Towing heavy with the MQ?

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Towing heavy with the MQ?

Postby Rusty Iron on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:36 am

I'm looking for info on towing a very heavy caravan with a 2016 MQ GLS auto. Van will probably be at 2950 - 3000 kgs. I'm only towing this van on short trips (under 1000 kms) until I can trade it for a smaller one. I'm specifically looking for info on;

1) Any reliability issues with the MQ 5 spd auto

2) MQ auto vehicle behaviour with a very heavy tow

3) MQ transmission cooler - factory one OK? or should I look at aftermarket.

Can you help point me in the right direction, or advise if a heavy caravan / trailer towing thread would be appropriate for the MQ auto.

Thanks

Russell.
Rusty Iron

Re: Towing heavy with the MQ?

Postby TUFF TROOP on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:35 am

Have got customers who tow 2800-3000kg on a daily basis one has a auto one has a manual. Both perform well, they have no issues apart from the auto lagging a little in Hills.

One of them has spring helpers in the rear to help with the rear sag as well.
TUFF TROOP

Postby Rusty Iron on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:40 am

I have decided not to tow this van with the Triton. I took it over a weighbridge and it came up at 2940 kgs. And this is before adding clothing, bedding, food etc. So it would go over 3 tonnes. I know that the Triton can technically do it, but apart from the weight I have to consider the bulk and wind sail area of the van.

It sits fairly high on independent suspension so the centre of gravity is a bit higher than most vans. That, combined with possible cross winds and the blasts from passing trucks, can make even the 2.7t Cruiser wobble at times. With the Triton starting under 2t, I'm very nervous about the effects of uneven roads, wind, and possible emergency braking making the van get untidy at 90 - 95 km/hr, and then keeping it on the road with a much lighter car.

I might be getting soft, but I simply have no good reason to take risks like that.
Rusty Iron

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:46 am

Makes a lot of sense Rusty.

A late uncle of mine was one of the keenest vanners and had towed with various vehicles. He was fanatical about keeping weight down and that the van should never be heavier than the vehicle out front.

From my experiences towing heavy loads, I'm convinced that 2 to 2.5 tonnes is about the maximum that a dual cab ( of any flavour) should be towing. This race between manufacturers to have the greatest towing ability is creating a dangerous precedent out their.

Even with all the electricery available, its nice to know your vehicle can deal with a trailer on its own if the need presented itself.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to General Discussion