Anything Triton 2016+ related

Re: Roo Systems ECU Remap & Match tuned Exhaust

Postby snakesoup on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:36 pm

blow off valve fitted ?
snakesoup

Postby 2ENIL8 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:17 am

Mojo...

Would you be able to put up a video of how it drives.

I am so thinking about this aswell.

Brock
2ENIL8
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Monkeyz on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:43 pm

2ENIL8 wrote:Mojo...

Would you be able to put up a video of how it drives.

I am so thinking about this aswell.

Brock

What specifically do you want to see ?

Mojo.
Monkeyz

Postby coughy on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:38 pm

i think he is after driveability and power and how she performs
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Monkeyz on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:22 pm

Well I can point her up a bloody steep hill near home and let you listen to the revs / gear change....It used to be first gear all the way up now its third gear..

Mojo..
Monkeyz

Postby coughy on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:28 pm

nice 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Top End Wrangler on Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:38 am

Monkeyz wrote:Good luck Top End Wrangler, make sure you post ya number here once ya done, Id love to compare notes with others with the same setup..

Mojo... :o

Well this didn't quite go to plan yesterday :evil:

Software issues with Roo System apparently, now have to go back in again today. Fuel mixture off and this is what is giving them grief :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyway, back in today and hopefully emerge with a smile ! :D
Top End Wrangler

Postby L200Shogun on Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:31 am

I have read elsewhere of "issues" while having Roo tunes done. It seems some places are installers (ie they remove and sent ecu away if problems occur for others to fix) while others are tuners.
L200Shogun

Postby Top End Wrangler on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Top End Wrangler wrote:
Monkeyz wrote:Good luck Top End Wrangler, make sure you post ya number here once ya done, Id love to compare notes with others with the same setup..

Software issues with Roo System apparently, now have to go back in again today. Fuel mixture off and this is what is giving them grief :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am so pi__ed off right now it's not funny :twisted:

So install now complete, gone from 111.4HP to 122.2HP or 83.1kw to 91.1 kw. Roo System can't explain why the number isn't around 140hp, they apparently tried 7 different tunes.

So is $1700 worth less than 10% increase on my car, hell no. (I already had a 3 inch exhaust)

I have the weekend to think about it but they have offered a full refund and return the car back to stock form.

I am now worried maybe I have a crook turbo as the local tuner stated they could get any decent increase to the boost :shock: :shock: :shock:
Top End Wrangler

Postby Monkeyz on Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:54 pm

mmmmm... not nice, Id be getting my vehicle rest to factory std then getting a good mechanic to have a look.. you should easily get more than 10%...and you started 10 kw below my baseline run with 90 ish Kw pretty std.once you have sorted your turbo issues then retry the ecu remap.

Or have you checked your inlet manifold for build up, my tuners said this has a drastic effect on tune and power..

if fuel mixture was the issue then they have boosted rail pressure and cant get the air into the system to re-balance the ratios with increased boost..

I chose a well known tuner shop for mine, and they didnt just remap but they ran a full dyno tune as well an tweaked my remap to the truck and environment i.e. Tassie cold, I think all up they did over 20 dyno runs to get the fuel / air ratios right).

I think my boost maxed at 21 psi, as allegedly the MN triton has a 23 psi software cut out to protect the engine.

My engine is also pampered with 5000k service interval oil an filter changes, Caltex vortex diesel, flashlube diesel additive and I always fix any little thing that pops up.

Good luck and it might be worth keeping everyone informed as to what you find out..

Cheers..

Pat. (Mojo).. :( :(
Monkeyz

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:37 am

Top End Wrangler wrote:
Top End Wrangler wrote:

I am so pi__ed off right now it's not funny :twisted:

So install now complete, gone from 111.4HP to 122.2HP or 83.1kw to 91.1 kw. Roo System can't explain why the number isn't around 140hp, they apparently tried 7 different tunes.

So is $1700 worth less than 10% increase on my car, hell no. (I already had a 3 inch exhaust)

I have the weekend to think about it but they have offered a full refund and return the car back to stock form.

I am now worried maybe I have a crook turbo as the local tuner stated they could get any decent increase to the boost :shock: :shock: :shock:

Take the refund and run as far as you can. I wouldn't be trusting a "tuner" who couldn't diagnose problems.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Top End Wrangler on Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:48 am

Take the refund and run as far as you can. I wouldn't be trusting a "tuner" who couldn't diagnose problems.[/quote]

Yep agree, decided to get a full refund and reinstate the stock tune. I would have thought they could tell me why they can't get decent numbers.......

Will investigate further, I have an EGR blank but will look at the manifold & Turbo + Boost controller. Sorry for the rant Friday, I was very disappointed ....
Top End Wrangler

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:34 pm

No need to apologise, you invested some serious coin (and trust) and they let you down. I would have been pretty pissed off if it happened to me! :evil:
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Monkeyz on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:38 pm

I noticed some black puffs of smoke over the last week at low rpm, usually taking off then changes from 1st to 2nd to 3rd... I rang Boost and they have booked me in to refine the low end tune to lean out the fuel / air ratio.... so for me it really brings home the point made earlier "pick a good tuner" they knew instantly what the issue was and set about getting me back to fix it.

this is only a minor issue but each vehicle is different in minor ways that means the tune needs tweaking....Im still very happy with the result but have heard nil from Roo Systems re all the delivery issues..

the Saga continues....

Mojo.. :D
Monkeyz

Postby Top End Wrangler on Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:38 am

"Take the refund and run as far as you can. I wouldn't be trusting a "tuner" who couldn't diagnose problems.[/quote]"

Well things are getting pretty interesting as Roo Systems assured me a full refund. They refund their part and the tuner refunds his part (Total $1695). Drop the car off this morning to the tuner, asked how he would refund his portion and was told no, Roo Systems gives the full refund.

Spoke with Roo Systems, they said they would address it a call me straight back. That was well over an hour ago.

Thinking this will become a PITA today .... :evil:
Top End Wrangler

Postby dougie123 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Mate not having a go but why didn't you go ECUTEK? The whole Roo Systems come across slimly as, like the stereo type use car sales man.
dougie123

Postby Monkeyz on Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:02 pm

dougie123 wrote:Mate not having a go but why didn't you go ECUTEK? The whole Roo Systems come across slimly as, like the stereo type use car sales man.

I reckon his issues are more than the tune, it sounds like the tune showed up some issues with his turbo / engine, but I would agree Roo Systems has a big issue with its sales manager, his advice to me would have gotten my truck blown to hell... This is why I chose a reputable tuner who cut through the sales BS and gave me the hard facts and looked after me. even sorting out my tune finessing next week to lean out my lower end a touch to stop the black smoke as im running a little rich on the bottom end of my power curve.

Still im very impressed with the Remap & Tune end result and the overall quality of my exhaust, the darn truck is running like I always felt it should....Frankly ECUTEK or ROO or any number of other tunes are only as good as the Tuner installing it, if you get a remap monkey then ya buggered no matter how good the product. Im feeling Top Ends pain and hope it all gets resolved for him.

Mojo...
Monkeyz

Postby Top End Wrangler on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:47 am

Monkeyz wrote:
dougie123 wrote:Mate not having a go but why didn't you go ECUTEK? The whole Roo Systems come across slimly as, like the stereo type use car sales man.

I reckon his issues are more than the tune, it sounds like the tune showed up some issues with his turbo / engine, but I would agree Roo Systems has a big issue with its sales manager, his advice to me would have gotten my truck blown to hell... This is why I chose a reputable tuner who cut through the sales BS and gave me the hard facts and looked after me. even sorting out my tune finessing next week to lean out my lower end a touch to stop the black smoke as im running a little rich on the bottom end of my power curve.

Still im very impressed with the Remap & Tune end result and the overall quality of my exhaust, the darn truck is running like I always felt it should....Frankly ECUTEK or ROO or any number of other tunes are only as good as the Tuner installing it, if you get a remap monkey then ya buggered no matter how good the product. Im feeling Top Ends pain and hope it all gets resolved for him.

Mojo...

Tune now removed, not much deference but noticeable. Refunds have not shown up yet but I need to give them the benefit that it will within a couple of days.

I will get my engine & accessories (Turbo etc) assessed by a quality tuner and see if there are any underlying issues. Fingers crossed ....

Went the Roo Systems Tune simply because I had heard very good feedback locally about it, admittedly not from Triton owners however, plus seeing Mojo's numbers. Anyway someone's got to be test pilots, just lucked out on my behalf .....
Top End Wrangler

Postby Monkeyz on Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:27 pm

The Saga continues ... A new Hope....

