

Click to view larger picture

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ctkmt12 ... g-kit.html

This kit is listed for the 2015+ Mitsubishi Triton MQ / L200
ilium007

Postby rsv4dan on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:47 am

New hardware is an expensive fix. Here's a cheap one that works every time, and i know because i'm a service advisor.
Delete pairing from car, delete pairing from phone. Re-pair. Done.
rsv4dan

Postby ilium007 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:15 am

rsv4dan wrote:New hardware is an expensive fix. Here's a cheap one that works every time, and i know because i'm a service advisor.

I'm pretty sure most of us who experienced this issue tried this multiple times without any success. This is the exact response I expected, and indeed received, from Mitsubushi service dept.

The new Alpine head unit works without fault, not a single Bluetooth dropout or interrupted phone call.
ilium007

Postby Tome on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:57 am

ilium007 wrote:
rsv4dan wrote:New hardware is an expensive fix. Here's a cheap one that works every time, and i know because i'm a service advisor.

I'm pretty sure most of us who experienced this issue tried this multiple times without any success. This is the exact response I expected, and indeed received, from Mitsubushi service dept.

The new Alpine head unit works without fault, not a single Bluetooth dropout or interrupted phone call.

How much with? Install costs??
Tome

Postby ilium007 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:09 am

It has cost me $1000. That's with steering wheel control interface and working OEM rear camera. I installed myself. Thanks Mitsubishi.
ilium007

Postby ilium007 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:24 am

I'll add also that the new Challenger that we bought at the same time in late 2015 has no such Bluetooth drop out issues.
ilium007

Postby JBH23 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:16 am

Deleting and re-pairing is not a 'fix'. Not having a go at you personally mate but talking like that, I have absolutely no doubt you're a service advisor :lol:

My Kenwood unit gives no problems whatsoever. Replacing the genuine unit with this was a 'fix'. Cost-wise with the unit+harness+fascia kit+chinese reverse camera (which is clearer than the genuine article :roll:) was about $400 with self-install. To not ever have to worry about poor bluetooth/sound/performance again, that's a pretty cheap fix IMO.

I recently moved from an Iphone to a Galaxy Note 5. I'm now adding a wifi HDMI dongle for wireless screen mirroring (and control) from the head unit. AFIK iOS is capable of mirroring only
JBH23

Bluetooth issues - constant connection dropouts

Postby godzilla_rising on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:55 am

Gday All,

I recently was having the same issues in my 2007 ML Triton with the factory Parrot Bluetooth. It would connect, drop out and reconnect constantly.

I fixed the issue by pulling out the centre console (yes the one with the gear sticks), checking all the connections and the earth point. I also found that with the tray it sits on, while there were bolts holding it in position, there were no nuts. As this is at this point that the tray is attached to the rest of the vehicle, you may end up getting dodgy earths. So it's either install nuts and actually do them up, or what I did which was to wedge a whole heap of Framie Tape (Airframe Tape) up underneath which serves to push the tray up, making contact, but also to cushion and remove vibration.

Now the issue has resolved itself and I can go back to talking continuously on my phone.

Hope that helps you all!!!
Godzilla Rising

"Kate's Dirty Sister" click here
2007 3.2 DiD GLX-R

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.
godzilla_rising

Previous

Return to General Discussion