Soft tonneau cover or hard lid?

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Soft tonneau cover or hard lid?

Postby Lawz on Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi guys

Looking at getting a MQ GLS soon. Just wonder what's peoples opinions... on functionality, cost/value etc of Genuine soft tonneau cover vs Genuine hard lid?

I will be getting a spray on liner... I suppose they all the same? Genuine, Rhino and XtremeCoatings?

With soft tonneau cover are aftermarket similar fit like genuine? Also with the clip in rails do they rust etc?

With the hard lid are they easy to remove when required?

Cheers
Lawz

Re: Soft tonneau cover or hard lid?

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:43 pm

Many people seem to get over hard lids. They seem like a good idea. Make it difficult to carry big loads. They are very expensive.

Some of those spray in liners are very expensive. Do you really need "industrial" quality liner in a domestic use tub. Is applying one over capitalizing? Maybe a cheaper version like http://www.raptorliner.com.au/
L200Shogun

Postby Joel on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:02 pm

Soft tonneau or canopy are the go. If you want to be able to lock up the back why not have the extra space of a canopy at not much more price. Or if wanting to keep as a ute a soft tonneau gives a lot more flexibility than a hard lid.
I only drink on days starting with T... Today and Tomorrow
Joel

Postby bugsytwoshoes on Sun May 01, 2016 8:21 am

I went down this track with my MN I could not decide between a canopy or tonneau. Ended up going with the clip on tonneau ($400) but due to load restrictions ( could not fit freezers under tonneau) I bit the bullet and bought a canopy($2200), best thing I ever did. I have the tonneau for sale for $200 hardly used.
bugsytwoshoes

Postby ozrider81 on Sun May 01, 2016 8:57 am

tonneau cover can limit your load packing in car, might look good but it will will be your bane if your frequent traveller or going away with lads
ozrider81

Postby aquagen on Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:08 pm

Updating an old post with my experience. Rhino liner fades slightly but is smoother, xtreme liner no fade but rougher. I know this because I had mine sprayed the same week as my mates, I went xtreme.
If you get an overlip spray the factory hard lid won't fit properly. Will be usable just depends how fussy you are. I'm fussy.
The factory hard lid 2 piece is pretty ordinary. No adjustment and to remove you have to take the whole thing off, compared to 3 piece which has pins in lid. The hinge for the lid is selasticed in so you don't want to be taking those bolts out too often
aquagen

Postby Sandstorm76 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:22 pm

I had a hard lid until I realised that as soon as I opened it after rain the tub filled with water. Went straight back to mitsi

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Sandstorm76

Postby veom on Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:06 pm

I went from soft tonneau to a 3 piece hard cover. My soft tonneau was really good, but someone slashed it when my car was in the street... A few weeks after I managed to get a second hand hard cover for $50 bucks.

I've been loving the hard lid, being able to lock it is great when you want to go for hikes when camping. Also it takes a lot less time to close and open, none of those bungees to deal with. I've found a few minor leaks in my hard cover, but I've managed to fix them with additional water proofing material around the edges where it joins the car and the other two pieces.

Removing the cover is definitely more of an ordeal. I can take it off in about 15 minutes and then it takes about 15 minutes to put it back on. Not too bad but a softcover takes about 2 minutes.
veom

Postby bigboots on Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:57 pm

Had a hard lib on MQ GLS because boss said she couldn't reverse with canopy. Big mistake. Car fridge wouldn't fit under hard lid. Jerry cans wouldn't fit (needed to be in certain positions to fit). Just had to ditch the hard lid for canopy. Get the canopy - forget the hard lid. More secure and versatile.
bigboots

Postby Rossro on Sun May 23, 2021 3:19 pm

I was wondering if anyone has one of these tri-fold hard lids or knows someone who has one?

I like the option of being able to take it off reasonably easily:

https://unibee4x4.com.au/tri-fold-hard- ... n-mr-2019/

I really wanted one of these but they are not made for MRs:

https://www.tto.com.au/en-au/mitsubishi ... cover.html

Any other suggestions?
Rossro

Return to General Discussion