Tow bar water tank

Anything Triton 2016+ related

Tow bar water tank

Postby dan40d on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:22 am

Hi guys,
Was wanting put a small water tank under the tray of the MQ for washing hands, watering the dog etc. A few searches led me to the various PVC ones that people have made, so I came up with this. It's 150mm PVC, about 950 long and holds about 17L. To secure it in place I used U bolts, square ones around the tow bar into some unistrut, then round ones over the top, simple and very secure. Made a bracket to attach the tap to the trailer plug bracket on the tow bar.

Came out looking pretty neat. Apologies for the crappy iPhone pics.

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture
Dan.
PB Challenger.
dan40d

Re: Tow bar water tank

Postby dan40d on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:45 am

Tex, U bolts came from Blackwoods, about $13 for the lot, and the unistrut was an off cut I scabbed from work. You could use bigger 225mm pipe for the tank, but you sacrifice the the ability to lower the spare with the supplied tools.
Dan.
PB Challenger.
dan40d

Postby Belbrook on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:20 pm

dan40d wrote:Tex, U bolts came from Blackwoods, about $13 for the lot, and the unistrut was an off cut I scabbed from work. You could use bigger 225mm pipe for the tank, but you sacrifice the the ability to lower the spare with the supplied tools.

If you wanted to use bigger pvc pipe you could heat it up with a heat gun and gently push the top down with a metal bar where the spare rod goes across the top. Hope that makes sense

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
Not bad for an old bloke
Belbrook

Postby viking shippy on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Belbrook wrote:
dan40d wrote:Tex, U bolts came from Blackwoods, about $13 for the lot, and the unistrut was an off cut I scabbed from work. You could use bigger 225mm pipe for the tank, but you sacrifice the the ability to lower the spare with the supplied tools.

If you wanted to use bigger pvc pipe you could heat it up with a heat gun and gently push the top down with a metal bar where the spare rod goes across the top. Hope that makes sense

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

great idea
belbrook

------------------------
Cheers VS
I don't miss my old
viking shippy

Postby Snooozy on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:05 pm

I used a few extra fittings so the wheel winder was still usable. It did increase the cost but also gave me a higher capacity,has been very handy over the past few years.

I have done a few trips on rough roads & it has held up very well.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7379&start=100#p231459
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Duck on Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:51 am

Good idea but I used that spot for second battery, but would love some water :?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby dan40d on Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:34 pm

Never thought of putting the battery there, that's a good spot. You could use the larger 225mm pipe on one side of the towball and still have roughly the same capacity, and have the battery on the other side still allowing for spare tyre lowering. Hmmmm, got me thinking now.
Dan.
PB Challenger.
dan40d

Postby kshep89 on Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:11 pm

I have a 225mm tank in this spot and a 150mm one that's pipe clamped to one of the lateral beams that the tray is spot welded to. Together I think they hold around 60l, as mentioned above you can't use the spare wheel winder though - a screwdriver will do. To plumb them together and to the tap fitting I use the pre made "under sink" hoses with the steel braid over them that you can buy at any hardware store. No chance the rocks will damage the hoses then.
kshep89

Return to General Discussion