MQ GLS auto - shudder on takeoff

MQ GLS auto - shudder on takeoff

Postby Rusty Iron on Sun May 08, 2016 3:33 pm

My car is shuddering badly on takeoff, particularly if its facing uphill. At first, after coming from the silky smooth petrol Cruiser, I put it down to being a 4 cylinder diesel. Then after a few times it became clear it was a driveline issue.I did a search here and found references to shuddering in a number of different scenarios (lifted, manual trans etc) but not any on takeoff.

To set the scene; The car is stock standard. Only about 650 ks on the clock. Completely empty apart from the bull bar and canopy. Half a tank of fuel. Problem is only on takeoff, car is fine once over about 20 kph. Heavy acceleration once moving is no problem.

The road out the front of my place has a grade of around 1 in 8. Taking off uphill, at a normal throttle (not booting it) there is a very noticeable shuddering. Particularly bad in first gear, changing to a bad vibration most of the way through 2nd. By the time enough speed has built for the car to change to 3rd, it has settled down and goes smooth. If I had to take guesses, I would say it almost feels like an axle hop. But, I can't help thinking its something to do with the tail shaft.

The same problem occurs when taking off on flat ground, though significantly more throttle is needed to make it do the same thing. Either way, I think I should be able to plant my foot and expect a smooth takeoff like any other car. Am I right?

I've already told the dealer it will be coming back to get this looked at. In the meantime, does anyone else have this problem? Is it common for the Triton?
Rusty Iron

Re: MQ GLS auto - shudder on takeoff

Postby ag9111 on Sun May 08, 2016 3:45 pm

Load up the tray with weight and see if it still occurs?
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rusty Iron on Sun May 08, 2016 4:49 pm

ag9111 wrote:Load up the tray with weight and see if it still occurs?

I will when I get a chance, and I'm hoping that will improve things. But I've never had this problem in any other work or personal ute before.
Rusty Iron

Postby 2n508 on Mon May 09, 2016 12:09 am

Mines done it since new, mostly noticeable in 2nd when accelerating quickly.

Told the dealer at the 1500 km service, they tested a few others in the lot and said they were all the same.

They contacted MMAL who said it was a known issue and they were looking into it, I've got 11000km on the clock now, hasn't got any worse, or any better.
2n508

Postby RHKTriton on Mon May 09, 2016 7:23 am

The autos have the 'dog dick' hanging off the diff. I wonder it this was fitted to try and cover a problem?

MQs have also gone back to two piece tail shafts I recall seeing, maybe this is also contributing.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DanLawler on Mon May 09, 2016 7:31 pm

When i worked at Holden the RG Colorados were bad for it too, some worse than others, not sure they ever developed a fix. Like all things if the cost of developing and implementing a fix outweighs the complaints they wont bother fxing it.
DanLawler

Postby ming on Tue May 10, 2016 7:46 pm

All other manufacturers are the same, tho most generally see this issue after a suspension lift. Could be tailshaft, gearbox issues even your pinion angles mite be out. These issue's should be ironed out before it rolls onto the assembly line! :evil:
ming

Postby WUNSIE on Sat May 28, 2016 6:14 pm

Hi all new to the club,
I also have a brand new MQ GLS Dual Cab and It suffers from the shuddering. It feels exactly like what you experience in a Commodore with a stuffed Tail shaft centre bearing, What I have found is running 36psi in the rear tyres has reduced the severity of feeling it, also when I have it in 4H the shuddering in non existent, I put it in for its 1500km check, mentioned it to the dealer and they claim they couldn't feel a thing !!!!!!! :(
Also I had a noise like a Diff Whine/ rear wheel bearing whine dead on 80kph ( with a slight trailing throttle ) ask them to check the rear diff oil level as it was low, got the ute back stating ALL levels were checked and topped up, but I know they didn't check it, as I marked the plug with a small bit of masking tape, so I rang a couple of other Mitsubishi service dept and asked them where the level should be and was informed Factory fill is approx. 20mm down from the plug hole, any way It took 1.6lt to bring it up to the bottom of filler plug hole, considering it only takes 2.3 lt :o
Interested if any other MQ owners have had a similar low oil level from new!!! Might pay to check

Cheers all
WUNSIE

Postby rsv4dan on Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:33 am

The rear diffs are low from factory and should be topped up when the vehicle has its predelivery. Whoever delivered the vehicle and failed to top it up is [censored] useless, same with the first service not having rectified the issue either.

My mq had pretty bad shudder from standard. Fitted a lift and the shudder would just about shake the car to bits.
The lift included diff wedges and a tail shaft spacer!
I spaced the rear transmission up about 10-15mm which took it back to slightly worse than before the lift. Since fitted a tjm centre bearing cage and the shudder is now less than it was standard height but still noticeable.
I also have a vibration evident through the cabin at highway speeds. Feels like bad wheel balance - it isn't, I've balance the wheels myself several times and they're balanced perfect.
I think I'll just go ahead and get a single piece tail shaft eventually. Fyi I'm a service advisor for Mitsubishi and they give just as little shits about my issues!
rsv4dan

Postby Duck on Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:59 am

Well that inspires confidence :? I find a vehicle shudder unacceptable as they should, drop it of for warranty and keep the loan car intill fixed. If that requires Mitsi putting i. a new tail shaft or for that matter new geR box, its really a side issue. Don't care how its fixed just fix it. I would really get into a call cycle of a call a day to the dealer and mitsi Aus so it's evidently clear you aren't going away until the shudder is sorted.
Good luck & don't pass up on the opportunity to reply to regular buyers that visit this site & others to ask should I buy a Triton with the answer of NO, even a large businees like Mitsi cant afford for their dirty laundry being aired as its obviously not an issue with your car only.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby jerrah on Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:05 pm

rsv4dan wrote:My mq had pretty bad shudder from standard.
That's pretty worrying. You have the Exceed don't you? I've been talking to suspension companies and they almost universally said that my model (GLX(actually a GLX+) manual) was the only model with the two piece driveshaft and was the most likely to suffer from shudder. I've only done 500km or so - so far but I haven't noticed the shudder in my vehicle but I wasn't keen to introduce it with a lift.

rsv4dan wrote:Fitted a lift and the shudder would just about shake the car to bits.
If you don't mind me asking, what kit did you use and how much lift was it? It sounds like the TJM centre bearing cage is a must have. I've noticed that the ARB and TJM lift kits have significantly less "lift" than the 50mm quoted by companies such as Ultimate and Dobinsons.
jerrah

Postby Jason91 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:58 pm

This makes me glad I still have my 13Mn haven't had any issues yet touch wood
Jason91

Do all new auto gls tritons have shudder on takeoff

Postby Dazza12 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:37 am

I took a new gls auto for test drive and it had a terrible shudder on take off do they all have this problem or only some any help would be appreciated before I make a commitment to buy.
Last edited by Dazza12 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dazza12

Re: Do all new auto gls tritons have shutter on takeoff

Postby striker99 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:06 am

My GLS auto is at nearly 6000km, i'm starting to notice a shutter more often at take off now, i've been wondering the same...
striker99

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:15 am

Can someone help me with what a shutter is?

Is it:

A) actually a shudder?
B) a stutter?
C) something you put over your windows?
D) a kiwi toilet?
E) something else?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby ROBTON on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:21 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:D) a kiwi toilet?

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's Gold.

My Utes got a Shutter bro...oh sweet as, do you mind if I take if for a spin?
ROBTON

Postby Dazza12 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:25 am

Can anyone help with an answer ?
Dazza12

Postby ROBTON on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:39 am

Dazza12 wrote:Can anyone help with an answer ?

Probably, but it might take some time from someone on the forum.

In the meantime, you could always just put forward that question to the dealer where you took the test drive. Give them the feedback and see what they say. Surely they will be able to answer it for you. Test drive another model, test drive the manual.

A new car shouldn't be unpleasant to drive and shouldn't make you feel uncomfortable to drive it.
ROBTON

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:01 pm

I haven't followed the model changes, is this the one with the enormous big damper on the tailshaft? If it's not, then perhaps the damper is there for this reason on the top models.

If it has the damper it sounds like it's not working. Maybe someone scraped it on a gutter or something?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby WUNSIE on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:44 pm

I mentioned it to the dealer we purchased the wifes ASX from, as I also have a new GLS, and he is well aware of the shudder on take off, and said it is due to the rear axle trying to move almost 2 tonne of vehicle from a standing start, apparently Colorado,s and a few others also do it.
What I have found is they are also pretty sensitive to various tyre pressures.
I found a happy medium for me is 40psi Front, 38 psi Rear ( UNLADEN )
Whats good for me might not necessary be ideal for others.
One way to eliminate any shudder on take off, especially if you are subject to a lot of stop/start traffic is have it 4H, AWD, that way the front axle is sharing the load on taking off,40/60 (split F-R respectively )instant cure, and it WONT cause any issue by doing so.
For piece of mind go back for another test drive and try it out prior to committing
Hope that helps you out Dazza
Cheers bud, WUNSIE
WUNSIE

Postby Chriscgls on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:11 pm

Mine has a slight 'shutter' in first and second , not that bad, it's only very noticeable when going back to back with my dad's amarok, it doesn't shake the car just feels like the rear end is working hard to get it moving but it's a truck not a 7series BMW so not a real drama

Will be interesting to see what happens after another 10-15,000

Might have suspension and a spacer by then see if it disappears then
Chriscgls

Postby murwullambah on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:48 pm

I have an MQ GLS with about 6000 klms on it and cant really say i have noticed a shudder
murwullambah

Postby Machine48 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:48 am

Have a manual GLS with 2k on it and 1st is tall but no shudder.

be fitting the lift kit and tailshaft spacer soon so will be interesting.

If it's shuddering from brand new it won't get any better :)
Machine48

Postby ls2cruiser on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:25 pm

I have a MQ Triton twin cab ute GLX+ auto and it has a slight shudder on take off. It has done 500kms and is stock standard. I am not concerned about it at all.
Last edited by ls2cruiser on Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
ls2cruiser

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:40 pm

Perhaps you guys responding in this thread might like to add whether you have auto or manual and which model. It would also be useful to mention whether the vehicle had any load and how much. In my experience quite a small load in the tub was enough to make it go away

From my perspective it sounds like the MQ has the same issues as the ML/MN but no-one has come up with a solution like the centre bearing relocation that was done back in the ML days.

It's probably worth revisiting that driveline shudder is generally caused by unequal angles at the ends of the driveshaft. It doesn't have to be much - just a few degrees can make it unbearable or go away completely. That's why wedges are used in a suspension lift to tilt the front of the diff up so that the change of angle through the uni joint is reduced. Rotating the centre bearing generally helped too while dropping it made a huge difference.

Driveline shudder has nothing to do with tyre pressures and, if existing, will only get worse with a suspension lift, not better.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Next

Return to Suspension