MQ oil filter

Anything Triton 2016+ related

MQ oil filter

Postby murwullambah on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Loving the new MQ triton so far, just had a look at the oil filter, gosh its tiny, Z456 of a magna i believe, cheaper but just seems very small compared to the MN filter
murwullambah

Re: MQ oil filter

Postby Rain on Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:49 am

Yea i was surprised myself. I do all the servicing meself and mq has the smallest oil filter I have ever seen on any diesel. Must have something to do with the new engine design.
Rain

Postby murwullambah on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:32 pm

Rain wrote:Yea i was surprised myself. I do all the servicing meself and mq has the smallest oil filter I have ever seen on any diesel. Must have something to do with the new engine design.

How do you go on getting book signed /stamped for warranty, doing your own servicing.
murwullambah

Postby Rain on Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:28 am

I don't tbh..I have never paid any dealer any amount of money for servicing on any of the cars I have ever owned. I know it is risky, etc but I can't justify paying ridiculous amounts to the dealer just to change the engine oil, oil filter and basically to do a visual inspection of all the other bits on the car. I'd probably take it to the dealer for the 60,000km service which is coming up in a few months as it involves valve clearance adjustments, etc.

Cheers.
Rain

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:56 am

Does the mq still need half the plumbing removed to get the rocker cover off?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby red dragin on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:24 am

murwullambah wrote:
Rain wrote:Yea i was surprised myself. I do all the servicing meself and mq has the smallest oil filter I have ever seen on any diesel. Must have something to do with the new engine design.

How do you go on getting book signed /stamped for warranty, doing your own servicing.

In my case have a father who is a mechanic who can stamp, and a basic knowledge of the consumer laws regarding servicing. :)

Mind you, I'm paying some mug to do the valve adjustment, screw doing that myself!
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

Postby murwullambah on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:42 pm

I supose if you keep reciepts for oil filter etc they cant really say it hasnt been serviced to the book
murwullambah

Postby Rain on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:15 pm

The problem with servicing yourself is that the dealers would straightaway reject any warranty claim you make on the car. But they have to prove that your actions directly caused the issue and they can't blindly reject all of the warranty claims.

I used to own a hyundai iload and just before the warranty period expired the internals of the catalytic converter collapsed blocking the whole exhaust. The van had no service records whatsoever but the dealer couldn't reject the warranty claim as the catalytic converter is not a serviced item and there is no way that my servicing could have affected it. However, it could have ended differently if something had gone wrong with the engine itself.

You could show them your service records, but you would probably have to take them to court to get anything out of dealers these days. I have seen dealers reject claims on cars with full dealer service records.

The way I see it, I have serviced cars myself for many years and have saved thousands over those years. If something does go wrong then I'll have to fork out the cash and get it fixed.

Did the 45000km on mine recently and bought all genuine mitsubishi parts from the dealer. Part cost was just over $100 and 10 litres of penrite DL1 cost me around $85. The total cost would've been around 200 all up and that is nearly a $400 saving compared to what the dealer charges. If the dealers had the servicing cost set at around $350 then I would never bother to do it myself.
Rain

Return to General Discussion