MQ Warm up time ?

Anything Triton 2016+ related

MQ Warm up time ?

Postby master_manoj on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:29 am

Hello All

Thank you for the amount of info that's in here.
It does really help in understanding how the new MQ is performing.
Just wanted to ask you MQ owners out there

"Every morning specially in Winter Do I still have to let the engine warm up like the i have to in my current 2006 Hilux D4d" :?
In my current Hillux I do have to wait 3-5 mins or sometimes more when it has a cold start before it reaches the correct driving temp
Any comments or advise would be really helpful .
I am making up my mind whether to buy another Hilux or Settle for my 1st ever Triton (exceed) :D
I am very impressed with the extras that’s it comes with and is a very good value for the money.
Just that the time spent in warming up the Diesel Engine puts me off :roll:
Thank you in advance
Happy to be directed to another post if this has been covered already for 2016 models.
Cheers
Max
master_manoj

Re: MQ Warm up time ?

Postby OffRoadDave on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:45 am

People still warm up cars? I get in, glow it till the light goes out, hit the starter, wait maybe 10 seconds for oil pressure to stabilise, and then drive. I don't flog it, just take it easy for the 1st 10 minutes then after that drive as normal.
OffRoadDave

Postby JBH23 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:01 pm

In the old carby days, yes. These days, not so much.

The majority of your engine wear happens during warm up. That being said, driving it cold IMO is only going to be bad if you flog it.. ie. heavy load or high rpm before it hits operating temp. How long it takes to warm up is of course dependent on how cold it is, but the difference between here in sunny FNQ and the cooler south in terms of how long it takes to reach operating temp wouldn't be much.

When i'm late for work for example, I personally don't see any problems starting it and driving cold. But I will never really see much more than idle rpm until it warms up. Then it gets the beans :lol:
JBH23

Postby red dragin on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:06 pm

With my MN, glow it, start it, do up the kids belt, hop in, drive away sensibly.
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:46 pm

master_manoj wrote:In my current Hillux I do have to wait 3-5 mins or sometimes more when it has a cold start before it reaches the correct driving temp
Any comments or advise would be really helpful .

Obviously not a diesel. I could leave mine for half an hour and it still wouldn't be fully warmed up. Plus, that's just the engine. A stationary warmup does nothing for gearbox, diffs and other components.

As said by others, glow it, start it and drive off, taking it a bit easy for the first kilometre or so.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby master_manoj on Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:13 pm

Thank you guys for the quick response

It does clear the air :)

Cheers
master_manoj

Postby Logzy on Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:51 pm

Welcome to the future.
Logzy

Return to General Discussion