Car advice 2016

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Car advice 2016

Postby Mayhem2015 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:45 pm

Has anyone had a look at this? http://www.caradvice.com.au/388419/ute- ... -amarok-2/

Interesting comparison and they are still drooling over the Ranger. The Amarok is also highly rated though I have heard there are issues emerging with them. And they are old now. Some of these utes are viewed with rose coloured lenses for sure.

The issues with the triton really are that the stock suspension is rubbish and they had issues with the steering. I have heard other have issues with the triton steering too. MN and MQ though I really like the steering in my MN. All other things can be attributed to the fact that Mitsubishi seam to aim for bottom rung on price point. Also the tow bar was very low and made contact with the ground. Some in the comparison didn't even have a towbar so to get marked down for that was weird.

With most of those utes people tend to change the suspension to suit needs anyway. Extra lift or to suit towing. I am biased for sure but the Triton didn't deserve such a low rating. With the money you save off the lot you can fix the problems and end up with a ute better than the others for sure.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Re: Car advice 2016

Postby aids84 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:15 am

Mayhem2015 wrote:The Amarok is also highly rated though I have heard there are issues emerging with them.

We have replaced more engine in Amaroks due to overheating than we have in Tritons/Challengers due to the block machining problems. The EGR cooler in the Amarok is susceptible to letting go suddenly and dumping coolant through the exhaust/intake. They cook themselves very quickly to the point of very low compression and get towed in. All the 4D56's we have replaced have been running as normal when brought into the workshop
Last edited by aids84 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gspy4u on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:15 am

Be interesting to see when VW bring out the V6 3.0l turbo diesel version in there next model. Now that should get up and go.
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tomdej on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:54 am

The V6 Amarok has huge disc rotors which will give good braking but limits wheels to a 20" minimum with a low profile tyre. Getting off road tyres in that size will be difficult, and forget about being able to air down for extra traction.
It should be a great on road ute but next to useless for any serious off road use.
tomdej
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:59 am

aids84 wrote:
Mayhem2015 wrote:The Amarok is also highly rated though I have heard there are issues emerging with them.

We have replaced more engine in Amaroks due to overheating than we have in Tritons/Challengers due to the block machining problems. The EGR cooler in the Amarok is susceptible to letting go suddenly and dumping coolant through the exhaust/intake. They cook themselves very quickly to the point of very low compression and get towed in. All the 4D56's we have replaced have been running as normal when brought into the workshop

Yet another hand grenade, eh? Guess we don't hear that much about these, this being a Triton forum but, jeez, I reckon these little motors are just time bombs. So glad I bought a 3.2.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:27 am

So far there's not one unit out there that offers enough to justify dropping my ml.

Touch wood, it should keep going for around another 8 to 10yrs (with the anticipated maintenance) and keep the money in my account instead of feeding some finance mob.

If someone could only come up with a rocker cover design that didn't require opening up the fuel system every time you want to adjust the valves.

Regarding some of the engine issues, I wonder how many issues are their owners/drivers fault? The amount of people that never bother to check under the hood or simply have no mechanical 'empathy' then wonder when the engine is cooked or the clutch is prematurely down to the rivets. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:24 pm

I know 14 other MN owners and they haven't had any issues (yet). A lot of problems appeared after the voluntary recall. I suspect many vehicles that would have otherwise been fine failed due to hot spots in the cylinder head caused by improper cooling system air purging.

This is one thing that will prematurely kill these engines.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby braydenc on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:39 pm

Longranger1 wrote:I know 14 other MN owners and they haven't had any issues (yet). A lot of problems appeared after the voluntary recall. I suspect many vehicles that would have otherwise been fine failed due to hot spots in the cylinder head caused by improper cooling system air purging.

This is one thing that will prematurely kill these engines.

40thou in mine and not a issue yet had the tonys mod EGR for 10000ks 5000 highway 5000 4wding basic beach but heavy load camping stuff.
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
braydenc

Return to General Discussion