So finally have the Tune dialed in and am dead happy with the performance, Power and Torque...

BUT.......I am getting Turbo / Air codes when I hammer the ol bus, I have had a Diesel Turbo Expert have a look and he said easy fix he will just add a Dawes Valve to stabilize the boost, he said this is common on 3" exhaust upgrades with the VGT (Variable Geometry Turbos) start to develop boost spikes that throw the computers into a frenzy and throw codes.

Apparently the valve will smooth the boost curve and eliminate the spikes therefore the codes..Im outta my depth with this one but the Interwebs appears to support this..

so next Wednesday the bus in in the shop again and hopefully problem solved...Pity Roo Systems doesn't recognize this and supply the fix at the time of install........

Cheers Mojo.... :D
Monkeyz

Postby coughy on Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:12 pm

no not entierly correct but yes it will help
u not running any more boost than standard??
with the 3" it spools faster and easier and does make more boost so yes you will get over boost codes
i beat you got P1298 code??? with a engine light on until you get it cleared??
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Monkeyz on Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:12 pm

coughy wrote:no not entierly correct but yes it will help
u not running any more boost than standard??
with the 3" it spools faster and easier and does make more boost so yes you will get over boost codes
i beat you got P1298 code??? with a engine light on until you get it cleared??

Yup boost is increased as far as I know....Do you think this fix is worth it to resolve the codes ?

Pat..
Monkeyz

Postby coughy on Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:20 pm

it will help but wont stop it
im going threw same crap with my car for 2 years now
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:31 am

I reckon it's your best shot of a fix, short of taking it to Tony anyway.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Monkeyz on Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:44 pm

Looks like I finally have a solution, I took my triton to a diesel / Turbo expert and we wired the ol girl up an took her into the hills and flogged her to see what popped it ugly head up and whammo there it was....

It appears that the 3" exhaust tied to some added boost has created an issue with the MAF & MAP sensors, as my understanding goes the new system can pull far more air through the engine than some internal thresholds can cope with, apparently there is a 4.9 ish volt signal peak from the sensors triggers the limp mode and this cannot be changed due to hard wiring of some components so there is a solution... a Fuel cut defender combined with a boost controller (Dawes Valve)...

So as was explained the Fuel Cut Defender stops the signal spikes that shut the engine down within certain ranges and the boost controller smooths the boost out so no spikes in boost to trigger other engine light causing issues....sort of like the resister mod but far more refined and wont inflict a performance hit (i discussed this with the guys)

All above my head but seems to check out under research, This isnt a new fix with petrol heads but oddly little used by oilers, the blokes i took my Triton too have been sorting this issue out for years with this option and are confident it will solve my issues safely....as it apparently has on many other 4wds they have sorted...

So next Tuesday im laying it on the line and having this all installed and dialled in. Allegedly with no loss in performance or danger to the engine but will eliminate the engine codes for this specific set of circumstances..hey they warranty it and back it up...

Link for those interested....Ill keep you posted on results..

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Product-Categories/Fuel-Cut-Defenders/Fuel-Cut-Defender-FCD-2-electronic.html

Mojo.....

I may own a Triton by the end of next week or may be buying a new one....=)
Monkeyz

Postby Tony on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:11 pm

Yep, they're correct, that the problem with these things, the CEL does not always point to the issue on VGT vehicles.
We also clamp the sensors (Clamp and release MAP when dawes valve used, be warned full clamp such as some FCD's could be very dangerous for your turbo and engine as essentially the ECU no longer has any idea what is going on should the boost run away). You can also try spacing out the Maf sensor to help with airflow issue for cheap fix. No ideal, but works.

Let me tell you about a little situation some time ago. We had everything clamped and Dawes set at around 22 psi. OK, sweet, no more issues. One day the brass Tee blew a small hole (Manufacturing fault) and acted like a bleed so boost leaked off. What happens now? The VGT stays in full attack (Unbeknownst to the driver or the ECU) and boost levels were hitting high as 42PSI.

Be warned, the engine management has safe guards for a reason. Just is very sensitive on these. Make sure they are left in place or intelligently offset unless you know what your doing. 8-)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion