Egr blanking plate in mq???

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Re: Egr blanking plate in mq???

Postby jerrah on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:37 am

YTO wrote:Will try to install sometime soon.
Thanks for the update! It should take mere seconds to install.

I'd be interested to know:
a) if the box looks waterproof
b) whether it can be secured to the side of the airbox or does it just dangle
c) what's inside the box (i.e. is it just a resistor ala Munji or is there something else going on.
jerrah

Postby Switch-47 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:45 am

Bought one (egr blanking plate with 10mm hole) and had it in for about 6000km-7000km no issues yet no warning lights all as per normal . Coming up to 15,000 service ,will probably take it out for that.
Switch-47

Postby ls2cruiser on Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi All, I have received the MQ EGR module as in the previous photo. I had to undo the screws to have a look inside the black box and there is a resin block encasing all the wiring and circuitry . So no chance of water effecting anything or seeing the circuitry
ls2cruiser

Postby jerrah on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:17 pm

So has anyone plugged theirs in yet?
jerrah

Postby ls2cruiser on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:20 pm

yes and started the engine and stopped it as per instructions and started again. Then went for a drive to see someone and no difference in driving that I notice.
ls2cruiser

Postby ls2cruiser on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:24 pm

Fuel consumption went down to 7.4 liters / 100ks . I have 1" bigger diameter tyres as well so my fuel consumption should be a bit higher as the computer does not know that I am actually travelling further. So in reality my fuel consumption guage should be more like 7.0 or less
ls2cruiser

Postby ls2cruiser on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:48 pm

I suppose if no hot exhaust gas is being fed into the intake then there could be a slight increase in performance and therefore better fuel economy. The run tonight was a fair bit of highway about 60kms. My triton has done about 1600kms
ls2cruiser

Postby ls2cruiser on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:51 pm

I am not sure if I want to test the unit as I dont want to damage it. It could have a chip inside and if I dont know what I am doing I wont go there lol
ls2cruiser

Postby YTO on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:43 pm

Finally plug it in feel abit better in performance but could be wrong. But fuel economy went down to 7 ish from 10 /100km or so? All normal city driving. Didn't open up just in case stuff it up.
YTO

Postby Spaceman on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:56 am

When ordering the module did you do it on line or contact them direct. If ordering online is there a option to ensure you get the correct one for the MQ
Spaceman

Postby jerrah on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Spaceman wrote:on line
yes
Spaceman wrote:option to ensure you get the correct one for the MQ
there is a text field you can type into to specify vehicle model.
jerrah

Postby ls2cruiser on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:28 pm

The one I received from chiptuning has MQ written on it . I removed the sticker from the black box as I dont like stickers lol . I will let you all know if there is some sort of improvement in fuel consumption. After my short trip last night an improvement is looking promising. It is way too early for me to tell.
ls2cruiser

Postby jerrah on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:41 pm

It would be interesting if someone with a scanguage can repeat GreyTriton's test to see if there is also a loss of boost with this mod. I'm guessing from the lack of response on the thread that nobody has both items yet.
jerrah

Postby Spaceman on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:32 am

The EGR module ordered from chiptuning, I have now set the scangauge to read EGR %. Does anyone have the xgauge setting for reading boost pressure
Spaceman

Postby jerrah on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:35 am

Spaceman wrote:Does anyone have the xgauge setting for reading boost pressure
try this
jerrah

Postby Spaceman on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:43 am

Cool, thanks
Spaceman

Postby sal355 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:18 pm

Should you still run a blank plate with the chip tune module ? Or is it not neccasery with the way it operates?
cheers
sal355

Postby jerrah on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:28 pm

If the EGR valve is closed you shouldn't need the plate. That said a plate would stop any potential build up on the back of the valve - whether that is an issue or not.
jerrah

Postby jerrah on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Jerrah wrote:It would be interesting if someone with a scanguage can repeat GreyTriton's test
I'm someone, so I bought a scan gauge. Oddly I got different results to Greytriton.

Greytriton wrote:No cable installed - 60-80kmh full throttle flat road - Initial spike 26-27psi boost tapering to a solid 24psi holding.
Cable installed - 60-80kmh full throttle flat road - Initial spike 23 psi boost settling at 19-20psi max.
A loss of 4psi and I can feel it.

GreyTriton, is your car a manual or an auto?

No cable installed - 60-80km/h full throttle flat road - 21psi.
"Tony cable" - 60-80km/h full throttle flat road - 21psi. Big difference in reported psi?

I just used the built in "BST" setting under gauges. Refresh set to "fast". Reads 0.0 when the engine is off so presumably the MAP reading is calibrated.

I've seen 22psi when under load up a hill but nothing near 24-27psi. Either mine is low, GreyTriton's is a high achiever, his car is under more load or there is a calibration issue.

I would be interested to see what other Scanguage owners read. I was surprised how much boost the engine uses when on the highway. Hovers around 8-10psi at 100km/h in 6th.

My brief "Tony cable" review: Idle is smoother. Lag is gone. Feels flatter in acceleration which made me fear I also was down in psi but I now believe it builds boost much earlier without the hesitation so it never feels like that rubber band hit of power. Whether there is a loss of power or not I think the only way we'd know for sure is to use a dyno and do a proper repeatable load based test. I've taken mine out until I've thought about it some more.
jerrah

Postby ls2cruiser on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:45 pm

So Jarrah, you have a MQ 6 speed manual and you are testing the new chiptuning EGR module that tony has supposedly manufactured and there is no loss of psi boost. Interesting the boost on the highway at 100kms/h . Next time you are out please note the boost at 80 kms/h as some members have noted much better economy at 80 compared to 100. If the turbo is spooling then in goes the extra fuel as well . Also heat in the combustion chamber can cause problems in some engines when they have to spool all the time.
Was greytritons a MQ? Is he testing the new egr off module or the old one? Ok just went back to greytritons posts and he is testing a different module made by "crisp" . That explains the different result.
ls2cruiser

Postby jerrah on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:24 pm

ls2cruiser wrote:MQ 6 speed manual
Yes
ls2cruiser wrote:and you are testing the new chiptuning EGR module that tony has supposedly manufactured and there is no loss of psi boost.
AFAIK he did yes (but I've had no confirmation) I didn't lose any psi over what I had before, but both value are less than GreyTriton.

ls2cruiser wrote:please note the boost at 80 kms/h
It was less but it was still producing positive pressure. I don't see this as a problem with the diesel's because effectively there is no throttle plate so you're never running at vacuum. With the module in you effectively have no throttle plate. With the module in it reports as much as 1psi almost at idle. Without I see vacuum when I take my foot off the throttle as the electronic throttle plate activates.

ls2cruiser wrote:as some members have noted much better economy at 80 compared to 100.
That would make sense as there is way less wind resistance at 80km/h. I generally get good fuel economy though.

ls2cruiser wrote:If the turbo is spooling then in goes the extra fuel as well.
Not necessarily. Diesel's run hotter/more power when there is more fuel. Because you can't really run a diesel lean (you just lose power) I see no problem in running in positive pressure in cruise on the highway. More air ≠ more fuel unless there is load.

ls2cruiser wrote:Was greytritons a MQ?
yes.
ls2cruiser wrote:Is he testing the new egr off module or the old one?
Crispmods. Returned for refund earlier in this thread.
ls2cruiser wrote:That explains the different result.
Doesn't explain his extra boost without the module. Forced induction has so many different variables. I know from experience with petrol forced induction you can't really test these things 100% without same day on the same load based dyno. You will get higher boost readings under load than you will otherwise. For instance if you race your engine in neutral you'll get almost nothing but if you put a 3T trailer on the back and floor it up the range you'll see what it can do! I hope mine isn't a poor performer but it appears to go well.
jerrah

Postby glowplug on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:34 pm

I have fitted mine however I don't have a scan gauge to be able too see before and after, did a 300k round trip yesterday noticed better take off and also smoother idle. Fuel consumption not sure yet. Have a big trip towing a 2tonne boat coming up might invest in the scan gauge from Tony also.
glowplug

Postby ls2cruiser on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:15 pm

jerrah, why did you take the new egr delete module off your triton? Werent you happy with the changes? I am not familiar with these engines at all. I tune my own supercharged lsx powered landcruiser ute. It puts out around 790hp crankshaft. I have never tuned a diesel. At least we dont seem to be loosing boost using the new egr delete module.
ls2cruiser

Postby ls2cruiser on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:08 am

What I would like to see is "Tony" who makes these modules come on the forum and discuss the benefits of using the new module so everyone is clear about what it does. It would be a good way to sell more of them and make us all more confident with his product.
ls2cruiser

Postby explorer.dave on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:59 am

ls2cruiser wrote:What I would like to see is "Tony" who makes these modules come on the forum and discuss the benefits of using the new module so everyone is clear about what it does. It would be a good way to sell more of them and make us all more confident with his product.

https://chiptuning.com.au/products-page/egr_module/

Doesn't this answer your questions?
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion