MQ: Safari vs TJM Airtec snorkel?

Anything Triton 2016+ related

MQ: Safari vs TJM Airtec snorkel?

Postby jerrah on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:26 am

I know there are ML/MN snorkel threads but nothing specific to the MQ which has a different airbox design.

Ignoring the costs of the snorkel units I've discovered the following:

The installation instructions for the TJM unit isn't available online however I recently purchased one (haven't yet installed) but I have some concerns about the water-tightness of connection between the snorkel body and the airbox. The TJM design reuses the factory airbox to guard snorkel which has two unsealed panels in it, then uses silicon and foam gaskets to seal those panels and the snorkel -> adapter -> airbox tube -> airbox which could
a) potentially leak if a bad silicon job is done, or
b) make removal of the airbox in the future extremely difficult.
I'm not sure how likely I would be to remove the airbox in the future but I know I had to unbolt my MK airbox multiple times over 5 years to access various things in the engine bay.

9. Remove the air cleaner adapter tube from the base of the airbox by releasing the clips. 10. Along the sides of the original air cleaner adapter tube are 2 rectangular covers, one large and one small. Unclip the covers as shown in the photos. Remove the backing from the foam pads and place them in the adapter tube as shown. 11. Once the foam gasket is secured in the recess, replace the cover. Repeat for the other side. Silicon can be applied to the edges of the foam gaskets to decrease dust intrusion. 12. Using silicon run a bead around the end of the original adapter tube and refit to the airbox ensuring it clips in securely.
Doesn't sound hugely water tight!

The Safari snorkel throws away the factory airbox tube and instead rivets a round adapter into the airbox base. This is then again siliconed into the airbox. They then use a rubber hose squished through a factory oval hole in the bodywork to join the snorkel body to the adapter. The rubber hose would appear more watertight than the multiple silicon'ed connections in the TJM arrangement but:
a) round rubber hose is pushed through an oval metal hole that could potentially damage the hose over time,
b) Safari snorkel body is much larger / bulkier on the outside of the car,
c) requires a chunk to be cut out of the drivers side flare to enable the snorkel hole to pass through the guard.

I understand the Mitsubishi factory snorkel option also uses foam gaskets to seal the hard plastic pipes.

Any thoughts or experience with these snorkel units?
jerrah

Re: MQ: Safari vs TJM Airtec snorkel?

Postby Merts on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:12 am

I have a Safari, and it is very neat. Everything fits perfectly.

My mechanic's view is that the Safari is the best (by far) and they don't recommend fitting anything else.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Merts on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:07 pm

Here are some photos of the Safari snorkel on the guard and how it connects to the air box Jerrah.
snorkel1.jpg

snorkel2.jpg

snorkel3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jerrah on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Thanks for the photos Merts. That connecting pipe is rubber? It's so shiny!
jerrah

Postby Merts on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:00 pm

Yeah. I presume it's some sort of synthetic (plastic) material.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jerrah on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:40 pm

Here's some photos of the adapter that connects the TJM snorkel to the factory airbox inlet.
You can see an example of the foam used in the sealing gaskets and the step down in size from the snorkel to the airbox inlet. I imagine the Safari still needs to get through the same hole in the guard and will have the same restriction but have a straighter shot to the airbox because the snorkel sits lower on the guard. I assume that's why the Safari cuts through the flare.
Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
jerrah

Postby jerrah on Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:54 pm

Merts wrote:I presume it's some sort of synthetic (plastic) material.
I've got my hands on a Safari snorkel. The joining tube is made from rubber. Should be good.
jerrah

Postby Kiwi.mark on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:02 pm

Just wanted to know how your Airtec snorkel installation went? Are you happy with it? How did you make it water tight. Thinking of installing Airtec snorkel in my MQ. Love to see some pics of install if you have. Also do you still have the installation instructions? Would you mind posting them for me to have a look at?
Kiwi.mark

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:17 am

I always use Sikaflex instead of silicone for this sort of job, as it is an adhesive as well as a sealant.

Sikaflex will pretty much outlast humanity.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jerrah on Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:25 pm

Kiwi.mark wrote:Just wanted to know how your Airtec snorkel installation went?
I ended up fitting the Safari. I've previously fitted the Safari snorkels and was happier with the idea of using a rubber hose to join the body of the snorkel to the airbox and the snorkel head seems a bit better at dispersing water from the air stream. Installation went smoothly. I don't have the installation instructions anymore but they're available from their website.

I still have the TJM airtec in the box for sale. Nothing 'wrong' with it and I think it's probably better looking. Both would more or less do the same job.
jerrah

Return to General Discussion